Page 1 of 2
Kurt Cobain could write a song, Yngwie sure as hell could play, but both are renowned for lacking in the skill of the other...

so which do you prefer in your music, emotion or virtuosity?

and no both is NOT an option, i know we all love both both (Rhoads, Satch, Vai...sigh)

this is to ask which you value more if your house was on fire and you could save the last copies (somehow, lol) of Nirvana's or Yngwie Malmsteem's back catalogue...

if you could have one in your music but not the other...

so

^^??
Both.

EDIT: Also, I dislike both of those people/bands. So neither would be my answer to your second question.
Quote by Th6r6a6sH
The Pit is a reliable source of information
Quote by imdeth
My penis is tough. My penis is elite.
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
I like Luigi.

His cock is maximum.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

OPETH RULES.

Member of Åkerfeldtism

My last.fm
Last edited by uberphreak at Sep 14, 2008,
I prefer listening to songs than listening to technical ability.
Third out in the MOD contest '08.
ty jampan, first to give a mature answer

and second replier, WHATEVER you listen to, they will more likely than not be better at songwriting than technical ability or vice versa...
Emotion. It is a prospect well needed and lacking in music currently.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
Yeah Emotion when i listen to music.
But when we are making some ourselves, some skill would also be nice xD
Gear :
Fender Stratocaster Made in Mexico

Amps :
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Marshall Lead 20
Fender Performer 1000

emotion, people who just play guitar really fast sound generic and boring to me.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Ash Lite Stratocaster
Ibanez ac70 acoustic
Ovation Celebrity
Fender Blues Jr
planet waves tuner-ts9dx tubescreamer-metal muff-boss ce-5-delta labs dd1 delay
blues music vs. dragonforce.

the answer is clear.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
To posters #2 and #3 stop trying to be the awkward "I'm too special to answer your question" tits.

He gave you you an example with a question. If you don't like the question, simply ****ing change the example to something that matches your childish needs.

For me it's emotion. I could develop my skill over time.
emotion, for sure.

exception: dashboard confessional. chris carabba is waaaay to whiny
Quote by faint_spirit
chris carabba is waaaay to whiny

he's nothing compared to that guy who does secondhand serenade, though
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Quote by Etudes_meister
ty jampan, first to give a mature answer

and second replier, WHATEVER you listen to, they will more likely than not be better at songwriting than technical ability or vice versa...

i dont know about that. there are plenty of artists that are very good songwriters and also very good musicians

also, what about mult-instrumentalists? i have so much more respect for artists who can do more than just play guitar/keyboard/whatever/etc.
Quote by Kyle.E
To posters #2 and #3 stop trying to be the awkward "I'm too special to answer your question" tits.

He gave you you an example with a question. If you don't like the question, simply ****ing change the example to something that matches your childish needs.

For me it's emotion. I could develop my skill over time.

yeah

same kind of guys that kill good threads all the time around here...

7 - 0

anyone who can write a song like heart shaped box...so much emotion...is a good songwriter imo.

another thing; songwriting ability is subjective, while virtuosity isn't... agree? interesting
Last edited by Etudes_meister at Sep 14, 2008,
Quote by JamMan*

Exactly.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Well, it's really both for me.

Songwriting skill is as important as technical skill because it makes a use for technicality. Technicality is important because sometimes you need good technique to get the proper emotion through a song.

In music as I hear it, chords set the general feel of the song. Then, lyrics make it a little more specific. Then, the lead notes allow the emotions that the writers feel to bleed through more specifically. I don't think "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" would have been nearly as good without Clapton's lead work, or George Harrison's vocals.

You dig?
everyone has emotions

not everyone can shred (i cant)
Quote by darkstar2466
Leniency? In the metal forum? This is unheard of. People get massacred here for just walking by.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
he's nothing compared to that guy who does secondhand serenade, though

i was actually thinking of him, too, but that would have opened up a flood of whiny bands. they're both pretty much the same to me. lolz
songwriting skills combined with the amount of technique needed to play what you want to=win
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
emotion here. you can see some of the john frusciente's solos... they arent technically hard... but there is just so much emotion in them
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Jeff Buckley did both.

And I'm a songwriter already, though I constantly wish i was a better guitarist. I'm even tempted to start listening to and learning Metal songs to become quicker and more profficient.
Need Singing Advice?; Read the first page then ask questions.

Quote by punkman_123
Damn Auals, you're messed up. :P

Quote by ZanasCross
This just reminded me of the time that my brother in law texted his mom on the night after his wedding. All it said was "Consummated."
Quote by nightraven
yngwie malmsteen is a great musician, it pisses me off a considerate amount when people leap onto a bandwagon insulting him on the basis of perhaps one of his instructional videos...

+1 >]

By ug starndards, emotion = slow bends.

