Poll: How many Guitarists is too many?
Poll Options
View poll results: How many Guitarists is too many?
14 6%
132 52%
107 42%
Voters: 253.
Page 1 of 3
So how many guitarists do you think is too much to have in a band?
Quote by RPGoof
Heavy metal indicates you are using meth, LSD, ecstasy or cocaine.
I really think 3 is pushing it... White Chapel has no reason to have 3 and same with Iron Maiden...
"If its the audience whos a bit lagging we just kick em in the nuts till they wake up!"
Bruce Dickinson-Iron Maiden

My Gear:
RG 2? (its white with EMG's)
Crate GT220, 120 watts of absolute awesome!
Quote by Honkers
I really think 3 is pushing it... White Chapel has no reason to have 3 and same with Iron Maiden...

Iron Maiden uses its three guitarists very well
Quote by Honkers

This.
3 is ok, 4 is too much
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Bang Camaro has three guitarists and a bassist. They use them all well.

But then again, they've got 10+ guys singing in a "rock choir"...
Quote by HorizonShadow
Just eat the headstock.

That'll make you look mad.
3 is a little pushy, but if it works for your band just do it.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
Quote by Honkers

This.

One rhythm, one lead is more than enough.
You don't want a 3rd guitarist there standing there for the chill and play some occasional chords which either of the two guitarists can play...

Even, too many guitars = clog up mids + highs. You won't be able to hear much of the bass...
It's all got to do with how you write your song... It's usually most convenient to write a song for two guitars, but you could do three or even four if you know what you're doing.
I say three is sometimes overkill. But when I say that I mean bands that have three guitars playing constantly (i.e. not Radiohead).
Quote by af_the_fragile
You won't be able to hear much of the bass...

you say this like it's a bad thing....

but yeah, 3 really is too many
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
Quote by af_the_fragile
This.

One rhythm, one lead is more than enough.
You don't want a 3rd guitarist there standing there for the chill and play some occasional chords which either of the two guitarists can play...

Even, too many guitars = clog up mids + highs. You won't be able to hear much of the bass...

And????
Where's the option for 7?
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Quote by Honkers

3 guitars allow to harmonize solos while still having a rhythm guitar during the solos.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

I want to see a 12 guitar band, and they all play all the notes in the octave all at once. It wouldn't be good, but I want to see it.
If they are all played in a way that none of them over power each other and they all sound good (ie: Broken Social Scene, Explosions in the Sky), then there really can't be too many guitars.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
no one fuckin cares
you don't need three. and wll NEVER need four. you're not going to have 2 rythm guitarist and two leads soloing or 3 leads soloing. some bands have relly unnecessary guitarists
Reason for 3.

guitar = Clean guitar or acoustic
guitar = Rhythm
guitar = Lead

or

guitar = Harmony guitar
guitar = Rhythm
guitar = Lead
3 can work most of the time.

4 is pretty much an insane waste of a body. Only use 4 if you have a bad case of friendinthebandwhoyoucantkickout.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Quote by LazySandman

but yeah, 3 really is too many

Wha?
It is a bad thing!!
In a track you should be able to hear all the individual instruments. Even though they might be subtle or not very loud, the track should still have the clarity so that you can be able to distinguish between the individual instruments.

Just something from production 101!
Last edited by af_the_fragile at Sep 14, 2008,
Quote by Les Paul57
you don't need three. and wll NEVER need four. you're not going to have 2 rythm guitarist and two leads soloing or 3 leads soloing. some bands have relly unnecessary guitarists

You don't need 3, but it's very easy to have a 3rd guitar part in songs, even if you exclude harmonising. But 4 is definately to many. Just get keys.
If you want a duel-solo with a rythym going on, it would work. Or if a lot of the stuff is harmonized, it would work. Regular rock bands usually have 1 or two. I think a lead and rythym is fine enough, and maybe if the singer also plays a little guitar to play some rythym while those two guitars are playing lead.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
Quote by Echoplex
i think that multiple basses are unneccesarry

Multiple basses doesn't work unless one is playing high notes, which defeats the point. Bass notes need more room, that's why you don't play chords low on a piano, it sounds horrible.
I think it depends on the style. For example, IMO you only need 2 guitarists in a thrash metal band in order to keep the guitars sounding simple, clear, raw, but at the same time agrressive.
oh and lately i've been listening to a lot of classical.
They can do with like 20 violins and 6 double basses in the orchestra...

