ok... i saw a thread earlier on the black ice overdrive, and i liked the idea since i never play cleans(well hardly), but say i was really cheap and wanted to have fulltime O.D/distortion could i use any resistor? if so what kind..

thanks...
Bands I've seen:
Jet
Metallica
Lamb of God
Baroness
A Day To Remember
Underoath
Northlane
In The Walls
Saints Alight
Live As A Monster
Bleach The Skies
Red Ribbon Army
The Amity Affliction
Madisonfoxx
Buried In Verona
anyone?
Bands I've seen:
Jet
Metallica
Lamb of God
Baroness
A Day To Remember
Underoath
Northlane
In The Walls
Saints Alight
Live As A Monster
Bleach The Skies
Red Ribbon Army
The Amity Affliction
Madisonfoxx
Buried In Verona
Quote by dave2233
ok... i saw a thread earlier on the black ice overdrive, and i liked the idea since i never play cleans(well hardly), but say i was really cheap and wanted to have fulltime O.D/distortion could i use any resistor? if so what kind..

thanks...

Please elaborate on what you mean by "resistor".

If you want to basically make it such that it is basically "knob to the max then rip it off", then yes. Make sure you connect the input to the output, then hook a resistor with rating at least 1/4 watt from the output to the ground. Higher value have more impedence, and thus higher overdrive sound.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
Last edited by Jestersage at Sep 14, 2008,
^^ i mean resistor like what the black ice is... sorry, im not very good with the electronics lingo, i think i understand what your saying... so if i had a resistor say half the rating of my volume pot i would have an overdrive sound without the o.d pedal? a pic of how i would wire it up would be helpful if anyone can post one
Bands I've seen:
Jet
Metallica
Lamb of God
Baroness
A Day To Remember
Underoath
Northlane
In The Walls
Saints Alight
Live As A Monster
Bleach The Skies
Red Ribbon Army
The Amity Affliction
Madisonfoxx
Buried In Verona
your volume pot is a resistor all putting a resistor in its place will do is lower its tone you have to use liek 2 diodes opposite polarity in parrallel im not sure though use the searchbar ive seen threads on it before

here you go
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=579612&highlight=black+ice+diode
and here
http://projectguitar.com/tut/blackice.htm
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
Last edited by Dan shreds at Sep 14, 2008,
I wouldn't suggest using the black ice, or any clipping diodes at all, in your guitar. You want the clipping to come from an active source, like EMGs, pedals, or your amp. Passive distortion sounds very dry and has no sustain.
Resistors won't clip like that in any event.
Regardless of what Roc8995 suggests, a resistor will not achieve any distortion, as that is not the component that the Black Ice is built on. You will need one or two diodes to replace a the capacitor (or resistor) on your tone/volume pot. Onboard distortion may not sound great, but different diodes have different tones and you may find one you like.