Page 1 of 2
ok so my drummer is a little control freak... but i will let him go to a certain limit. for example were currently thinking of a band name and he says d.o.g. (desendents of god) i think that went a little to far and confronted him. now he says it should be fasischnation or sumthin... he says it means nation under dictatorship. i say it sounds too much like fasination and will confuse people.

but thats not why im here, he says our "logo" should be a picture of the burning twin towers and our name in front of it. i think it would offend some people that has friends/ family who died there. were a "political band" (cause hes the lycersist) but thats going way too far. Comments?
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
part of Trumpet Player's Alliance
Pimus sucks group
80s rock group
Quote by frozen_soul
ummm testicular cancer?
Don't do it man, that was a sad day.
Gear:
Squier Strat
Cordoba 20TM-CE Acoustic Electric Tenor Uke
Bugera V22
Yea, the names seriously suck, and the logo idea is just ****ed up. I think you should use a picture of an aborted baby as your logo and call yourselves "Abortionation"... Or not... I've been drinking... aghh...
Yeah, I forgot to add, D.O.G just doesn't sound like a good name.
Gear:
Squier Strat
Cordoba 20TM-CE Acoustic Electric Tenor Uke
Bugera V22
well our previous names he came up with were (first to last):

spontaneous combustion
Crucial Injustice
System of Anarchy
System against system
d.o.g.
Fasisnation

so we changed it about 5 times but he doesnt like them after a week.
(\__/)
Pimus sucks group
80s rock group
Quote by frozen_soul
ummm testicular cancer?
Quote by KewlChristian
ok so my drummer is a little control freak... but i will let him go to a certain limit. for example were currently thinking of a band name and he says d.o.g. (desendents of god) i think that went a little to far and confronted him. now he says it should be fasischnation or sumthin... he says it means nation under dictatorship. i say it sounds too much like fasination and will confuse people.

but thats not why im here, he says our "logo" should be a picture of the burning twin towers and our name in front of it. i think it would offend some people that has friends/ family who died there. were a "political band" (cause hes the lycersist) but thats going way too far. Comments?

my drummer is also the control freak of the band stupid bitch. She says she owns the band because she writes most of the songs but its only because she doesnt accept anyone elses input.

Also logo will probably offend some
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Does your drummer happen to skateboard?

Your logo would offend 300 million Americans and millions more in other countries. Likewise, you shouldn't use imagery of the 7/7 bombings, the Madrid train bombings, Hurricanes Ike and Katrina, or any other event that has led to death and destruction. If you want to be dark, use something like the "Kill 'em All" cover; that doesn't reference any specific event, it's just menacing and violent, which may be controversial, but not a vile display as anything I said above would be. I can assure you, no record company except for Taliban Records, LLC would distrubute an album with a cover depicting the twin towers burning.

I bet he thinks it was an "inside job," too.
yes he skateboards but i do too.
(\__/)
Pimus sucks group
80s rock group
Quote by frozen_soul
ummm testicular cancer?
Last edited by KewlChristian at Sep 14, 2008,
i think it's sad that you actually have to ask that question. i mean, come on, do you have any brain cells between your ears?
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
My band is a highly political band with a far left agenda, and that logo idea, as well as the names are terrible. What your drummer is, is a kid who thinks he knows what Anarchy is, and thinks a political agenda based on violence is a good thing. I would definitely talk with him about his 'politics' and make sure you agree with them. Is if you want to be associated with those kinds of things. Also, if you want to piss him off, tell him that using a logo with the twin towers is no better than than Republican fear mongering.
Eyes
Quote by woodenbandman
My dear man, I must petition you for photographic evidence, or the described events cannot be verified, and will be written off as fallacy.
Agreed with everyone so far, just don't do it, you'll be about as popular as rabies.

As for the name, theres already several bands called Dog.
Quote by bangoodcharlote

Your logo would offend 300 million Americans and millions more in other countries. Likewise, you shouldn't use imagery of the 7/7 bombings, the Madrid train bombings, Hurricanes Ike and Katrina, or any other event that has led to death and destruction. If you want to be dark, use something like the "Kill 'em All" cover; that doesn't reference any specific event, it's just menacing and violent, which may be controversial, but not a vile display as anything I said above would be. I can assure you, no record company except for Taliban Records, LLC would distrubute an album with a cover depicting the twin towers burning.

part in bold: is that really a record label? and i'm sure euronymous' label would have signed the band, but only if there music was black metal...

