This may sound like a strange question, but do you bass players keep your fingernails short? The reason i ask is because i play classical guitar and i keep my fingernails long, but when i play bass i get that high clicky noise as if im using a pick.

Any suggestions as to how to get rid of this clicking noise, or ill just keep my fingernails short, as i prefer the tone on bass and it doesnt inhibit my ability to play classical guitar..too much.

Also, how many of you use 3 fingers constantly for bass playing? Do you alternate between 2 and 3 fingers, depending on the need?

I usually only use 3 fingers for quick triplet runs.
I keep my nails ridiculously short in order to avoid that tone. I also alternate between two and three fingers.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Unless you really want to castrate your attack on the strings, there is no real way to avoid long nails making contact. I have this dilemma too. I just keep em short, because playing guitar with short nails isn't that bad.
I normally use two, but use three for triplets and the like. I've started doing this weird thing of late though. I'll play with my index, and middle/ring together. I doubt that it is efficient.
I play with a pick almost exclusively, but when I play finger style I keep my fingernails short, as the tone is better and its more comfortable. I switch between two, three or four fingers when necessary.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
i keep my nails short, well actually i chew them so there short automatically lol. and 2 fingers should be fine, 3 fingers only if you practice it alot
Bass:
2008 Fender MIA Precision Bass
2006 Fender MIM Jazz bass
Amp:
Fender rumble 60
Effects:
Boss bass Overdrive
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Refurb

MUSE
RADIOHEAD
RED HOT CHILI PEPPERSMy inspirations
Quote by gm jack
I keep my nails ridiculously short in order to avoid that tone. I also alternate between two and three fingers.

Do you have callouses on the tips of your ring middle and index finger because of this?

I have callouses on those fingers almost like my fretting hand because i kept my nails short
I have my nails short and generally use 2 fingers.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by grifff
Do you have callouses on the tips of your ring middle and index finger because of this?

I have callouses on those fingers almost like my fretting hand because i kept my nails short

I have never formed true calluses, but the skin is thicker there, yes.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I keep mine short and filed down. I tend to use 2 fingers, sometimes three.

One of the fringe benefits of being a female bass players is that I finally have a good excuse not to buy into nail talon culture of many American females, lol.
Girls like shorter nails. No one wants a cut down er...

Yeah.

In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Would you mind using fingerpicks for classical? I keep my nails short and play with 2 fingers usually. I use 3 for gallops and triplet stuff but I'm trying to get where I can do those with 2 fingers.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I usually don't care about my finger nails, haha.
I chew 'em a lot though, so they're usually short.

I always use two fingers, never 3. Never got into the habit of doing that.
I can play triplets fine with just 2 though.
People don't understand what calluses are. I have calluses on both of my palms from weight lifting, yet I'm been playing bass longer than I have worked out. I just use 2 fingers + thumb. No true calluses on either. Of course the skin is harder and thicker.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
I keep my nails short because I hate that noise too. And I normally use two, sometimes three fingers (for songs that need it or for wowing people xD). Sometimes I double pluck (use two fingers for one strum) for an extra loud sound similar to slapping or popping without actually doing so.
I cut em when i can, sometimes i forget to cut em so my tone gets all ... twangy i guess, it just sounds bad to me.

I like to use three fingers more than two, i dont know why but i just keep at it. Some people i've met say it messes with the sound that certain songs make (ie, the first time i played blitzkrieg bop with friends) but that was just cause i kept doing this tiny pause between every 3 notes played since i didnt know how to just keep it constant. However, I fixed that problem up a while ago.

I dont count the little bit of hardness on my index and middle fingers (only those two, i dont know why) as a true callous, but it's still there. However, my hands look like pansy hands compared to my dads which are all like OMGWTFLOLBBQHAOUDOINTHAT??? callouses all over from construction work and bass playing.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
People don't understand what calluses are. I have calluses on both of my palms from weight lifting, yet I'm been playing bass longer than I have worked out. I just use 2 fingers + thumb. No true calluses on either. Of course the skin is harder and thicker.

what is a true callouse then?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
what is a true callouse then?

i'd like to know too, cause if that guy is correct, that means theres somthing i could learn today
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
A callous is a mix of hyperplasia and metaplasia (sometimes dysplasia) of cells where pressure is being applied. By true biomedical definition, the hardening of skin on the fingertips is a callous. More pressure is put under weightlifting, which is why they're more developed. A callous is a callous is a callous, and a callous can return to normal skin tissue.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
How the hell would you know?

From TV
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Deliriumbassist
A callous is a mix of hyperplasia and metaplasia (sometimes dysplasia) of cells where pressure is being applied. By true biomedical definition, the hardening of skin on the fingertips is a callous. More pressure is put under weightlifting, which is why they're more developed. A callous is a callous is a callous, and a callous can return to normal skin tissue.

how do i know if i have them?
Quote by guitarhero_764

Quote by ScottB.
how do i know if i have them?

You missed his point. A callous is a callous. It's a hardening of skin. If your skin feels harder and tougher around the tip of your finger, it's a callous.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Nutter_101
You missed his point. A callous is a callous. It's a hardening of skin. If your skin feels harder and tougher around the tip of your finger, it's a callous.

Oh right, I always knew/thought that that I had them until I read CLIFF_BURTONs post.
Quote by guitarhero_764

i cumpulsively chew my finger nails but they aint that short....es a nervous habit
Try adding more delay.