alright here's what i'm looking for
gigging capability, i'm thinking a 2x12 combo to half stack, i don't trust 1x12's sorry
preferably 50 watts, with a power down switch to 10-25, something like that
2 channels, at least one eq, 2 independent ones would be nice, but i don't mind one
pretty good cleans, overdrive goes from blues to classic rock, hard rock, and on to thrash metal (metallica, megadeth, slayer, pantera, sepultura) the main thing you see here in the sound is versatality, but still the biggest things are classic/hard rock and cleans
also effects loop and reverb are must have
i've looked into a couple of different amps
here's what i have:
jcm 900 2x12 50 watt combo (by far the leading candidate)
b-52 st-6012 60 watt 2x12 (not sure it would do classic rock as well as i want)
possibly mesa f-30/50?
i've heard stuff about traynor ycv40 or ycv50's as well
any suggestions welcome
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Why not a Mesa Dual Rectofier Roadster? You can scale it down to 50 watts, by no means is it quiet after that, but still you have 100 watts for headroom.

On your list i'd say the Marshall tho, even tho I'm not a fan of them, it looks like your best bet.

You could also go with an Engl Fireball 60 watter. I heard them are amazing, and from what I heard they are.

Guitars:
-Jackson DXMG (SH-2N, SH-6)
-Schecter Hellraiser C1 (18v)
-Ibanez XPT707FX (Blackouts)
-Ibanez BTB 400 Bass

Main Amp: Mesa DR Roadster

I think I've commented on this before and I still say the JCM800, they just sound a lot better than the JCM900s, which just sound thin and sterile to me. The later 2205/2210 have an effects loop, independent eqs, they're not as natural sounding as the early 2203/2204, but are still easily better than the JCM900s imo.

I'm still not sure what people's problem with the 50 watt JCM800's cleans are. Yeah, they're going to break up at high volumes, they use el-34s, what else does one expect? They're not high headroom power tubes, they're supposed to break up, any el34 based amp will break up at higher volumes.

The only thing the JCM900 has on the 800 is more gain (if one considers that a plus), and dual reverb control, and I guess cleaner cleans if you're running 6L6s in the power section, which makes the amp more modern sounding all around, and compromises punch and balls for more gain. I really do not like the JCM900s at all, if you want that kind of buzzy high gain tone, get a Mesa. Outside of that, the 800 outclasses the 900s in every possible way.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 14, 2008,
Quote by al112987
I think I've commented on this before and I still say the JCM800, they just sound a lot better than the JCM900s, which just sound thin and sterile to me. The later 2205/2210 have an effects loop, independent eqs, they're not as natural sounding as the early 2203/2204, but are still easily better than the JCM900s imo.

I'm still not sure what people's problem with the 50 watt JCM800's cleans are. Yeah, they're going to break up at high volumes, they use el-34s, what else does one expect? They're not high headroom power tubes, they're supposed to break up, any el34 based amp will break up at higher volumes.

The only thing the JCM900 has on the 800 is more gain (if one considers that a plus), and dual reverb control, and I guess cleaner cleans if you're running 6L6s in the power section, which makes the amp more modern sounding all around, and compromises punch and balls for more gain. I really do not like the JCM900s at all, if you want that kind of buzzy high gain tone, get a Mesa. Outside of that, the 800 outclasses the 900s in every possible way.

yeah i'll try out the 800 to see if it has enough gain for what i want
but i think you're right on all of that, i just want control on headroom
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
If your budget is 600, I would say a Bugera 333xl. Great cleans, and more gain than you'll ever need.

Now, the reliability of these is more than you'd think, as in reality, they are handbuilt (NOT BY BEHRINGER) and they work great. If you expirence any problems it would only be within the first month, and if you don't you're all set.

I would try one if I were you
No way in hell they're all handbuilt.

If you had any idea how much time it takes to hand build an amp, there is no way in hell a brand like Bugera can put out as many amps as they do with all of them hand wired. "hand built" can mean a bunch of different things, most likely it means the assembly is not automated and that someone is controlling them, but no way in hell they are hand built in the sense that a person places each part by hand, solders it down by hand, and tests by hand.
Quote by al112987
No way in hell they're all handbuilt.

If you had any idea how much time it takes to hand build an amp, there is no way in hell a brand like Bugera can put out as many amps as they do with all of them hand wired. "hand built" can mean a bunch of different things, most likely it means the assembly is not automated and that someone is controlling them, but no way in hell they are hand built in the sense that a person places each part by hand, solders it down by hand, and tests by hand.

Plus, if they did that it would be pretty damn expensive
Quote by Highwaytohell
If your budget is 600, I would say a Bugera 333xl. Great cleans, and more gain than you'll ever need.

Now, the reliability of these is more than you'd think, as in reality, they are handbuilt (NOT BY BEHRINGER) and they work great. If you expirence any problems it would only be within the first month, and if you don't you're all set.

I would try one if I were you

i'm only going for thrash gain, so i'd rather not sacrifice getting intensely good high gain for mediocre classic/hard rock sounds
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE