Hi all, im learning how to play Hey joe by Hendrix. Im very new to guitar and i am having some problems. The chord progression is C,G,D,A,E. The problem im having is no matter how hard i practise i just can't change fom C to G anywhere near fast enough. Ive practised for about 4 hours now just on this song but i just can't seem to master it. Any suggestions ?
You could try doing the "other" version of the C chord (I'm assuming C and G are major chords), which has the high e string (The sixth) on fret 3, which is also where the G major is.
Otherwise, keep practicing.
barre chords, or get better. four hours is not enough, learning to play guitar takes time.
Quote by monkeysintheday
I have trained a live tarantula to calm and sit on my guitar due to the awesome powers of my rocking. When I am not playing it angrily bounces about my room hitting everything that isn't me.

Quote by stef123

rageagainst64 you are a legend!
practice, practice, practice.

everybody has trouble when they first start. start off playing it slow, then work your way up to doing it faster.
Quote by Ichimaru
I've always wanted to meet a really hot readhead so that I could tell her name is Moses and I'm here to see the burning bush.
I play it with bar chords. Found it to be easier that way. Also with heabier songs it is a better sound than the open strings.
use this G chord:

Its used more commonly in rock music then the normal g major chord and is easier in my opinion
RIP George Carlin (1937-2008)
Quote by rageagainst64
barre chords, or get better. four hours is not enough, learning to play guitar takes time.

+1

Depending on how far away the song is from your current ability level it might take days or even weeks to nail it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
4 hours is nothing, i've spent weeks trying to master certain things.
Kit:

Tanglewood TW28STR
PRS Soapbar SE II
Epiphone LP100

Roland Cube 30x (New!)
Quote by Head BANGER 81
use this G chord:

Its used more commonly in rock music then the normal g major chord and is easier in my opinion

If that's tab it's upside down.

But I agree, that's the most common way to play a G chord in rock.

hendrix used a lot of partial barre chords so he probably wouldn't have used that particular shape, but since TS just started playing it's probably a good shape to learn
Quote by Head BANGER 81
use this G chord:

If you still can't do it, you can go even simpler and use this version:
Really easy to catch
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley