I've got a birthday coming up in a few weeks and I'm hoping that my girlfriend/parents can pick me up some pickups and maybe a couple mods for my strat.

I'm playing on a Highway One strat, had it for a few months and haven't changed anything on it (except strings). I've looked around on the web trying to decide what pickups would best suit my needs. I love playing anything David Gilmour, but I would like some versatility so that I can play Hendrix, Clapton, SRV, The Who etc without it sounding flat out off. Some pickups that I think would best suit the Gilmour type sound:

- Custom Shop 69's
- Custom Shop 54's
- Texas Specials
- EMG SA's
- Fender Lace Sensors

I love Gilmours Black Strat, so I would prefer to stay away from the active EMG DG-20's. Haven't tried them but I assume they may be overkill for my needs?The problem is I just haven't played a guitar with any of the mentioned pickups. I really don't know what they sound like and how they are different.

I'm also looking at some modifications to really shape my tone. The three that I know are relevant (Again, if I am missing any please feel free to add!) are:

- Fender TBX Tone Control
- EMG SPC
- EMG EXG

First, I just want to be sure that I can use the EMG SPC & EXG with passive pickups (and non EMG ones). Second, I am not sure which are necessary and relevant. I'm a noob when it comes to guitar customizing. If anyone can offer some advice or point me in the right direction in what I should look at in terms of pickups and mods I would really appreciate it. Thank you very much in advance.
I own the Custom 69's and they are really good for all the artists you listed. They do blues perfectly but aren't too good for hard rock. They are very bright, but I've also heard a ton of good things about Texas Specials so I'd go with them. All the rest are still really good pickups except i wouldn't get the EMG's. Gilmour only uses them cause they get rid of the hum caused by all the stage lighting and stuff.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American 52 Telecaster RI
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
Orange Cabinets
Oh and you could wait for the Fender Signature David Gilmour Black Strat coming out soon, but its about $4000 canadian i think
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Cabinets
When I graduate from university this April, the first $4000 I make is going right to the David Gilmour Fender Signature Strat. I can't wait to try one of these at the guitar shop when they get a few.

I was also thinking about another option. Gilmour has a Seymour Duncan SSL-1 in the bridge and two vintage fender pickups in the mid and neck. I was thinking of following that setup, but I am a bit confused as to what pickups he actually HAS in the middle and neck.

I'm certainly looking at the Custom 69's and the Texas Specials though. They're the top 2 on my list.
Quote by hawk5211
This would be your best bet for the gilmore sound, but overall i would go for Texas specials, more of an SRV/ Hendrix sound, which I like more.

Also no battery.

Gilmour stopped using EMG's a while back because he didn't like the way they sounded.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I'd maybe get some '57/'62s in the neck and middle, if you put a Duncan SSL-1 in the bridge or whatever. I've got them, and I like them, so yeah. It gives a vintage tone which I think, suits Gilmour's sound.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
i've got texas specials in an MIA standard strat, they are superb. they give a great clean sound with a full tone range and the classic fender chime and cluck.

the mid pickup is reverse sound so you get noise cancellation in the 2 and 4 positions.

i've had a lot of other players comment on the tone when i'm out playing.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Gilmourish.com

Have fun

Personally the easiest way I think is the EMG set but thats if you want his Pulse DVD tone. I like that tone, but a lot of it came from effects and his amp also. So just cause you put in 3 EMG SA's you won't be dead on but close. If you buy David Gilmour Live at Royal Albert Hall DVD you can hear the difference from when he plays his black Strat with passives then grabs his red Strat with EMG's and does almost a solo performance of Shine on You Crazy Diamond. Great comparison there of the difference in tone. Also look at the specs on Fenders website for his black Strat, that'll give you an idea of what to look for if you want passives.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
dave is currently using Fralins woodstock 69 single coils, they are the best single coils you can get for that classic Jimi hendrix like tone, but if dave uses them then you know they must be the best.
Quote by el-ECTRO
you again

damn i could've done a much better response for ntchode 'Owner of UGs hugest penis'
I keep looking at this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/EMG-EMGDG20-David-Gilmour-PreWired-PickguardPickup-Set?sku=301515

I play pink floyd more then anything. As soon as I find a suitable donor guitar I'm going to get one of these.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by steven seagull
Gilmour stopped using EMG's a while back because he didn't like the way they sounded.

+1 to this: the only Pink Floyd recording where EMGs were used was the Pulse album/DVD and I think some parts of the Remember That Night DVD.

For the most part he uses custom wound pickups but I think the most important aspect of his sound is more likely to be the vintage Hiwatt DR103 heads i believe he uses.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
email tim at bareknuckle ur needs he will tell you exactly the pickup for u
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
Don't get the David Gilmour EMG's
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals