Hey,
Quite a while back I made the stupid mistake of buying a good guitar before buying a good amp; so now I'm playing my awesome Ibanez S470DXQM through a crappy no-name 10 watt amp. Anyhoo I've saved up some money and am looking for an amp to go with my guitar.

For about 6 months I've had the Roland Cube 60 in mind which in the UK is, a pleasing, £150. But I've recently seen quite a lot of people recommending the new Peavey Vypyr's which has only complicated matters for me.

So now I'm stuck; I play a lot of metal (Metallica, Pantera etc), various other things too, but mainly metal and I've got about £250 to spend. So do I get a Roland Cube 60 and a Line6 Pocket Pod for £200? or the Vypyr 75 for the full £250?

I might gig sometime in the near future to about 75-100 people. But my uses will be mostly limited to home practise or jamming with a band.

Thanks a lot,
Any help would be appreciated.
-Gear-
Line 6 Flextone III Plus
Behringer FCB1010 Emulating a FBV Longboard
I tried out the Vypyr last night and for the price its a sick amp.
I havent played the cube though so idk...
Id have to say vypyr from what i know.
the cube tends to be more common because its been around, the vypyr is brand new, and I think it will be pretty hard to find a local store that has them, Peaveys are pretty good if you can fnd it. Try it out
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by VanTheKraut
the cube tends to be more common because its been around, the vypyr is brand new, and I think it will be pretty hard to find a local store that has them, Peaveys are pretty good if you can fnd it. Try it out

Yeah, they don't go on sale here til october, so I'll keep reading reviews and stories until it goes on sale, and then decide; obvioudly after trying them both out
i own the ss 75 watt vypyr...i would have sex with it if i could...enough said

EDIT: the vypyr also comes with free software (revalver and reaper) for recording and the amp works as an interface so u wouldnt NEED a toneport, in case u were wondering
Quote by altoidwithmelon
You dont lose your virginity, you voluntarily misplace it.

Quote by Ur all $h1t
You should bottle up all of your emotions till they become a problem that requires professional help.
It's good for the economy.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/rabidpitweasels/
Also, I've never heard a Vypyr, but I've heard the cube, and I loved it so much, I had the shop owner order me one... I actually should have called him yesterday but I forgot

My memory FTL
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by zegreatdane
i own the ss 75 watt vypyr...i would have sex with it if i could...enough said

EDIT: the vypyr also comes with free software (revalver and reaper) for recording and the amp works as an interface so u wouldnt NEED a toneport, in case u were wondering

I'm almost going to have to agree with you.
My VYPYR has become my primary amp really.
Quote by TheEsupremacy
I'm almost going to have to agree with you.
My VYPYR has become my primary amp really.

damn, even over the 6505?
Quote by altoidwithmelon

Quote by Ur all $h1t
You should bottle up all of your emotions till they become a problem that requires professional help.

Quote by zegreatdane
damn, even over the 6505?

He probably uses it more because the 6505 is a big slab of metal.
Probably uses it for non metal genres.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']He probably uses it more because the 6505 is a big slab of metal.
Probably uses it for non metal genres.
Exactly. I get in the bad habit of cranking the 6505 louder and louder because it sounds so killer the harder you push it. My neighbors hate me.
I don't have to push the VYPYR at all to get great tone(s). I can play it at a sane volume. Make no mistake though, that 75 watt VYPYR WILL give you hearing damage if you crank it up. It's also nice to take a break from the 6505 "kick your teeth in" metal tones once in a while. I have rediscovered my liking for sweet clean and slightly dirty crunch. Just to let everyone know, the VYPYR takes to pedals better than any solid state modeler I have ever heard. My Fulltone OCD can make the VYPYR it's bitch. The sheer amount of tones you can get out of it are mind boggling.

EDIT: I am such a fan of the VYPYR actually I would recommend it to anyone as a starter amp, practice amp, gig amp, wank around amp, even IF you own a killer tube amp already. It's just that good.
Last edited by TheEsupremacy at Sep 14, 2008,
Thanks everyone! from what I've just read it seems that the Vypyr's the winner, but I'm gonna have to wait until it goes on sale here and after I'vd read some more stories.

Thanks a lot you guys, you were really helpful
-Gear-
Line 6 Flextone III Plus
Behringer FCB1010 Emulating a FBV Longboard
don't the vypyrs have two different optional pedal boards to go with it? did you guys get one of those as well? or how easy is it to configure and switch between presets without the board?
Quote by TheEsupremacy
Exactly. I get in the bad habit of cranking the 6505 louder and louder because it sounds so killer the harder you push it. My neighbors hate me.
I don't have to push the VYPYR at all to get great tone(s). I can play it at a sane volume. Make no mistake though, that 75 watt VYPYR WILL give you hearing damage if you crank it up. It's also nice to take a break from the 6505 "kick your teeth in" metal tones once in a while. I have rediscovered my liking for sweet clean and slightly dirty crunch. Just to let everyone know, the VYPYR takes to pedals better than any solid state modeler I have ever heard. My Fulltone OCD can make the VYPYR it's bitch. The sheer amount of tones you can get out of it are mind boggling.

EDIT: I am such a fan of the VYPYR actually I would recommend it to anyone as a starter amp, practice amp, gig amp, wank around amp, even IF you own a killer tube amp already. It's just that good.

too true man, im gonna get the sanpera 1 footswitch for it and then itll be plenty gig rready for me, just startin another band
and yeah i love the powersponger on it i can get great tones out of it with the power sponger on even when my parents only let me play it on like master volume 1 at home cuz yeah it gets plenty loud anyway TS get the vypyr u wont be dissapointed...at all
Quote by altoidwithmelon

Quote by Ur all $h1t

Quote by black_box
don't the vypyrs have two different optional pedal boards to go with it? did you guys get one of those as well? or how easy is it to configure and switch between presets without the board?

it looks complex at first but i only had to use my manual the first time i used it, anyway u just set ur FX up the way u want them and then go about creating all the lovely channels u want, when u find a tone u like hold a preset button down to save it, pretty simple
Quote by altoidwithmelon

Quote by Ur all $h1t