I think Mesa Dual Rectifiers get pigeonholed as "metal" amps way too often. Sure, they do work wonderfully as a metal amp, but there is far more to them than just that. They offer so much control over your tone, with the various switches and knobs, that, with a bit of patience, one can dial in just about any tone desirable.

And that brings me to my point, with a little experimenting one can dial up anything (almost) on a Dual Recto, from jazz, to rock, to extreme metal.

What are your thoughts?
Pretty much. I find them to be a bit more modern voiced for some applications, though.
My thoughts are if I'm not playing metal, I'm definately not buying a Rectifier because I can get a better amp for what I need.

Actually, I'd much rather a Mark IV.
yeah pretty much, i acutally dont like duel rectum friers or roadkings or any of those ones, i find them too over the top with options. i like the duel rectum friers cause who needs more than two channels?
They're nice if you need a versatile amp, but if you're only playing blues or classic rock you could get an amp more oriented towards that genre and probably get a better sound. Some people just don't like the typical recto sound or only like it for metal. It all opinion.

Does this thread have a point or did you just want to say rectos are versatile? No to be a dick, but this seems borderline pointless.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
i actually really like the cleans on the recs too and theyve got one of my favorite metal voices, but i think i prefer peavey xxx over them
Quote by altoidwithmelon
You dont lose your virginity, you voluntarily misplace it.

Quote by Ur all $h1t
You should bottle up all of your emotions till they become a problem that requires professional help.
It's good for the economy.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/rabidpitweasels/
Quote by Kevin Saale
They're nice if you need a versatile amp, but if you're only playing blues or classic rock you could get an amp more oriented towards that genre and probably get a better sound. Some people just don't like the typical recto sound or only like it for metal. It all opinion.

Does this thread have a point or did you just want to say rectos are versatile? No to be a dick, but this seems borderline pointless.

you can actually get a beautiful rock and blues and jazz tone out of them.
just like getting metal tones on them. it takes a while but most jazz and blues and light rock musicans dont like using them cause there hard to dial in a tone thats good. but if you did take the time to dial in the right tone, you would me pretty amazed.
george clinton, parliment and funkedelic (overlord of funk) was using a recto for solos and got a great sound
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
Last edited by Varkunus at Sep 14, 2008,
My thoughts are that Dual rectifiers are imensly overrated amps and sound terrible always.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
Quote by Ubershall404
My thoughts are that Dual rectifiers are imensly overrated amps and sound terrible always.

You own a jcm900. GTFO.

And how could you like the uberschall voicing and not the recto?
Quote by Say Ocean
You own a jcm900. GTFO.

And how could you like the uberschall voicing and not the recto?

Im actually not a fan of the uberschall. I played one a few times and it was very dark and too bassy/boomy.

Seriously though, Im a former dual rec owner myself and i'll never play one again. Very thin and flubby. Complete crap.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
Quote by Ubershall404
Im actually not a fan of the uberschall. I played one a few times and it was very dark and too bassy/boomy.

Seriously though, Im a former dual rec owner myself and i'll never play one again. Very thin and flubby. Complete crap.

Thin? did you have the volume at like 9 oclock??? I couldn't possibly imagine a recto being thin, especially compared to a jcm900?

Did you ever stick a boost in front of it?
Should you really have to after paying that much?
Makes you think...
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
I agree with you, Rectos and Roadkings are much more than metal amps. It just can take a bit longer to get a good tone, but you can do everything with them.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
As a previous owner of the Roadking, Mark IV, and F-100; and have used a few rectos, it really depends when you're talking about rectifiers or which ones specifically as to how good they sound.

The newer solo heads of the dual and triple rectos sound "worse" than the older, 2 channel rectos. They are a bit fizzier, thinner cleans, and the distorted channel has a wierd feel to it, like the notes don't want to cut off when you mute and bleed together.

That being said, the rectos and Mark's are quite versatile. They can go to a jazzy clean to a death metal drive no problem. I thought the Mark IV's had a wierd tone though, very artificial, and extremely similar to a 5150 tone. The Road King on the other hand was phenomenal. Great amp, loved it, but, what I noticed like all mesa's, they're good at everything, but great at nothing.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
The problem with this is like everything else on here, an idea gets blown out of proportion. Just like "we're unsure about Bugera's quality" goes to "Bugeras are terribly unreliable" and "the Mark IV can handle most genres and do them well" goes to "the Mark IV is the godliest most versatile amp", the same happens with the Dual Recto. It's true that the Dual Recto will really only be worth it if you're playing all hard rock and metal or mostly hard rock and metal, but the idea that it's only a metal amp and sucks at everything else is just plain wrong.

Edit: Oh, and another one, opinion coming up. "The 5150/6505 is a great intermediate hard rock/metal amp" to "The 5150/6505 is a professional quality amp". Yes there are pros who use them but by spending more you can do so much better.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Last edited by Sonicxlover at Sep 15, 2008,
Quote by MESAexplorer
Great amp, loved it, but, what I noticed like all mesa's, they're good at everything, but great at nothing.

Yes.
A recto will "do" a jazz tone, but I'd never buy one as a jazz amp. Same with most other non-metal tones.
The only thing they're really bad is a classic rock tone.
The problem I see is that any high-gain amp can be turned down to levels that allow you to play jazz, fusion, rockabilly, classic rock, etc styles. So all the people with those amps are convinced that they're great for all those styles when really they just have a bigger range of distortion than most other amps.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes.
A recto will "do" a jazz tone, but I'd never buy one as a jazz amp. Same with most other non-metal tones.
The only thing they're really bad is a classic rock tone.
The problem I see is that any high-gain amp can be turned down to levels that allow you to play jazz, fusion, rockabilly, classic rock, etc styles. So all the people with those amps are convinced that they're great for all those styles when really they just have a bigger range of distortion than most other amps.

Well, the roadking and roadster can do classic rock pretty well. IMO, the roadking is a better blues amp than a metal amp.

But for the most part yeah, mesa's kinda have a wierd tone when you dial back the gain, it sounds more like you have the gain at max and you roll off the volume knob so it's not any smoother or less distorted, it's just not as saturated.

The F series, Nomad, and Mark 1 and 2 are probably the best amps for lower gain stuff.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by zegreatdane
i actually really like the cleans on the recs too and theyve got one of my favorite metal voices, but i think i prefer peavey xxx over them

I never thought I'd see someone post this, but I totally agree with you.