Okay so ive got my HSC performances tomorrow morning, and coincidentally my high E string decided to break on me. The music shops are shut, nobody i know has a spare string, so i had to operate and transplanted the string off my old guitar that i havnt played in maybe 3 or 4 months. I have no idea how old the string, its gauge 10 D'Addario and isnt as smooth to run ur fingers along as the other strings. It still sounds okay.

My question is do i use this string for the 4 songs i play tomorrow morning, or wait for the music shop to open and rush like all hell to try and fit the string before i play? if i put a brand new one on it, will i change all the other strings as well? or should i play with the old string on it, because the new strings would require to be broken in over a period of more than say 30 minutes?

My question in simplified format is would it be wise to play with brand new strings that i havnt got a chance to get used to or will they go out of tune on me during the song etc
We may be divorced..... but we're still cousins

I came 2nd in the January 2007 Punk-0-Matic Tournament
Quote by Rankles
I frequently put capes on all my teeth and they go out fighting crime together.
wait and get a new string. The one string will go out of tune but that will go away in, like you said, 30 minutes. I have ocd so an old string with my others would annoy me
Clean your strings? This is especially effective on the high (thin) strings.

Use a cloth (and some cleaner if you have it) and scrape down the length of the string.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
uhhh....yes
"Speaking of voting there's the electoral vote and the popular vote and I think in order to be popular, you gotta vote." -Eddie Vedder
You probably don't want to be playing a brand new string that has not had the time to be stretched out yet. I'd go with the old one as long as it is holding tune now it's more likely to be holding tune tomorrow.
Since it's an emergency, you can try boil your guitar string, by placing them in boiling water. Keyword is boiling, so you do not put your strings in until the water atcually come to a boil. Boil them for 1 to 2 minutes, then take them out, lay them on a towel and dry them throughly, before airdry them.

Note that the drying is important, otherwise it will go rust.

Obviously it is an emergency situation. Your string will be good for that moment, but will become dead within a week.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
Hell I regularly play with strings that have been sat on a guitar for 4 months or more. I've got one guitar sitting here that I've had for a year and a half and I've never changed the strings on it since I got it. Other guitars I've had for a few years and I onyl change their strings probably three or four times each since I've had them. Doesn't go out of tune, I've never experienced a string break (there's a limit to how much you're supposed to pull up on floating vibrato bridges y'know...), and old strings give a nicer tone than new ones anyway.

Go with the old string. Beats the crap out of trying to quickly wear-in a new string.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I've used old strings before (luckily not for anything important) and they worked...just.
How long have you got in between when the shops open and when you play?
If you REALLY don't want to use an old string ring up the shop and ask (VERY VERY nicely) if they would open a bit ealier for you???
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
i think the shops open at 9am. im supposed to arrive at 8:55 to help set up and get my balance right etc. Dads going to go and buy me new strings and bring them over, and i'll have them incase anything goes horribly wrong with the ones on the guitar at the moment.

If i neglected setting up etc, i'd have maybe an hour to change strings and get my guitar ready, i dont know if i'll feel comfortable with 1 brand new string.

thanks for all help everyone, i gave the string a cleaning and it does feel better, i'll just pray it doesnt break or decide to detune itself halfway through a song lol.

I wish my steel strings were like nylon strings, i have an acoustic with nylon strings and ive never needed to replace the strings in the 4 years ive had it, even when i dropped it down the stairs haha. Good stuff cheers
We may be divorced..... but we're still cousins

I came 2nd in the January 2007 Punk-0-Matic Tournament
Quote by Rankles
I frequently put capes on all my teeth and they go out fighting crime together.
Quote by MrFlibble
Hell I regularly play with strings that have been sat on a guitar for 4 months or more. I've got one guitar sitting here that I've had for a year and a half and I've never changed the strings on it since I got it. Other guitars I've had for a few years and I onyl change their strings probably three or four times each since I've had them. Doesn't go out of tune, I've never experienced a string break (there's a limit to how much you're supposed to pull up on floating vibrato bridges y'know...), and old strings give a nicer tone than new ones anyway.

Go with the old string. Beats the crap out of trying to quickly wear-in a new string.

Quote by Ian hawkins
I've used old strings before (luckily not for anything important) and they worked...just.
How long have you got in between when the shops open and when you play?
If you REALLY don't want to use an old string ring up the shop and ask (VERY VERY nicely) if they would open a bit ealier for you???

How would he contact the store if it's CLOSED? People would have gone home already.
Last edited by XianXiuHong at Sep 14, 2008,