You could do with many guitars too... As long as you know what you're doing...
Quote by iimjpii
It's all got to do with how you write your song... It's usually most convenient to write a song for two guitars, but you could do three or even four if you know what you're doing.

true, but theory is really stupid once you actually learn it. At first you think you need it, then you realize its dumb.......why?
A true musician plays with feeling,heart,emotion, and the most important thing ever..............your freaking EARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wish all you theory bull$hitters would quit holding up the rest of us.
Cuz anyone who has ever come across someone like that, whether at school or maybe you even have one in your band, you hear things like "that doesn't fit, thats not right."
Face it, the only reason you went into theory is because other players were more advanced than you, and you thought it was the theory deal. NOPE, DEAD WRONG!!!!!! It means you are not yet fully dedicated to the instrument you are playing so you dive into a world of rhetorical bull$hit and once you're done.......u are still back where you started, yeah you may think you're the shizit but your playing still sux. Theory is a cover up for all the people who don't feel the emotion of an instrument, which is the whole reason you started playing in the first place, or is it ? maybe you need to check yourself on whether you picked an instrument for a blessing or a freaking competition.
Quote by LazySandman
Quote by af_the_fragile

Quote by Hot_Money420
Quote by af_the_fragile
And????

I don't even play bass, but you're both pretty stupid. Listen to a band that actually uses the bass player to play stuff other than following the guitarists instead of almost every other crappy band out there.
Quote by jdF250
true, but theory is really stupid once you actually learn it. At first you think you need it, then you realize its dumb.......why?
A true musician plays with feeling,heart,emotion, and the most important thing ever..............your freaking EARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cuz anyone who has ever come across someone like that, whether at school or maybe you even have one in your band, you hear things like "that doesn't fit, thats not right."
Face it, the only reason you went into theory is because other players were more advanced than you, and you thought it was the theory deal. NOPE, DEAD WRONG!!!!!! It means you are not yet fully dedicated to the instrument you are playing so you dive into a world of rhetorical bull$hit and once you're done.......u are still back where you started, yeah you may think you're the shizit but your playing still sux. Theory is a cover up for all the people who don't feel the emotion of an instrument, which is the whole reason you started playing in the first place, or is it ? maybe you need to check yourself on whether you picked an instrument for a blessing or a freaking competition.

Okay, well good luck improvising completely with your ears. I'm sure you will come up with a great solo, on the spot, by hitting whatever note you can find.

Theory isn't there to control everything you do, a good knowledge of theory will help you write things faster. Say you are writing, the whole time you could be searching for specific notes, and spending a long time doing so, when you could be using the same scale all the way through. If you realise this ... is the scale you are using, you will be able to work out the notes much quicker.
Quote by jdF250

1. Where the fuck did that come from? He mentioned writing a song, not theory.

2. You're pretty ignorant if you think that knowing theory = lack of emotion.

3. You're using theory when you write anyways, you just don't know it. That's why the notes sound good together dumbass!
3 is too much. Only reason Iron Maiden pulls it off is cause they harmonize a lot, so
1 Rythm
1 Lead
1 Harmonized
3 is good. 4 is overkill.

Quote by jdF250

I agree. I enjoy playing with emotion because all my music playing about emotion, and I can't stand to listen to people who can't play with emotion. They suck because they can't play with emotion, so I only listen to guitarists who play with emotion.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by jdF250

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Page 1 of 3