and yeh, just talk to the rest of the band and get everyone to tell him that its all way too offensive, and he might stop

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Offensive sure, but more importantly: juvenile, over-the-top, and not at all catchy or clever.
Even if your whole goal is to be offensive you should veto his ideas based on these other factors. It won't make you guys appear to be angry leftists, it will make you appear to be attention-grabbing douches.
dude, i make jokes about stuff like that but common sense still tells me thats not the best idea. and whats with all the system names? seriously, do you want people think you're a SOAD cover band or something.
Quote by bangoodcharlote

Leftover Crack - Fuck World Trade

What did you come here for? To check with us if it was a bad idea?
Quote by oZone_TNS

What did you come here for? To check with us if it was a bad idea?

well ya he told me it was a good idea i ddnt think so, hopefully more people would be on my side.
(\__/)
Pimus sucks group
80s rock group
Quote by frozen_soul
ummm testicular cancer?
Quote by oZone_TNS
That is among the most base pieces of art ever created and it makes me ashamed to be of their same species.
Thats ridiculous, its one thing to be a political band but the 9/11 picture is going way too far.
I say do it. Yeah its offensive, but the people who would want to listen to you wouldnt find it offensive, so in a sense you wouldnt offend your target market, so who cares.
Quote by CircuitTrigger
I say do it. Yeah its offensive, but the people who would want to listen to you wouldnt find it offensive, so in a sense you wouldnt offend your target market, so who cares.

But the initial image would drive off people who could potentially listen to your music otherwise. Which is more important: being a "rebel", or getting fans?
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Quote by Black Star
But the initial image would drive off people who could potentially listen to your music otherwise. Which is more important: being a "rebel", or getting fans?

Yeah I get that, but im just saying, I know people who would listen to the band because of that image. And if the image represented the band, then they would enjoy it.
Quote by CircuitTrigger
Yeah I get that, but im just saying, I know people who would listen to the band because of that image. And if the image represented the band, then they would enjoy it.
The thought to exploit that image comes only from the most sordid sanctum of the human mind.
Quote by CircuitTrigger

So instead of respecting the families of people who died in those attacks, you're saying his band should exploit the image of 9/11 so they can gain a little infamy for their band. If I had a relative or friend who died on 9/11 I would be deeply offended by that. And by the way I can tell you that I personally wouldn't listen to a band if they used that image as their logo.
Quote by OpposingForce
So instead of respecting the families of people who died in those attacks, you're saying his band should exploit the image of 9/11 so they can gain a little infamy for their band. If I had a relative or friend who died on 9/11 I would be deeply offended by that. And by the way I can tell you that I personally wouldn't listen to a band if they used that image as their logo.

Yeah, I wouldnt listen to their band either, im just saying, if thats the route they want to go in, there are people out there who would listen to them, so they shouldnt censor themselves just because it offends people.
i can see where circuit is coming from, but there are moral lines drawn in the sand that you just don't cross. this is one of those lines, and that's crossing it.
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
Quote by CircuitTrigger

Yeah, they probably would, if the band were all out of hospital at any one time together long enough for them to play any actual gigs, which of course would also rely on anyone booking them. No venue owner in their right mind is gonna risk having them on because if it all kicks off at one of their gigs because of their imagery, it's their venue that's gonna need re-building.

They may see it as an image that would get them noticed and therefore help their music career by gaining notoriety, which quite often equals fame, but it would actualy be more of a hindrance that would cause them more problems than it's worth.
Weigh it up.
Yeah, it'll get 'em noticed, but in entirely the wrong way, it will draw the attention of every gun toting patriotic person with a chip on their shoulder in America.
And it's not like they can try it out just to see if it works then drop the image if it causes too many problems, once they have that image, it'll never go away, they'll be stuck with it and their musical career will be over.
Your reputation as a performing artist is your most important commodity, once you damage that, it doesn't matter if your the greatest musicians in the world, you WILL be screwed.

I people wanna shock, fine, but know where to draw the line or it'll be more of a disadvantage than an advantage.
Look at Marilyn Manson for instance, one of the biggest shock rock acts in the world.
He can dress up like a freak, big deal.
He can rag on religion, seen it before.
He can advocate drugs, jeez, who doesn't nowadays?
Individualy all these points mean very little, all together in one act, it makes quite a shocking spectacle but he's still not doing anything that's gonna have someone reaching for a gun.
Y'see, even he ain't stupid enough to try and take advantage of the recently deceased who were innocent victims of terrorism by basing a band image on them. It tends to make the loved ones of those deceased angry enough to want to hurt you.

