Page 1 of 2
In my opinion I think the most inovative guitarist would probably be:

Lee Ranaldo and Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth
Jonny Greenwood and Ed O'brien of Radiohead
Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave

Who do you think are some of the most inovative guitarists ever?
Quote by DanBLON00
In my opinion I think the most inovative guitarist would probably be:

Lee Ranaldo and Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth
Jonny Greenwood and Ed O'brien of Radiohead
Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave

Those and;

Ben Weinman of The Dillinger Escape Plan,
Spencer Seim of Hella,
Buzz Osbourne of Melvins, Fantômas,
Ian Williams of Battles, Don Caballero, Storm & Stress.
Andres Segovia is far more innovative than any new popular guitar playar, although I am not a fan of him
Duane Allman took electric slide guitar to a whole new place.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Eddie Van Halen
Jimi Hendrix
Trey Spruance of Mr. Bungle
Quote by sneyob
Saw extended blue dick,
clicked X.

Sorry,
force of habit

Quote by Bmm386

There is only one solution. We need to bomb outer space. That should show those terrorist bastards who's who
Tom Morello? Are you a ****ing idiot? Just because someone "plays" with a drill doesn't make him innovative, it makes him ****ing stupid.

My picks are John McLaughlin, and David Gilmour.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Quote by srvflood
Tom Morello? Are you a ****ing idiot? Just because someone "plays" with a drill doesn't make him innovative, it makes him ****ing stupid.

My picks are John McLaughlin, and David Gilmour.

I don't think anyone here based their claims solely on the fact that he "plays with a drill".
Quote by Broken_Drum
I don't think anyone here based their claims solely on the fact that he "plays with a drill".

Well what did they base their facts on? It can't seriously be his technical ability or his songwriting, they're both sub-par at best.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
In terms of today's music, I'd say Omar Rodriguez-Lopez or Thomas Erak.
Here's what the critics are saying about Hanzi_G:

Quote by SteveHouse
Hanzi_G = god damned prophet.

SIG ME GODDAMMIT
Quote by srvflood
Well what did they base their facts on? It can't seriously be his technical ability or his songwriting, they're both sub-par at best.

Seconded.

Anyway.... in terms of innovation (in the realm of rock at least).... gotta go with Steve Hackett, Robert Fripp, and Paul Masvidal.
I second the Thurston Moore/Lee Ranaldo of sonic youth pairing. They took noisy guitar with alternate tunings to new places. And Jonny Greenwood is a beast.

And of course, Jimi Hendrix, but that's just too obvious.

As far as Tom Morello goes, you have to admit that his solos are really innovative. Nobody has ever soloed like that before or since, with the turntable-style effects and such. So you at least have to give him credit for that.
Quote by general14lee

As far as Tom Morello goes, you have to admit that his solos are really innovative. Nobody has ever soloed like that before or since, with the turntable-style effects and such. So you at least have to give him credit for that.

I don't care what he claims he's trying to imitate... it sounds like whammy wankery to my ears.... no better than Kerry King or K.K. Downing.
I'd say John McGeoch and Daniel Ash... and I'd include Johnny Greenwood and Robert Fripp I guess.

But considering it's about the most innovative guitarrists EVER, we would have to go back the entire history of guitar playing...so nevermind...
Matters what your looking...

If its in style David Gilmour, Randy Rhoads, Eddie Van Halen, and Tom Schouls (boston)

Tone: I would say Warren DeMartni

Performing: Micheal angleo, Eddie Van Halen, Matt Tuck (from BFMV)
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all
Link Wray? First person to deliberately use distortion. Although that's kind of a contentious point 'coz Ike Turner accidentally broke his amp but deliberately kept it that way before Wray did, but Wray did it all deliberately.

Still, those two needed a mention.

Oh, and Curtis Mayfield.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Larry lalonde. Every post I've done today I've mentioned him in.
Ritchie Blackmore
John McLaughlin
Robert Fripp
Mike Sullivan
Mikael Akerfeldt
Sterling Morrison
Colin Martson
Steve Howe
Grant Green
Buckethead
Adam Jones
Jason Gobel
Frank Zappa
Larry LaLonde
Mattias Eklundh
Quote by Broken_Drum
His experimental approach to the instrument perhaps?

