I've been looking at some reviews and it gets a mixed rap.
Some say the clean channel leaves more to be desired.

So if anyone out there in the world of UG has some feedback on the amp, that would be nice.

How does it compare to a Valveking 112?

I play a lot of alternative rock and dip into some metal occasionally. I don't play a lot of blues but I like my jazz fusion and funk music.

Thank you in advance
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
I've played it, it's pretty nice. The distortion is kinda "fuzzy" though, but it can probably be cleaned up some way. I don't know how it compares to the VK though...
Would you recommend it for someone on a budget who can't afford a Mesa Boogie or Marshall?
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Quote by sebastian_96
Would you recommend it for someone on a budget who can't afford a Mesa Boogie or Marshall?

It's alright, I didn't play it that much though. It seemed like it was made for metal than anything else. I'm not sure about stuff like this but I think an Orange amp or something else would be more ideal to you, since you don't play that much metal.
Orange amps are too expensive.

I might just stay with my original choice of a Laney VC15...and just buy dist./OD pedals to boost the gain.

the muffin!
Quote by sebastian_96
Orange amps are too expensive.

I might just stay with my original choice of a Laney VC15...and just buy dist./OD pedals to boost the gain.

Remember: Add a lot of bass, cut some of the mids, reduce the treble by a bit - and you have a good-ish rock/metal sound.
Although, the amp's gain can't really do metal too well, so what I do is use my OD on the clean channel (set the OD with gain and volume to taste), use the settings above on the amp, and it's a great [or good?] hard rock/metal sound.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
Remember: Add a lot of bass, cut some of the mids, reduce the treble by a bit - and you have a good-ish rock/metal sound.
Although, the amp's gain can't really do metal too well, so what I do is use my OD on the clean channel (set the OD with gain and volume to taste), use the settings above on the amp, and it's a great [or good?] hard rock/metal sound.

Bass: 6 mid:10 treble: 8 + OD = better metal tone.

I say get a Tiny Terror and a 1x12. Lovely amps.
Quote by sebastian_96

It's going to depend on how much clean headroom you need. The Randall should stay clean louder being 50 watts compared to 15. But I would say the VC15 is a better choice for what you play, barring the metal. Although the VC isn't ideal for metal but can be boosted there with a pedal as you state, it's ideal for the rest of what you play.

And yes, I would recommend it (RG50tc) as a cheaper alternative to a Mesa or Marshall. I like it more than the VK, but that's preference, I like the VK too.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I have a RG50tc. The cleans aren't the greatest, but they are not bad. I only get a fuzz distortion when the volume is low. I still use a tubescreamer to boost for metal. To me it sounds closer to a Marshall than a Mesa Boogie.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Bass: 6 mid:10 treble: 8 + OD = better metal tone.

I say get a Tiny Terror and a 1x12. Lovely amps.

What?!
The VC has TOO MUCH treble - solos sound terrible!
Reducing the amp's mid and treble helps to get a more even, natural sound (think of plexis, modern amps, every other amp ever made), instead of a harsh shrill.

Obviously, if I had a 6505, your settings would be a good choice - but I can't appear to find said 6505 in my bedroom. Where'd it go?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
What?!
The VC has TOO MUCH treble - solos sound terrible!
Reducing the amp's mid and treble helps to get a more even, natural sound (think of plexis, modern amps, every other amp ever made), instead of a harsh shrill.

Obviously, if I had a 6505, your settings would be a good choice - but I can't appear to find said 6505 in my bedroom. Where'd it go?

I ate it.

All Laneys have too much treble.

If you think the VC15 has too much treble, go play a VH100R.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I ate it.

All Laneys have too much treble.

If you think the VC15 has too much treble, go play a VH100R.

You ate my 6505?!

I just wish they didn't have so much treble - does anyone really want that kind of sound?
I love my VC though.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by forsaknazrael
It's a good budget metal amp, but if you don't primarily play metal, I don't recommend it.

+1

it's better than the valveking for metal (from what i can remember), but the VK is better for a wider range of tones, especially rock.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?