I never really noticed how much more expensive it is to play other instruments, such as Saxophone, Bassoon, etc.

A good saxophone is gonna cost between 3,000 to 6,000 American dollars.

A good Guitar and amp set up, can cost you less than 2000 American dollars.

Discuss, and please tell me why it's so much more expensive to play instruments like saxophones, etc.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
actually it doesnt cost that much to play saxophone unless you play baritone. There are a lot of cheap good guitars out there but theres also the amp and accessories so it doesnt end up coming out that cheap.
"The revolution lives on not in words to live for it, but in one's heart to die for it" -Che Guevara
you dont have to spend any money for some instruments, like stepping, or the spoons if you look in an alley or something.
you can even get paid for playing some, like the skin flute, or rusty trombone.
yeah i think gitbox stuff is cheaper on the whole.

grand piano: 80,000$?

and you can get a great guitar setup for under 1,500 if you know what you're looking for.
Peace , Love , Death Metal

Quote by Super_Duper_Guy
It probably started at $55 but then he thought "You know what? F&*$ them. 1 dollar extra. pwned noobs."
That bastard...
Quote by 777Corey
you dont have to spend any money for some instruments, like stepping, or the spoons if you look in an alley or something.
you can even get paid for playing some, like the skin flute, or rusty trombone.

do you know this from experience?
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by HighPotency
Yeah well with instruments like that you get one and you're set for life pretty much.

I didn't really think about that.

Would the craftsmanship increase the price of say a trumpet or saxophone too?

well i play saxophone (alt)...i got mine for about 2500$...expensive indeed but it's worth it

Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER

Hmmm...perhaps...
...Fender + Ritchie Blackmore = hours and hours of GREAT music and guitar execusions...
Quote by Fender for life
well i play saxophone (alt)...i got mine for about 2500$...expensive indeed but it's worth it

back when I played I had an Accent Alto Sax. That was back in elementary school and I don't remember how much it was, but I remember it being a pretty penny.

Quote by HighPotency
Yeah well with instruments like that you get one and you're set for life pretty much.

thats if you know how to play it, well
Another thing I love about being a guitarist is I don't have to be playing for 20+ years to be considered more than a newbie.
Actually I find playing guitar a really expensive activity... I always end up using all my savings buying new gear. And I also play bass so I spend a lot of money... new guitars, basses, pedals, amps, cables, picks, straps and all that stuff...
The instruments themselves are about the same (my sax also cost me 2500). But after that you still need to buy amplification (if the gig calls for it), microphone, and reeds. Vandoren (the ones I use) reeds can go for 4-10 bucks A PIECE!

No matter what you do, music is an expensive hobby or living.
Quote by tona_107
Lol, dude, other instruments are so expensive because no one plays them.

a lot of people play them. Sure, not as much as people play guitar these days, but a lot of people still play brass instruments.

Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
a lot of people play them. Sure, not as much as people play guitar these days, but a lot of people still play brass instruments.

and people who play brass/woodwinds/strings (besides guitar) are usually taken more "seriously" in general. (I've never seen a guitarist in an orchestra before, and every musical teacher that I've known has only specialized to band and orchestra instruments)
Quote by Okeefe Is Legit
and people who play brass/woodwinds/strings (besides guitar) are usually taken more "seriously" in general. (I've never seen a guitarist in an orchestra before, and every musical teacher that I've known has only specialized to band and orchestra instruments)

yeah, that's one thing I don't like. I can't stand how most school music teachers don't really think you are a musician if you play guitar, and you aren't a classically trained guitarist.

Quote by sidvicious182
i have an 8000 dollar bari sax. but ive been playing a while and i dont regret buying something ill use for the rest of my life.

Wow, I envy you. The only thing holding me back from a bari is the price tag. Someday though.

Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
yeah, that's one thing I don't like. I can't stand how most school music teachers don't really think you are a musician if you play guitar, and you aren't a classically trained guitarist.

I'm sorry that you have ran into music teachers like that. Luckily at my school, my teachers encourage string playing. And they love it when guitarist want to be in the jazz band. Although I can understand not having to many guitarist in Orchestra. The overtones of to many guitars would just get in the way of everything.

Another thing that jacks up prices is the inconsistency of wind instruments. I'm positive there are more defects out of a horn line than a guitar line.

I had to try out 4 Yamaha instruments before I purchased my Tenor. And Yamaha is highly regarded as one of the more consistent horn makers out there.
Because many guitars are factory made and are relatively simple to craft. Many other instruments are much more delicate and require handcrafting.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by abstract pie
Wow, I envy you. The only thing holding me back from a bari is the price tag. Someday though.

I'm sorry that you have ran into music teachers like that. Luckily at my school, my teachers encourage string playing. And they love it when guitarist want to be in the jazz band. Although I can understand not having to many guitarist in Orchestra. The overtones of to many guitars would just get in the way of everything.

Yeah, jazz band is the only band that has a guitar player, and he doesn't even have any solos. The other bands have upright bass, but those are the only ones with string instruments.

I got a good Yamaha 3-valved baritone for a little over 600 USD on eBay. I've only spent a little more on my guitar set-up.
Last edited by tonedeafidiot at Sep 14, 2008,
Dude my old music teacher played the viola and total her setup was around like 4000 dollars, and she said to get the next best one she would have to play 20 000 dollars
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Jackson Performer PS4 (soon to be sold)
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER

That's exactly my point, and exactly the reason why they are more expensive in comparison to guitar.
The guitar IS actually the most expensive thing you can play.

The guitars themselves, amps, pedals, cables, picks, straps, capos... Strings! It all adds up.
While with the saxophone you usually get the case and a few reeds with it so you're pretty much set for life (if you don't let it to rust obviously)
Quote by Godsmack_IV
Also, guitar gives you the illusion that you'll get laid more than if you play the sax.

Wrong. Everybody knows that sax is the instrument of sex.
Hell, even the name is only two keys from the word sex.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

recorder ftw
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER

Yes... it certainly does..

I have a $3000 Yamaha Custom-Z Alto Sax, its a freaking amazing sax and it'll last me my entire life... It was also entirely handmade from the sheet of metal it started out as...

I did try a $6500 Selmer Paris Alto Sax at a jazz conference I went to, and it was amazing too...

But yes, the craftsmanship does increase the price...
Quote by Smokey Amp
Aren't all voiceovers performed by Morgan Freeman?

I thought that was like a law or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1KI2Bxcx8M
^^^^ Please watch this! we need more views to win $20 000!
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
I never really noticed how much more expensive it is to play other instruments, such as Saxophone, Bassoon, etc.

A good saxophone is gonna cost between 3,000 to 6,000 American dollars.

A good Guitar and amp set up, can cost you less than 2000 American dollars.

Discuss, and please tell me why it's so much more expensive to play instruments like saxophones, etc.

Most instruments are about the same actually. You can spend a ton on guitar by getting good pickups and amps...

Same for drums, you can sound fair on a $500 set or go all out spending thousands.

Synths are not low in price, look at the Yamaha S90 ES
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
Yeah, jazz band is the only band that has a guitar player, and he doesn't even have any solos. The other bands have upright bass, but those are the only ones with string instruments.

idk what your talking about... im the guitarist for my schools jazz band and i get solo's all the time
Guitar has so many accessories that it more than makes up for that.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
not all instruments cost a lot of money, i play saxophone and i got mine for about $650 and it was in really really good condition and in the 6 years ive been playing i havent had any problems with it