Elaborate, please.
Last.fm

^^Alan keys against the strings, use of a killswitch, creating proper rhythms and melodies using feedback, or by rubbing his hand against the strings... Face it, not a lot of guitarists sound anything like he does, even now. It's innovation, even if you hate the sound.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Might be a retard question,
But for their time,George Harrison was innovative in some ways,do you agree?
Quote by Strat_Monkey
^^Alan keys against the strings, use of a killswitch, creating proper rhythms and melodies using feedback, or by rubbing his hand against the strings... Face it, not a lot of guitarists sound anything like he does, even now. It's innovation, even if you hate the sound.

Anybody can rub a hex key on a string, it may be different but that doesn't make it innovative. And you're right, most guitarists don't sound like him, most guitarists like to focus on their technique, not make stupid sounds with the pickups.

Quote by Lucas Townshend
Might be a retard question,
But for their time,George Harrison was innovative in some ways,do you agree?

I agree fully.
Last.fm

Quote by srvflood
Anybody can rub a hex key on a string, it may be different but that doesn't make it innovative. And you're right, most guitarists don't sound like him, most guitarists like to focus on their technique, not make stupid sounds with the pickups.

And many people think that kind of thing sounds good.
Quote by srvflood

Anybody could? That's your argument? Anybody could?

Anybody could stick a pencil through their amp cone to get distortion, doesn't mean the guy(s) who first did it weren't innovators. Anybody could invent tremolo picking, it still took someone to do it.

The question here isn't whether 'anybody' could do something. If someone does it, that someone is the innovator.

Since 'most' guitarists focus on their technique, to not focus on your technique is, in its way innovative. And, for the record, Tom Morello has awesome technique.

Lulz, by saying "Tom Morello has awesome technique." You lost all validity that you may have had.
Last.fm

Tony Iommi

Quote by srvflood
Lulz, by saying "Tom Morello has awesome technique." You lost all validity that you may have had.

simmer down n00b, just because he doesn't play show off guitar, doesn't mean that he didn't innovate a whole new musical generation path. What Rage Against the Machine did for the music scene is indescribable.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Last edited by GoodCharloteSux at Sep 18, 2008,
Quote by srvflood

You've heard Take the Power Back? Not the fastest solo ever played, but pretty sharp nonetheless, and very low gain, so you can hear every pick stroke hitting exactly where it's meant to.

I was actually, briefly, under the impression we were having a mature argument, until you said 'Lulz', which clued me in...

A serious argument would be great, but when people are saying things like "n00b" the maturity kinda leaves. I'm done with this discussion, there are too many Rage fanboys here (for whatever reason) that even if I make great points I'll still get ignorant comments and name calling, so for me to continue arguing would be a waste of my time. I honestly don't know what's so awesome about Rage, maybe you guys just like them because it's music your parents don't want you to listen to, so you can feel like you're rebelling. But whatever listen to whatever you want.
Last.fm

Larry Lalonde
Zappa (wrote all the music for those who don't know)
Morello
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
ike turner
morello
suppose we gotta say-paul,john, goerge
The edge-although i suppose its more the delay fx he's been inovative in
teppei-thrice
www.street-dogs.com
www.randytheband.com
www.maroonhate.com
Quote by srvflood
A serious argument would be great, but when people are saying things like "n00b" the maturity kinda leaves. I'm done with this discussion, there are too many Rage fanboys here (for whatever reason) that even if I make great points I'll still get ignorant comments and name calling, so for me to continue arguing would be a waste of my time. I honestly don't know what's so awesome about Rage, maybe you guys just like them because it's music your parents don't want you to listen to, so you can feel like you're rebelling. But whatever listen to whatever you want.

I think RATM were/are an absolutely horrific band, but to say Morello didn't create a whole new approach in guitar playing would be stupid. He wasn't the first person to perform any of the techniques he's famous for but he certainly popularised them, just as EVH wasn't the first person to tap but was still responsible for it's popularity.
Domine Non Es Dignus
Page 1 of 2