Now if they were to have a picture of a hanging Saddam for instance, that could probably be OK in America because most people would say he deserved it.
It's still a shocking image, a body on a rope, but it's kind of an acceptable shocking image.

But don't that in Iraq.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Sep 15, 2008,
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Yeah, they probably would, if the band were all out of hospital at any one time together long enough for them to play any actual gigs, which of course would also rely on anyone booking them. No venue owner in their right mind is gonna risk having them on because if it all kicks off at one of their gigs because of their imagery, it's their venue that's gonna need re-building.

They may see it as an image that would get them noticed and therefore help their music career by gaining notoriety, which quite often equals fame, but it would actualy be more of a hindrance that would cause them more problems than it's worth.
Weigh it up.
Yeah, it'll get 'em noticed, but in entirely the wrong way, it will draw the attention of every gun toting patriotic person with a chip on their shoulder in America.
And it's not like they can try it out just to see if it works then drop the image if it causes too many problems, once they have that image, it'll never go away, they'll be stuck with it and their musical career will be over.
Your reputation as a performing artist is your most important commodity, once you damage that, it doesn't matter if your the greatest musicians in the world, you WILL be screwed.

I people wanna shock, fine, but know where to draw the line or it'll be more of a disadvantage than an advantage.
Look at Marilyn Manson for instance, one of the biggest shock rock acts in the world.
He can dress up like a freak, big deal.
He can rag on religion, seen it before.
He can advocate drugs, jeez, who doesn't nowadays?
Individualy all these points mean very little, all together in one act, it makes quite a shocking spectacle but he's still not doing anything that's gonna have someone reaching for a gun.
Y'see, even he ain't stupid enough to try and take advantage of the recently deceased who were innocent victims of terrorism by basing a band image on them. It tends to make the loved ones of those deceased angry enough to want to hurt you.

Now if they were to have a picture of a hanging Saddam for instance, that could probably be OK in America because most people would say he deserved it.
It's still a shocking image, a body on a rope, but it's kind of an acceptable shocking image.

But don't that in Iraq.

idk the people would see a body on a rope and think its not right.
(\__/)
Pimus sucks group
80s rock group
Quote by frozen_soul
ummm testicular cancer?
Quote by KewlChristian
idk the people would see a body on a rope and think its not right.

Some (but only a small percentage) probably would, but many people will see the guilty body of a person who upset so many people he ended up on the end of a rope, kinda like a warning.
Which is a much different thing to something that reprisents thousands of innocent bodies.

General rule of thumb, image wise, dead evil people = a shocking image that is still kinda acceptable, dead innocents = a shocking image that's not acceptable.
Quote by OpposingForce
So instead of respecting the families of people who died in those attacks, you're saying his band should exploit the image of 9/11 so they can gain a little fame for their band.

Slight edit and we see that it worked wonders for several country music musicians....
Well, I do recall reading in Marilyn Manson's biography about how he wiped his ass on the American flag in concert once. Guess that counts for something.

D.O.G. is a rather interesting name. There's a hint of irony in there. I mean, 'Descendants of God'? Dog? See the connection? I like the irony of it, but it gives a rather self-defeating image. Plus, the letters D.O.G. wouldn't look all too great with the Twin Towers.

If you guys really believe in the political message behind your music and that logo image, then just go for it. Why the hell not? People will get offended, but that's a given if you're going to be in any kind of band with some radical message. If you actually do have a statement you want to make, but are afraid that other people's feelings will get hurt, you should either grow a pair, or write songs for Britney Spears.

What I don't understand is that how does your drummer being the lyricist make you guys a political band? If you guys don't share the common political views, then why even bother having a political message? It's going to cause a lot of problems if you guys aren't together on the same page. In fact, you guys might even want to consider even having a political message or not. Even if one of you guys disagree with each other's views, you might as well just not add a political message. Focus on the music. You don't have to have a message to make good music.

I apologize if I sound a bit unclear. It's about 12 in the morning, and I've been slaving away at homework for a good 5 hours. Anyways, I'll be back later to add more and clarify a bit as well. Buh bye.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
General rule of thumb, image wise, dead evil people = a shocking image that is still kinda acceptable
I think the depiction of an actual dead person killed in a violent way would cause outcries by all the music watchdog organizations; censoring lyrics is stupid, though it's reasonable to keep R-rated material away from kids, but a photograph of a corpse is not acceptable for anything more than a news report.
Page 1 of 2