Another new guitar thread, but what would UG be without them?

After having my Les Paul for quite a while, I'm feeling a little depraved in the shredding side of things. So I've decided to get a superstrat of some type. I'm not going for something expensive, just something to dick around on, and I think I've found a pretty good one for that.

It is the Ibanez RGR321EX and it seems to be just a MTM2 with a fixed bridge and a different fretboard, but a third cheaper (£200). Am I wrong in thinking this?

I think the fixed bridge should work best for me, since I find myself playing lots of tunings, but then again I could always use the Les Paul for different tunings, and keep the Ibanez at E.

I play a lot of music, from Rush and Led Zeppelin to Mastodon, Randy Rhoads or Black Label Society, with a lot of bands in between.
Real men don't need sigs.
Well, it's got good reviews, but only really metalheads reviewed it. Is there any place you caan try it?

It seems like a good guitar though, denfinatly try it.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
Well, it's got good reviews, but only really metalheads reviewed it. Is there any place you caan try it?

It seems like a good guitar though, denfinatly try it.

There's a few guitar shops I can go to see if they have it or anything similar, but I'm not quite sure. There's a local guitar shop with the RGR08LTD so I'll try it out too. Any idea how they are?

Go with the RG321MH instead.

Is there much difference between them, apart from the pickups? I'll probably put new ones in there at a later stage anyway.
The RG321MH is mahogany, whereas the RGR is basswood. I have it, it's a rather good guitar for its price. The pickups are shitty, though, but that's a given on Ibanez guitars. But you should go for the MH, IMO. Mahogany gives a ballsier tone, which you seem to prefer, and the guitar has a 5 way switch, with coil-tap, which the RGR doesn't have. If I had known more about the MH I would have gone for it, but I'm quite pleased with what I have. They're almost the same price, also.
Quote by Whiskky
The RG321MH is mahogany, whereas the RGR is basswood. I have it, it's a rather good guitar for its price. The pickups are shitty, though, but that's a given on Ibanez guitars. But you should go for the MH, IMO. Mahogany gives a ballsier tone, which you seem to prefer, and the guitar has a 5 way switch, with coil-tap, which the RGR doesn't have. If I had known more about the MH I would have gone for it, but I'm quite pleased with what I have. They're almost the same price, also.

I'll just go and see what there is at the guitar shop. See what's similar. I don't want something too similar to the Les Paul, so I'm not sure about the mahogany. Also has anyone played the single pickup one? It has a Seymour Duncan Blackout, and I couldn't see myself needing a neck pickup for something just to solo on, hell I rarely even use it on the Les Paul.
Well as a owner of a RGR08LTD I can give you my views.
Compared to my mahogany EX400 the RGR has a more sharper tone, but when played in drop C you still get an awesome 'chugchug' from it. Also it has a active SD in the bridge, and really that is all you need , it even smoothens the higher string tones a bit for a better solo tone. the neck is perfect imo, very sleek and fast , just like the Prestige RG's . Only downpoint might be the shoddy built quality of it . It feels sturdy but some details ( mainly the neckbinding though) doesn't seem spot on perfect. But that is only noticed when you look at it from a distance of 30cm, and mainly on the headstock.

Overall this is imo the best ibanez you can buy for 400 bucks without changing pickups. If your into hardcore/metal type genres offcourse.
Orange Enthousiast.
Last edited by TTC at Sep 14, 2008,
Quote by TTC
Well as a owner of a RGR08LTD I can give you my views.
Compared to my mahogany EX400 the RGR has a more sharper tone, but when played in drop C you still get an awesome 'chugchug' from it. Also it has a active SD in the bridge, and really that is all you need , it even smoothens the higher string tones a bit for a better solo tone. the neck is perfect imo, very sleek and fast , just like the Prestige RG's . Only downpoint might be the shoddy built quality of it . It feels sturdy but some details ( mainly the neckbinding though) doesn't seem spot on perfect. But that is only noticed when you look at it from a distance of 30cm, and mainly on the headstock.

Overall this is imo the best ibanez you can buy for 400 bucks without changing pickups. If your into hardcore/metal type genres offcourse.

Well that's just what I've been looking for in a guitar. I'll end up getting this. Plus that finish is to die for. Piano black with white binding is pure win.
indeed it is, but except to carry weeping clothes along cause the finish gets dirty very fast.
Orange Enthousiast.
Last edited by TTC at Sep 14, 2008,