I've been playing guitar for about 13 months now I'd say, and I've been borrowing my friend's guitar while he's stationed in Korea. It's a very starter-cheap epiphone les paul special. It ...sucks. The pickups are weak, the neck is so thick and rough, and there's so much fretbuzz I can't have more than one note at a time ring (trying Nothing Else matters solo, it's impossible with this thing to sound good)

Basically I'm looking for something that would sound a little heavy, with "crunchy" palm mutes, the one I have now is just like a quiet quiet note. I'm looking to spend $500 at most, and I already have a great amp, so what would you guys suggest? Thanks
^^ That guitar's ****ing ugly as hell lol I'm looking to play thrash which is why I needed some good pickups to get a heavy "crunch" vibe to it.

I saw these two, what's yall think

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-FX260-Spalted-Maple?sku=512886

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG370DXGP-Electric-Guitar?sku=512367

And then of course there's the ESP LTD EX400 which is basically James Hetfields so ...hmm
I'd get the EX400... I really don't like that spalted maple finish on the FX260.. It's ugly...
Get a nice EX or an EC
Quote by cedaguol
I'd get the EX400... I really don't like that spalted maple finish on the FX260.. It's ugly...
Get a nice EX or an EC

Well it's cheaper and I actually kinda like it, it's different. Aside from looks is that a good guitar? That's all I gotta know
I decided I'd either get an FX-260 or the EX-400, and it's probably gonna be the FX. So what's the main difference between the two? And wtf is a push-pull coil tap
EX-400>FX-260, mainly in the pickup aspect. I doubt that LTD in-house pickups are very good.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I have one of those guitars... I like it. My amp sucks though...I'm using a karaoke... I usually just use my acoustic to play. It's portable and I think you pick up the sound of what your playing better. Anyway... Yeah... What kind of amp is a "Good Amp"?
Op has VOX Valvetronix AD50VT its pretty good for someone who's been playing for only a year. My les paul sucks though so... yea
Quote by AlmostFlawed
Op has VOX Valvetronix AD50VT its pretty good for someone who's been playing for only a year. My les paul sucks though so... yea

...Okay, so good guitar? btw my friend said dont buy it because it says indonesia on the back. Does that mean its made in indonesia/bad? It wont say on the stie
Quote by AlmostFlawed
...Okay, so good guitar? btw my friend said dont buy it because it says indonesia on the back. Does that mean its made in indonesia/bad? It wont say on the stie

That doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad guitar... I have an Ibanez bass that is made in Indonesia and I couldn't love it more