Hello, I have an Ibanez s540sh that I run through a VoxAD50Vt and I was wondering what would be good (Preferably versatile, I play in a tech metal band and my schools jazz band.) for a Dance/Techno project that I'd like to do. I'd like to be able to go from a really heavily distorted (Like the guitar on Discipline by Nine Inch Nails.) guitar to one where the notes pan from one side to the other quickly (Kinda of like call to arms by Angels and Airwaves.)
Well, to start you'll need two amps to replicate the panning effect and unless you're feeling like dropping a couple hundred dollars on a good multi-effect (though if you are, you won't go wrong with an Line 6 X3-series pod), I can't think of one pedal that will do both those things.
You could look into a Boss Slicer pedal, but it's only cool if you can use two amps to get stereo pans and things.
The sound on NIN's Discipline is probably created by using loads and loads of modular synths, rack effects etc.
I can get a sound that comes reasonably close by using a heavily fuzzed out sound, tone pot about half way and putting that through my phaser with the rate knob cranked (sound odd but I'm serious, it doesn't really sound like phaser anymore then but more like a filter, adds quite a lot of growly bass as well )

As far as the panning goes, you need either two amps or a stereo amp and a panner (some delays and tremolo's can do this as well). But since I don't know that song I can't really help you anymore than that.
The gear is in the profile.
You know you want to take a look

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Strat-mangling, echo-eating janglefan σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
And for the NIN sound, think about these pedals (NIN uses them) - Devi Ever FX, Metasonix.
A lot of fuzzy stuff comes from the Metasonix, but they're expensive. A fuzz factory would perhaps give you a somewhat similar sound.
+1 to Devi Ever and Metasonix
Trent Reznor uses Death By Audio as well.

Still, you don't necessarily need those brands, any high gain fuzz would do you pretty well. I'm building a Fuzz Face clone with bc109 silicone trannies and an enormous switchable bass boost, should get me pretty close too
The gear is in the profile.
You know you want to take a look

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Strat-mangling, echo-eating janglefan σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I guess a nice fuzz with some tweakability should give you something close. And perhaps try playing a bit messy, I would say - like "accidentally" hitting harmonics and stuff - I saw Trent do it when they played in our city.