What peavy powerd mixer would you recemend for $350 or less? Needs probualy 300W for bar gigs
What speakers do you have?
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Live and I dont have any speakers. Im looking at the peavy 15 inch speakers.
What's the total budget? And what are you going to plug into it?
It may be a better idea to get affordable active speakers like the Tapco Thump (I've seen them for $260 on ebay) and a basic analog mixer (powered mixers are a pain to carry around). You'll get more flexibility in regards to busses (ie. separate mixes for monitors) and inserts (external effects).
Alternatively, you can get an insane amount of power by getting a separate power amp + a mixer over a powered mixer. More power means better clarity at lower volumes, and it's less likely you'll fry your amp if the demand's too much (though you should be careful in not blowing out your speakers).
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

im better off w/o active speakers thats gonna really hit my wallet. so what route i use
You didn't tell us what you are hooking up...how many microphones, what instruments...
Quote by keiron_d

Oh sorry. As of right now I just want to run lead vocals and one back up vocals. And if I could run two guitars through it but thats no biggy.
Oh, a basic 4 channel mixer then. Running guitars means for me that you'll be taking a signal from an SM57 if it's electric, or from the preamp if it's acoustic.

Well, based on what you said...

Peavey passive speakers (PR 12N/15N): They run $170 - 199...depending if you want a 12 or 15inch woofer (better bass). You'll need two. They handle 400 Watts.

Powered mixer: If you don't mind going with Samson, another reliable brand, 400 Watts will cost $350. Keep in mind, If you must have Peavey, it'll be $500 for 300 Watts. The 400 Watts will only be out of each speaker if you force each speaker to play (bridged) in mono.

Alternative: Peavey's PV6, $90, then a power amp like the Tapco Juice 800...$230. The sound will be better since the wattage is sufficient. Also, you can do stereo sound without a problem. You can add external effects if you must have them (the powered amps tend to have them since they are meant to be an all-in-one thing) or upgrade to mixers that come with effects (or USB/Firewire if you want to easily record your performances) like the Mackie DFX6, which is around $200.
Quote by keiron_d

Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Sep 15, 2008,