So I had a gig today, and before hand I was told the ONLY thing I'd have to bring is my guitar, because every thing else would be supplied by the band we were playing with. I was ok with that because I played with them a few nights ago and I remembered they had a pretty good amp and a decent pedal board.

So I get there today, go up on stage to get my stuff together, and one of the guys comes up and is really nice to me, smiles and says, "You can plug in here, and if you need any help myself or one of the other guys will come over and help you." I thanked him and he left to help one of the roadies, and I plugged in and started to tune up. A minute later another guy (who owns the amp/pedals) comes up to me and says (in a "mean" voice), "I don't want you using that."

I'm sick and tired at the moment and not in the mood for fighting, so I say to him nicely, "Oh I'm sorry mate, I was just told to plug in here."
"Well this is my pedal board, you aren't using it."
"Sorry, I really didn't realise it would be a problem, this is just what I was told to do."
"Well you can't use it. Use the amp but don't change anything."
"Ok I won't, can I just finish up using your tuner?"
"If you must, then don't touch anything."

The guy walks away, but comes back a minute later and says, "Did you change any settings?" I'm thinking "Why the hell would I do that asshole?" But just said no, and left it at that.

So, was the guy right to be such an asshole to me? And does anyone have any similar stories?

TL;DR - Guy was an asshole to me about using his stuff even though I had been told previously it was ok.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
They are just pedals. He should've let you use them IMO because you wouldn't have broken them. If anything, I would be more cautious of my amp than pedals. He was a dick.
Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?
It IS his pedalboard no matter who says if it's okay or not.
so... yeah.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
He had a change of heart. You'll get over it. He still let you use his amp, and people like him (and me) are protective of their equipment and don't like other people using it.
Quote by b00m_
They are just pedals. He should've let you use them IMO because you wouldn't have broken them. If anything, I would be more cautious of my amp than pedals. He was a dick.

Yeah, and I was playing in a Jazz band so it's not like gonna be all IM SO HARDCORE *STAMP STAMP STAMP ON PEDAL* Which I wouldn't do in my rock band anyway lol.

EDIT: Sorry I should have been more specific, he was the one who told our guys it would be ok in the first place. And he could of said to me nicely, "Sorry I'd rather you don't use them." If he had, I would have been ok with it.

Quote by Scumbag1792
Quote by fretsonfire74
He had a change of heart. You'll get over it. He still let you use his amp, and people like him (and me) are protective of their equipment and don't like other people using it.

It was a different guy than the one that told him he could.

Anyways, yeah it's his stuff and he paid for it. I can understand it. But... why don't you have your own pedals?
Quote by HighPotency
It was a different guy than the one that told him he could.

Anyways, yeah it's his stuff and he paid for it. I can understand it. But... why don't you have your own pedals?

Read above post.

Quote by Scumbag1792
Quote by Seth Shadows
It IS his pedalboard no matter who says if it's okay or not.
so... yeah.

Yeah true that. I was thinking as I started to read. The only thing I wouldn't be cool with is the pedal board. Which makes sense, you should bring your own effects, ones you've fine tuned and you're comfortable with. If you ever get told you can use someones gear, remember pedals are more personal than the amp. I would never let anyone use more than my tuner and amp. And even then, they should have their own tuner.

I can understand amps, they're big things, you can bring your own pedals and not limit space. SO next time you're allowed to use gear, even if they say you can specifically use their pedals, or even guitar. Bring your own, just use the amp.

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
Just for the record I'd let someone use mine, I'd just make clear DON'T change anything.

But I definitely do understand you guys who are saying you're protective of your pedals. I just would have gone about it a different way had it been me.

Quote by Scumbag1792
I wouldn't let anyone use my pedals but that's because i doubt many ppl would know how to use my setup. Still, that doesn't give anyone a reason to be an asshole about it.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by szekelymihai
i think it was Graveworm ^^^^. He says hes an asshole...

Bastard!

Quote by Scumbag1792
Being the prick I am, I would have argued back. And fucking hit him with the guitar by the end of it, and as a smug- prick finish, I would have said,

"Dont mess with the settings on your face, asshole."