hey guys, ive tryed out a lot of amps at the store, and these are pretty good.

the Vox ad100vt sound pretty sick at high volumes but not good at low volumes for practicing in my room, but i want to be able to gig later on in life.

the spider valve is pretty good too but doesnt have that many effects on it.

my budget is around $1000

oh and im in australia so stock is more limited than U.S

i play metal and hard rock

What would you suggest?
The Vox with OD or Dist. pedal
Or Spider with OD or Dist. pedal
Or what other amp?

thanks.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Last edited by SOADriff at Sep 14, 2008,
What genre are you playing? What's your budget? Can you go used? Where do you live?

I wouldn't suggest either amp, but the spider valve is probably the better of the two.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
What genre are you playing? What's your budget? Can you go used? Where do you live?

I wouldn't suggest either amp, but the spider valve is probably the better of the two.

Dude, the Spider Valve still has the Spider III preamp. The only real difference is the power amp.

The Vox is more bang for the buck, most definitely.
^They have tube preamps, you could turn off the modeling part. I would never get a 100 watt solid state head.
+1 on the AC30 if you can afford it. With your budget I don't recommend either of your two choices, although the Spider Valve is all tube and the better of the two in terms of both tone and versatility.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by Kevin Saale
^They have tube preamps, you could turn off the modeling part. I would never get a 100 watt solid state head.

And I'd never buy an amp based on method of amplification. The Spider Valve sounds like a slightly better Spider, with the bonus of sounding the same at high volumes instead of mushy nasty mush.

The Vox sounds better IMO.
True, but I haven't really played either, I mainly posted to ask those questions.
vox dude the sound quality is awesome whatever setting as long as you set the correct parameters,the pre amp is ideal for home use and the tube valve works fine.
my bagder stares at me.....
At $1000 I don't know why you'd consider either of those amps. The Vox modelling amps make great little practice amps when you stick to the <$200 30w amps. However, you can do MUCH better in your price range.

I'd suggest trolling Craigslist, EBay, local pawn shops, and the traders forum to see what kind of deal you can dig up.
My Gear:
'05 ESP LTD EC-400
'67 Gibson ES-120T (Original)
'05 Vox AD30VT
'65 Fender Deluxe Reverb Black Face (Original)
with a $1000 budget, theres no point in getting a modeling amp. whats your style?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I own the spider valve 112. Just because it has the name spider in it doesn't mean its crap, its not the best amp out there, but it is a pretty good amp and it sounds miles better than the spider III. I recommend it.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by Kevin Saale

Unless its a Sunn or Ampeg
Having extensively played the Spider Valve, it most certainly does not sound like a slightly better Spider. With tweaking, the Spider Valve can get some great sounds out of it.

I own the 30W version of the Vox and though it's good, the Spider Valve is just an all around better amp imo. I don't know where you're coming from saying the AD100VT sounds better at high volumes than low volumes though, it should be the opposite and is with mine

Though, at $1000 AUS, I'm sure there's better amps out there, unless you're playing EVERYTHING.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
^+1
and no hes in australia things are way more expensive there.
Look at flextone, there better amps than both of those.
Also look into crate V amps there a good bang for your buck, more so than the spider and the vox, i would recomend the crate over both of these.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Having extensively played the Spider Valve, it most certainly does not sound like a slightly better Spider. With tweaking, the Spider Valve can get some great sounds out of it.

I own the 30W version of the Vox and though it's good, the Spider Valve is just an all around better amp imo. I don't know where you're coming from saying the AD100VT sounds better at high volumes than low volumes though, it should be the opposite and is with mine

Though, at $1000 AUS, I'm sure there's better amps out there, unless you're playing EVERYTHING.

+1

I bought the Spider Valve 112 before I tried Spider III for the heck of it, the SV is definitely not a Spider III.

If you really hate the Spider III preamp, just stick some other multiFX with modelling preamps into the Spider's Power Amp In... I do that with my Boss GT3.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
People, this thread is almost two months old, let it die, I reported the poster who necroed it.
Quote by Kevin Saale
People, this thread is almost two months old, let it die, I reported the poster who necroed it.

Damn, I usually catch that too.

<--- n00b
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

Damn, I usually catch that too.

<--- n00b

I wouldn't have noticed had I not posted in this thread two months ago.