#1
The last time my microphone shocked me was when I was using it with one specific guitar amp. That was the only time I used the microphone with that amp, and I figured it was the amp, but I was using my PA system today and I kept getting painful shocks on my lips from the microphone.
Anyone have any idea why this is happening or if it's just a once-in-a-while thing or what?
Quote by coolo
I going to acknowledge this seeing nobody has yet, that sir is epic
#2
It is actually good for you.
But make sure you take a shower and don't dry off before you do it next time, that way you will extract maximum benefits.
#3
Quote by thevoidguitar1
The last time my microphone shocked me was when I was using it with one specific guitar amp. That was the only time I used the microphone with that amp, and I figured it was the amp, but I was using my PA system today and I kept getting painful shocks on my lips from the microphone.
Anyone have any idea why this is happening or if it's just a once-in-a-while thing or what?



Replace the mic immediately, that's an earth problem and could kill you.

You might be able to get it fixed but I doubt it.
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time


╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
#5
is the guitar an active setup? that might have something to do with it...
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project
#6
Quote by Boogie Man
Replace the mic immediately, that's an earth problem and could kill you.

You might be able to get it fixed but I doubt it.

Yeah I was gonna say, either there's a grounding problem with the PA, or the mic
#7
Wait, what exactly is an "earth problem"? I don't want to die, but I don't want to buy a new microphone unless I'm sure I need to.
Quote by coolo
I going to acknowledge this seeing nobody has yet, that sir is epic
#8
could be a whole whack of things. this was happening at an old jamspace because the house was about a hundred years old and wiring was .. maybe not 100 years old but old and crappy.

I think the shocks come from different levels of current or something between the two outlets. so when you bridge the gap (microphone meets lips) the current (or maybe its voltage.. i dunno) balances thru you.

i could be wrong but it does have to do with something balancing voltages.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
#9
Quote by thevoidguitar1
The last time my microphone shocked me was when I was using it with one specific guitar amp. That was the only time I used the microphone with that amp, and I figured it was the amp, but I was using my PA system today and I kept getting painful shocks on my lips from the microphone.
Anyone have any idea why this is happening or if it's just a once-in-a-while thing or what?


i saw a band called Last Tuesday at a music festival. during the mic check the singer kept getting shocked, and it was worsened by his lip ring. he got so tired of it because nobody could switch out the mic or anything, so he took of his shoe and sock and placed the sock on the mic. problem fixed!

but don't use a stinky sock, it's weird enough singing to your clothes.
#10
Quote by thevoidguitar1
Wait, what exactly is an "earth problem"? I don't want to die, but I don't want to buy a new microphone unless I'm sure I need to.



It means an exposed wire containing an electrical current is touching the metal of the mic, and because the mic does not have a dedicated earth it is earthing to you it probably wont kill you but will be a bitch.

try replacing the cable that could be the problem if something in the cable is damaged.
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time


╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
#11
Actually, we were practicing at a different house than usual, so that could explain why it only happened today and doesn't usually happen.
Quote by coolo
I going to acknowledge this seeing nobody has yet, that sir is epic
#12
Quote by thevoidguitar1
Actually, we were practicing at a different house than usual, so that could explain why it only happened today and doesn't usually happen.



If it is the house then there is something seriously wrong with the wiring in that house and it should be checked out by an electrician.
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time


╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
#13
Alright, thanks a ton for your help, Boogie Man.
You have proven that the pit can be a helpful place.
Quote by coolo
I going to acknowledge this seeing nobody has yet, that sir is epic
#14
Quote by thevoidguitar1
Alright, thanks a ton for your help, Boogie Man.
You have proven that the pit can be a helpful place.

rape her lulz

Just kidding
#15
That sucks. Could also be a problem with the phantom power for the mic?

I remember playing a show once and i got shocked like 3 times (as well as the singer and other guitarist). The guitarist said it was that but i'm not sure.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.


WARNING: I kill threads.
#16
Quote by InvaderTSN
This guy is in your microphone?



/bad joke


Asshole. You beat me to it.

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
#17
Quote by thevoidguitar1
Alright, thanks a ton for your help, Boogie Man.
You have proven that the pit can be a helpful place.



Happy to help
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time


╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
#18
This happend to our bassist one time.He was using active p-ups.
We were in a different house to normal.So whats the verdict?
Will he die?
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
#19
If it's a halfway decent mic, then send an email to the company. They should be able to replace it for you.
#20
i say replace the mic man. if it gets worse you're in for a surprise/

i've been shocked by a wall recepticle before while working on my dad's new garage... not fun (note to self: always check breakers). fukin crazy feeling. instant arm numbness too(well not that bad)
Jackson DKMG Dinky, Ibanez RG 7321, Ibanez RG 350EX
Bugera 6262-212 (120 watt), Line 6 Spider lll (30 watt)

Pearl Forum Series Drums
Sabian B8 Cymbals (ride, hi-hats, 3x crash, splash)