-----9------------|
-----9-------12---|
-----8-------13---|
-----9-------11---|
-----7------------|
-------------12---|

I am guessing they are barre chords, but I can't get the middle/ring/pinky fingers positioned correctly. For the first chord I have come up with ring on D, middle on G and pinky trying badly to double stop on B and E, but it feels extremely awkward and wrong.

Thanks
i play it with my thumb

thumb on A string (7 fret)
middle on D(9 fret)
index on G(8 fret)
ring and pinky on b and e(9 fret)

its awkward but SRV was a great player who could do awkward

the second chord is much easier

use thumb for the E note (12 fret), mute out the A string and use normal fingering.
Don't play the root.

Also, for they're 6 chords. It's easy to play them with the root on the 6th string, but they aren't barres.
I do a little of both of the above posts, I drop the root from the 1st chord and and use my thumb for the root of the 2nd chord.
Stop whining and learn your theory!

Quote by oddhawk676
Yeah, some black guy with a yankees cap walks into the ice cream parlor, and I said "We dont serve your kind here," as in, yankee fans, i guess he thought something else and left.
I've never seen that first chord correctly transcribed, including tabs here on UG, and even in guitar mags, songbooks.

If you have the live at El Mocambo dvd, there's a nice shot of him playing it, it looks like this:

-9-
-9-
-8-
-6-
-x-
-7-

fingering is middle finger on sixth string, pinky barred across top two strings.

The second chord you have is correct. SRV played that with middle finger on sixth string also.