Poll: Do you like emo or pop punk?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you like emo or pop punk?
Like emo
3 8%
Like pop punk
11 29%
Like both
9 24%
Hate
15 39%
Voters: 38.
I dont really get what everyone's issue with emo and pop-punk music is. I mean, some of it is really good and I love it ... except emo music ... just thought I would ask cuz I really want to know!

Thanks
because it isn't technical, which is what a lot of guitarists like.
I don't really mind pop punk but its just kinda boring, i like a good key/time sig/tempo change every 5 seconds.
Quote by metal Lover
The thought of you humping her limp body is hilarious.

I think people feel that both have been done better in the past and this new wave are just hanging on the coattails of legends an innovators to make a quick buck off gullible kids.
Quote by PedroLesPaulVM
I think people feel that both have been done better in the past and this new wave are just hanging on the coattails of legends an innovators to make a quick buck off gullible kids.

or maybe they merely play a style they LIKE to play :O
can't really say I like or hate a whole genre, but for the most part i'm not into that kinda stuff. Although my favorite band is Brand New and their earlier stuff could be classified as emo...
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
No It Just sucks
Emo= all the same, sad, easy guitar lines and a lead singer who`s crying and singing ;IM NOT OKAY, IM NOT OKAY' For 5 minutes
Pop Punk= Just a Stupid poser genre where some rich boys with quasi 'cool' haircuts try to act like their cool, though and that they can play guitar (which they can`t).
So it both sucks
I don't like emo because I don't like music that conveys misery and hopelessness. I do listen to sad music, but it generally sounds less pathetic.

Also, most of UG are metal fans and want an easy target for bashing, like emo kids.

I like pop-punk, though, if it's cheerful and energetic. Some of my favourite bands are Blink 182, Sum 41, Bowling for Soup and Set Your Goals.

I know it's wrong to generalise a whole genre, but of all the "emo" I've listened to, be it what people call emo today, or what used to be called emotional hardcore in the eighties, I didn't like any of it.
Quote by aartisookniemiz
No It Just sucks
Emo= all the same, sad, easy guitar lines and a lead singer who`s crying and singing ;IM NOT OKAY, IM NOT OKAY' For 5 minutes
Pop Punk= Just a Stupid poser genre where some rich boys with quasi 'cool' haircuts try to act like their cool, though and that they can play guitar (which they can`t).
So it both sucks

This.
Gear:
B-52 ATX-100
Mesa Oversized recto 4x12
Jackson DKMG (w/ BareKnuckle Warpigs )
Ibanez Acoustic

Feel free to add me or PM me.
yea i see wat u mean man....in fact most of the time, guitarists dnt like the music cuz its "easy" and stuff....they just gotta realize tht music isnt good if its hard all the time -.-.
its all about the arrangement of songs..
other people dnt like it and prefer metal or sumthing cuz they will think their cooler if they do cuz its more extreme i suppose -.-...and im not saying there arent people who like metal just for liking metal which is totally respectable and thts awesome.
but seriously...as a guitarist myself..i play everything. i shred, and i play blink 182. cuz watever sounds good to me, is good.we gotta learn to appreciate almost all music u kno?
Emo stuff like Saosin is fricking awesome. I dislike Pop-punk cuz its way too easy for me to play, so i love Metal, Scream-o sh*t, Horror Punk, some new puunjk, and mainly oldschool punk
Myspace.

Quote by djmay71
it wasn't 7 days, it was 5.

and you call yourself the son of catholics

Quote by hugh20
I would keep it on my mantel piece and tell my grandchildren about the day I tried to overthrow the human race with my race of tree-men.
because the same reason people hate guitar hero

guitarists spend a lot of time learning to play better and then something or someone comes along and simplifies it. this then becomes popular and people hate the fact that people are taking short cuts and being better than them
blink 182, green day and sum 41 basiclaly changed music ... well modern mainstream rock so ... blah
Quote by guitarheroII
Emo stuff like Saosin is fricking awesome. I dislike Pop-punk cuz its way too easy for me to play, so i love Metal, Scream-o sh*t, Horror Punk, some new puunjk, and mainly oldschool punk

horror punk ... the misfits? who rock btw
urgh get out of our forum. Its because people like to think they're cool for hating them. And the 'its not skilled' etc arguement is pretty fail. There are skilled guitarists in this genre, hell the MCR guitarist is probably better than 90% of the people on this forum who diss him.

Or its all power chords - I could whine at metal for just being full of pentatonic minor scale.
+1000000000000000^
Ray toro is actually better than all of you will ever be
even if you can play faster (FASTER DOES NOT = BETTER) you will never be as good.
and to the guy who said stuff about whining/crying and pointing out MCR has obviously never listened to an mcr song.....same for the guy who said all "emo" is hopeless and depressing. "We'll carry on" "i am not afraid to keep on living" yea.....depressing lyrics....****ing retards
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

I like emo, but i hate pop-punk simply because every pop-punk band sounds EXACTLY THE SAME

Its boring as hell, they just use the same riffs, the vocals sound the same, they all even LOOK the same

I cannot stand it
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433

Best post in this thread.

Most people who hate pop punk and emo don't know what the genres are anyway, this thread demonstrates my point. They're both amazing genre with amazing qualities, probably my two favorite. The Ergs and Descendents are pop punk Fallout Boy and Panic At the Disco aren't.

/rant

Quote by dannyboy1992
because the same reason people hate guitar hero

guitarists spend a lot of time learning to play better and then something or someone comes along and simplifies it. this then becomes popular and people hate the fact that people are taking short cuts and being better than them

They're not taking short cuts, they're playing what they want to play!!!!!!!!!!

The ignorance in this thread is hilarious.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Last edited by StreetLight3989 at Sep 14, 2008,
two and a half men.