Page 1 of 2
Well not really, but I'm going to purchase a rather expensive guitar next thursday and I'm fishing for recommendations. I am willing to spend 2000€ and even though I have a pretty long list (see bottom of post) of guitars to try out already, I sure have missed some good ones.
I'm mainly a hard rock player, but I play a very broad spectrum of music, jazz, funk, classical, blues, rock, metal - you name it I play it. But my main focus is hard rock I guess, so it's important that the guitar is capable of doing that well (if it needs a pickup change for that, that's no problem). If it doesn't cover other styles too well, my trusty old Epiphone can do that (thing is a tonal chameleon).
Basically, I'm looking for the guitar with the most beautiful tone, one that is hopefully full of character and inspiring enough to keep me playing through the coming five years of uni. Recommend away! You can go batshit-fucking-loko within those 2000 bucks.

One more thing: I'm not into stuff that looks too metal, active electronics or super-br00tal-ultra-high-output-pickups. I also prefer necks that have some meat on them, Ibanez wizard necks are a tad to thin for me. I like medium to large frets, but not ludicrously fat ones like on most ESP guitars for example. And damn I hate Floyds.

Here is what I have been considering so far:
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Diablo
Gibson LP Standard '08
Gibson LP Traditional
Gibson LP Classic
Framus Camarillo
Framus Diablo Pro
Framus Diablo Custom
Framus Panthera Custom
Framus Panthera Studio Custom
Framus Renegade Pro
Framus Renegade Custom 2
Framus Renegade Custom SE
Framus Hollywood

The last one is only so darn expensive because of the Bigsby, if I ordered one without it, it'd be around 2050€, so it's still an option.

Fender CS Jeff Beck Strat
Fender CS Strat Pro

That's about it. Tell me what you think of these! Also, when recommending something different, keep in mind that not every brand is available here. I hardly have a chance to try out, let's say, Schecter or Washburn guitars.

I am also aware that a nice tube amp will yield bigger tonal improvements, but I have good reasons to stay with my Vox Tonelab and a PA-system for now.

EDIT: About going custom: I've been considering it, but the problem is that you never quiet now what will come out, so I prefer just buying what I can try out at a store. Custom shops outside of Germany are a no-go anyway because I don't want to have to ship a guitar to the US or elsewhere if there are problems with it.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 14, 2008,
Go custom

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by Arkhimedes
go and try each and every one of em out
then decide for yourself

Thats it, i get tired of people asking for advice like this, try out every guitar you can that you think you might like then buy one, what i like and what you like will be different.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Out of those, the LP Classic would be my first choice. Unless you're into the SG shape, in which case I'd go with the SG Standard.

But before any of those, I'd get a Carvin.
Quote by Snapple
Thats it, i get tired of people asking for advice like this, try out every guitar you can that you think you might like then buy one, what i like and what you like will be different.

I certainly will, even if I seem like an idiot, I am not one. I asked for your recommendations, if you don't have any, why bother posting?
well, im a gibson man, and i love my les paul.

i would recommend either an LP or a gibson sg standard; they are quite versatile and they look great as a bonus. if you want to get a heavier sound, just increase the string gauge and detune the guitar. as long as you have a decent amp, you should be very happy with an SG or LP.

i must confess, though, that i havent tried many of the other models you mentioned but you should definitely try out the guitars you are considering, especially if youre going to spend 2 grand.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
try an epi elitist 335 and save some money or go for the gibby
or a gretsch g6119
you can get a cool distorted sound with both, thd gretsch has more twang though
if you want to hear distorted gretsch sound listen to sick sinners on youtube
GUITAR: Gibson Les Paul Special
AMP:Fender Vibro Champ XD
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
USMC
i LOVE my les paul standard, but have u looked into any PRS? i love the tone of them, but i play mostly metal, so i dunno how those would work for you
Quote by ealtdharkon
Sorry to break this to you, but you "hardcore" fans don't HAVE mosh pits.
You have epileptic line dancing.