Also, if you're going to compare the two, I'd say yngwie is a more proficient song writer and has way better technique.
<Omri> I love trannys too..
emotion, no contest.
i mean, a good song, be it instrumental or with lyrics and shit is something that makes you feel what the composer is feeling at the time...
i mean look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7ZPMScX9 life by the drop-stevie ray vaughan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1DzRb4DHGw always with me, always with you-joe satriani
two preety good examples by respected musicians of emotional playing.
Quote by Alex The Red

If it doesn't have to do with tube amps or sex most of us don't really care..

Quote by Kutanmoogle

Looks like Lars Ulrich decided to become a hacker.

Quote by aaron6890
penises FTW

not in the gay way

<.<
>.>

Last edited by morrison27 at Sep 14, 2008,
I would prefer something well-written(well-written to me, that is) over something that purely demonstrates technical skill. I don't know which of those artists I'd pick as I'm not huge on either.
Quote by JamMan*

Same here.

The other day i had a guy come in to work and saw that i had a guitar with me and he asked me what i listened to. He then asked if i liked "that guy that's really good." I replied, "eh?" until he tried to say "malmsteem."

I was like, "eh... don't like him. guy can play fast and nothing else. no emotion or anything; it was embarassing playing next to vai and satriani."

He gave me the weirdest look ever and left.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Kurt Cobain could not write songs.

Vivaldi could write fucking songs, Bach could write songs, Scarlatti could write songs. Kurt Cobain could not write songs.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by evening_crow
Same here.

The other day i had a guy come in to work and saw that i had a guitar with me and he asked me what i listened to. He then asked if i liked "that guy that's really good." I replied, "eh?" until he tried to say "malmsteem."

I was like, "eh... don't like him. guy can play fast and nothing else. no emotion or anything; it was embarassing playing next to vai and satriani."

He gave me the weirdest look ever and left.

I dont blame him...

Quote by lceman13
You have nice hair!

Quote by rabidguitarist
Kurt Cobain could not write songs.

Vivaldi could write fucking songs, Bach could write songs, Scarlatti could write songs. Kurt Cobain could not write songs.

Ah, but as mentioned before, that is subjective. I'd rather listen to Nirvana because it evokes whatever kurt felt when writing and performing his songs instead of listening to Malmsteem.

Now, i'm not exactly dissing on Yngwie, but so far i haven't heard something from him that made me sad, happy, etc. I respect his technical abilities, but that's as much as he's getting from me. Kurt on the other hand wasn't the best guitarist, or singer, or even songwriter to an extent... but he sure did manage to get ppl to connect to his music.

I know some immature UGers will flame me and say that i chose that option because of my avatar but i could care less (actually i hardly ever listen to nirvana any more, the only reason why i still have the avatar is because they got me into rock music and playing guitar when i was a young teenager).

Maybe a better example would've been Satriani and Malmsteem. Satriani is without a doubt a good guitarist but I think Malmsteem is better than him at it; However, he manages to express himself way better. Out of those, Joe gets my vote.

Is that a little more valid?

Quote by Better
I dont blame him...

explain? i'm not quite sure who you're siding with.

Last edited by evening_crow at Sep 14, 2008,

Hey, where'd u get ur sn? Is it from the old gameboy game? Cuz i totally loved playing it...

Terrible thread. I like both artists but the truth is Malmsteen is a better song writer and plays with a lot more feeling than Kurt Cobain

edit: now listen to this and tell me that he can't write songs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TRvJrYhgd0

stop bashing on music you don't fucking listen to
Last edited by ferretman at Sep 14, 2008,
Quote by ferretman
Terrible thread. I like both artists but the truth is Malmsteen is a better song writer and plays with a lot more feeling than Kurt Cobain

edit: now listen to this and tell me that he can't write songs with emotion

My thoughts exactly, I hate how everyone jumps on the bandwagon of malmsteen hate.
Quote by ferretman

edit: now listen to this and tell me that he can't write songs

stop bashing on music you don't fucking listen to

Beautiful song...

..up until he starts all the technical guitar wankering. Sorry, but every most of his songs bore me once he starts soloing. I was watching Evil Eye right before this and loved it... until once again, he started the wankering.

EDIT: I don't know... i'm watching vids of him and it seems like he lost that "spark" over time.

*sadness*

Last edited by evening_crow at Sep 14, 2008,
Since when was it impossible to have both?

Emotion is merely the listeners perception anyway - what goes for one person might not for another
Virtuosity, by far. Alos, people get different emotions oout of different music, who's to say technical music isn't emotional? I get an emotional respone out of the music I listen to, which is generally very technical, if you don't then it's your loss, not the artist's fault.

Quote by GiantRaven
Since when was it impossible to have both?

Emotion is merely the listeners perception anyway - what goes for one person might not for another

Dammit, my point taken just one post ahead of mine.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Page 1 of 2