I might be buying a pedal second hand that may have been damaged. The owner said he used the wrong power adaptor with it (he bought it in the US and took it to Australia) and it caused the pedal to not work with the adaptor. He also said that he used the same adaptor with another pedal, causing it to "fry" as well, but he says that the 2nd pedal works with a battery, so he assumes that the pedal I might be purchasing is fine. He used a basic adaptor he got from an electronics store and said that the pedal worked fine but was a bit noisy. It is an MXR EQ pedal, but he isn't sure whether it is making the noise naturally or because of the adaptor incident. I will be using a noisegate with this pedal. Would I have any problems with the pedal if I was to purchase it, or is it most likely broken?
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
Of course, wouldn't taste too good, being metal and all though.

If you mismatch the power input then something undesirable might happen.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Just don't buy it.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
I was looking on ebay, and I saw another pedal the exact same for about $75 more. I also saw this Ibanez 7 band from the 80s that was really cheap. I might go for one of these instead, but I'm not sure how good the Ibanez ones are though.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
yes you can, my first pedal was a Dano Fab Metal, and I used it with an adapter that was too high milliamps unknowingly for one session, every since then It only comes on for a few seconds and then goes back off.

aka fried. Don't buy the pedal it is a ripoff.
Quote by el-ECTRO
you again

damn i could've done a much better response for ntchode 'Owner of UGs hugest penis'
They can be fried if hooked up backwards, and if given over voltage. So yea if some random adapter is plugged in it could fry one. I checked one of those multi voltage adapters I had at the house and it was putting out 13 volts when set to 9 volts.
Quote by Tackleberry
They can be fried if hooked up backwards, and if given over voltage. So yea if some random adapter is plugged in it could fry one. I checked one of those multi voltage adapters I had at the house and it was putting out 13 volts when set to 9 volts.

Good to know.
Quote by evening_crow
Just don't buy it.

Best advice.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by ntchode
yes you can, my first pedal was a Dano Fab Metal, and I used it with an adapter that was too high milliamps unknowingly for one session, every since then It only comes on for a few seconds and then goes back off.

aka fried. Don't buy the pedal it is a ripoff.

That won't hurt your pedal. You must have used too much voltage or the wrong polarity. The pedal only draws as much current as it needs.

Or it just broke because it's cheaply made.
Quote by Tackleberry

What do you mean hooked up backwards? You mean input and output the wrong way around? I didn't think that could fry a pedal.

Also, some pedals might be able to take higher voltages (say, a pedal which wants 9 volts could work with 12 volts) but it's safer to not take any chances - just use the voltage the pedal should be used with.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
i use a little butter and slowly sauté my pedals instead of frying them. tenderizes them bit, and add a little bit of garlic is always nice.
but fo' real yes you can "fry" them.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
mu buddy plugged a wrong polairity adaptor into my phase 90. most pedals have a safety feature that prevents electrical damage. it cost me 25$ to fix.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by evening_crow
Just don't buy it.

+1 this is still the best adivice in this situation, only because of the uncertainy surrounding it (the pedal).
Last edited by Campbell_x50 at Sep 14, 2008,
Some MXR pedals have current limiting resistors and/or crowbar diodes to HELP protect them in case you plug in an adaptor that's the wrong voltage or polarity, but many of them don't have any circuit protection. If you're lucky, then it just blew the current limiting resistor, which may be relatively easy to fix. Otherwise...

I can't find any schematics for MXR EQ's, so I don't know what kind of power protection (if any) are built into these.

My advice would be not to buy it.
I wasnt sayin hooking the guitar cables up wrong. I was refering to reverse polarity like touching the neg to pos etc. Some pedals will put a protection diode in so its not an issue. But as a cost cutting measure not all do. Some pedals arent to sensative to a little over voltage and some are. Hard to tell which ones by looking at them. But running 18 volts like some pedals use into a 9v pedal will cause problems. If in doubt about a pedal its best to wait for something better to come along.
The danelectro EQ pedal is like 30 bucks. It is only 5 band though, but there are alternatives under 100 bucks for good 8 band eq's.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
I can't find the Danelectro EQ anywhere. I will probably go with the Ibanez GEL that is on ebay right now, unless the MXR is so good that it justifies costing 3 times as much as the Ibanez.

I'm in Australia, so stuff is hard to find and a lot more expensive. An MXR 10 band EQ is like $350 new. There is one on ebay for $200 and this Ibanez for $65, and I have read heaps of good reviews for the Ibanez, so I will probably go for it.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Last edited by grobbo91 at Sep 14, 2008,
Any other advice?
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Thread solved. You've got your advice. No Mo Bumpin.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
^I was talking about the other pedals I was looking into purchasing...
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200