So, the past week I worked on a fuzz. It's my first own-build effectpedal. It's Tim's Tripple Fuzz, some of you may have heard of it. Well, I made it.

It uses a non-selective frequency tripler, that why it's called Tripple Fuzz. The two diodes are some Russian diodes I found at a internet store. It sounds very cool. On low gain it gives a nice, wooly distortion. Half gain is more heavy fuzz and with the gain full open, it gives a biting, aggressive fuzz.

Here is the schematic for who wants to know:

I use stripboard to solder the components on, so I searched for a vero-layout. It looks like this:
(Invalid img)

From here I'll let the pictures speak.

What do you think of it? As you can see it still has to be painted. I think I'm gonna paint it black. Sound samples are in my profile, so check them out if you want.
Last edited by WtrPlyr at Sep 14, 2008,
actually sounds pretty good. the low gain setting is real nice, the mid seems a little harsh, and high gain sounds great for metal-ish playing
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
i might make me one of these....

edit:

ts whats q1 q2 q3, i guess there the op-amps?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Last edited by rancidryan at Sep 15, 2008,
Quote by rancidryan
i might make me one of these....

edit:

ts whats q1 q2 q3, i guess there the op-amps?

transistors

Q1 is a PNP bipolar junction transistor
Q2 and Q3 and NPN bipolar junction transistor
^Jup, what he says. For the diodes you can use any diode you want basically. I used some Russian silicon ones the store I buy everything from had in stock. You can also use some LED's for some soft clipping.
i haven't done transistors yet, can i use any pnp and npn bipolar junction transistors?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by seljer
transistors

Q1 is a PNP bipolar junction transistor
Q2 and Q3 and NPN bipolar junction transistor

You've got that backwards. MPSA13s are NPN, 2N3906s are PNP...

So Q1 and Q2 are NPN BJT and Q3 is the PNP BJT.

edit: Ryan, yes, it should work. Differrent transistors sound different. Silicon is said to sound harsher than Germanium.
I like the low gain setting. Sounds kind of like a low gain germanium Fuzz Face being lightly driven by a Rangemaster.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by asfastasdark
I like the low gain setting. Sounds kind of like a low gain germanium Fuzz Face being lightly driven by a Rangemaster.

Rangemaster? The 60's Goya guitar? I have one of those... needs a refret badly... but the damn thing is so ugly...
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
No, the Dallas Rangemaster, it's a treble boost.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
that thing sounds freakin' sweet! i love the random noise made during the high gain mode, and Burn the Witch and Plug in Baby are 2 very good songs to demo with this! love it!
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Looks nice, don't go with black paint tho, do something interesting, i hear tiger stripes calling....
Kit:

Tanglewood TW28STR
PRS Soapbar SE II
Epiphone LP100

Roland Cube 30x (New!)
Yeah but I got some nice texteffect created in photoshop so I'll paint it black and put the text on it with stickers or something. It'll probably will look good. But I'm going to build a Crunchbox clone too so maybe I'll do something exciting with the finish of that little boy.