I'm thinking of upgrading the speaker in my Hot Rod Deluxe. I like Celestion speakers and these can be had for very good prices this side of the pond, although their prices are going up on 1st October...hence why I want to get one ordered soon.

I've read both good and bad things about the two speakers I have in mind:

A) Celestion Vintage 30

These were fitted as standard on the "Texas Red" Limited Edition run of HRDx amps

or

B) Celestion G12 Century Vintage

These were fitted as standard on the "White Lightning" Limited Edition run of HRDx amps

The Century Vintage costs a little more and seems to have the slightly better reviews overall, with some complaining that the Vintage 30 is a little too midrange-heavy.

Anyone have any opinions on these? Anyone heard these in a HDRx amp (including the LE models I mention above)?

Thanks in advance.
kipper15

Guitar: Fender MIA 2006 Strat, Callaham upgrades
Pickups: Fender Custom Shop '69
Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
FX: Boss ME-50, Boss FBM-1, Boss FDR-1, Boss FRV-1, Boss GE-7, Vox Wah Wah, Dunlop Crybaby
Misc: Vox JamVOX, Dr Z Air Brake
Quote by forsaknazrael
Don't post the same thread in multiple forms.

I don't think the V30 is for you, incidentally. Probably a bad idea in a Fender amp, anyway. I wouldn't even be thinking Celestion. Eminence makes some great American voiced speakers. A Cannabis Rex, Swamp Thing, or Texas Heat would be nice.

Sorry about the double post...I wasn't sure where it should go, so thought I'd try two areas of the forums

Interesting comments...I've read so many good things about the Celestions in the HRDx amps. I'll certainly check out the Eminence range, thanks for the tip. The Legend 125 comes as stock with the HRDx so I'd be interested to hear how their own 'better' speakers would fare in my amp.
kipper15

FX: Boss ME-50, Boss FBM-1, Boss FDR-1, Boss FRV-1, Boss GE-7, Vox Wah Wah, Dunlop Crybaby
for what type of music? i'm not too well up on speakers, but until we know what you play, it's hard to help...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i hear the eminence swamp thang is magical in these amps. i would put one in mine if i wasnt so broke.

and you should have just posted this in the ultimate speaker thread.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by Dave_Mc
for what type of music? i'm not too well up on speakers, but until we know what you play, it's hard to help...

I am still very much at the learning stage after a year or so, I don't play (or rather try to play!) any particular style although I am putting most of my efforts into learning the basics of classic rock and blues rock styles.

Since my initial post I have read on Justin Holton's excellent Hot Rod Deluxe web site that most people apparently seem to end up reverting to the stock Eminence speaker after trying several alternatives out!
kipper15

Quote by chea_man
i hear the eminence swamp thang is magical in these amps. i would put one in mine if i wasnt so broke.

Seems like Eminence is a popular upgrade choice for this speaker, having looked around on the web at what others have done, I guess their speakers are pretty good in the first place hence Fender's choice to include one in the standard issue HRDx - and why many go back it!

Quote by chea_man
and you should have just posted this in the ultimate speaker thread.

Thanks for the tip.
kipper15

I wouldn't get the vintage 30 end up taking it out because it's got too much upper midrange honk. This amp already has a lot of upper midrange so the vintage 30 can put it over the top and make it sound nasal.

The G12 century vintage is a cold sounding speaker that is quite good if you need clear crisp clean tone of if you want huge distortion without having your tone turn into mud. If you do need crystal clear cleans and you plan on cranking the amp to 10 and need to have a speaker that will hold everything together then the Century vintage is a very good choice but for most types of music, I think the G12H is a better speaker in this amp.

The G12H is a very good all around speaker for these amps and it's what I would recomend to most people that want to play a little bit of everything. It's warm and balanced. Not the best speaker for metal, but most people that get this amp don't want to play metal anyway.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
I wouldn't get the vintage 30 end up taking it out because it's got too much upper midrange honk. This amp already has a lot of upper midrange so the vintage 30 can put it over the top and make it sound nasal.

The G12 century vintage is a cold sounding speaker that is quite good if you need clear crisp clean tone of if you want huge distortion without having your tone turn into mud. If you do need crystal clear cleans and you plan on cranking the amp to 10 and need to have a speaker that will hold everything together then the Century vintage is a very good choice but for most types of music, I think the G12H is a better speaker in this amp.

The G12H is a very good all around speaker for these amps and it's what I would recomend to most people that want to play a little bit of everything. It's warm and balanced. Not the best speaker for metal, but most people that get this amp don't want to play metal anyway.

Interesting...thanks for the comments. Would you still recommend the G12H for a Hot Rod Deluxe if I was to put THD Yellow Jackets in the amp (replacing the stock 6L6 Groove Tubes)?
kipper15

the standard g12h reissue has 30 watt handling, so keep that in mind, idk what the Hot Rod Deluxe is rated.

Also, the standard g12h reissue has this ice picky high end, its really annoying, and an over prominent low end. They need to be broken in, and this model in particular (along with the 55 hz heritage model), seems to take forever to really break in. I'm talking 50-100 hours of gig volume playing to REALLY smooth out the high end and tighten up the lows. But after that, they sound great. Just keep in mind the break in time is very long. What you may want to do is look at Weber speakers as well. Cost about the same as Celestions, but are better overall. They will also start to the break in process for you by putting it on a variac for a few hours.

Really, I've always associated Celestion g12h/g12m with Marshalls. I guess you could try it in your Fender, I can't really tell you how it'll sound.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 20, 2008,