Quote by NotTheSun3290
Well... I AM a virgin, afterall...
Quote by magvol
i LOVE my les paul standard, but have u looked into any PRS? i love the tone of them, but i play mostly metal, so i dunno how those would work for you

Yeah, I'm considering the Mira, other PRS guitars are out of my price range. Do you have any experience with that one?
for a heavy sound look at an esp viper and esp eclipse
GUITAR: Gibson Les Paul Special
AMP:Fender Vibro Champ XD
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
USMC
Gibson SG3.
It rocks.
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
Quote by TheQuailman
Yeah, I'm considering the Mira, other PRS guitars are out of my price range. Do you have any experience with that one?

only have experience with the PRS custom 24 or sum like that, but that was damn nice to play ^_^

so im sorry i cant help u
Quote by ealtdharkon
Sorry to break this to you, but you "hardcore" fans don't HAVE mosh pits.
You have epileptic line dancing.

Quote by NotTheSun3290
Well... I AM a virgin, afterall...
Give me some of that money and buy yourself a Squier Bullet Strat j/k
Go custom
Or you could even make your own guitar if you have the gear
You've given me too many options! AHH MY HEADS GONNA KERBANG!!

Anyways, I, myself, would get the LP Traditional. I've played one, and it was a really nice guitar to play.

I wouldn't really go custom myself, because I find it a waste of time. If I wanted a custom guitar, I'd make it myself, I mean, all the custom things I've seen are just making a guitar with a limited amount of options.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by edusty2010
Dude with that kind of cash I'd go custom... But if you really don't want to go custom I'd go with the Gibson LP Standard '08.

www.ranguitars.com

But run some specs through there first, you're not very far off from a totally custom guitar...

+1 on Ran Guitars. From what I know about Ran, you could easily get a very nice custom guitar for 2000 euros.

But out of those, I'd say SG Standard. The Diablo is tempting as hell, though.
Quote by Martin Scott
Stay away from the Gibsons. Especially the new '08 Standard LP.

I know you don't like the sound of nowadays Gibsons - wanna give me some details?
With 2000 euros I would convert that to USD and build it myself... you'd get something much higher quality than anything you could buy on the market tailored to your exact desires.

For instance I'd get a flat top, bolt on Les Paul w/ 24 fret neck and HSH configuration. NO ONE makes those, ever.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
LP Classic
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by Whiskky
But out of those, I'd say SG Standard. The Diablo is tempting as hell, though.

Word.

A Parker Fly is a great option as well.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
The Fly is nice, but they easily cost 2.5 here, so it's out of my price range.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys, I really appreciate it. Keep 'em coming.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 14, 2008,
Go custom
I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad, the dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had...
Go custom, I've just placed an order for a custom Les Paul...... I can't wait to get it!!!
check out PRS guitars, some may be out of your price range but theres my suggestion.

Otherwise, Id go for the Les Paul 08 or the traditional.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
I would recommend a Gibson LP Traditional, or a PRS Custom or Standard 22. I myself would get a Gibson because I don't like the neck heel on PRS guitars.
i haven't tried framuses, but out of what i have tried, i'd look into vigier... i've only tried one, but it was really excellent, and not ridiculously expensive as some other equally good guitars (e.g. huber, tyler etc.) can be.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've been trying to track down some Vigiers in Germany, but unfortunately I can't find any.

Has anybody ever tried a Mayones? They are a little more metal than what I usually aim for, but the specs look good otherwise:
http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/EUR/Mayones-Setius-GTM-Baritone-/art-GIT0013247-000
http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/EUR/Mayones-Setius-GTM-Mood-/art-GIT0013246-000
If I was going to spend that much on a guitar there would be no doubt as to what I would be looking for in terms of specs and know exactly without a doubt what I'm gonna buy. Otherwise if you don't know then get something like a Squier and save your money for something else if you know what I mean. Its not like owning a PS3 and wondering which new game you should buy in the video store
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by TheQuailman
I've been trying to track down some Vigiers in Germany, but unfortunately I can't find any.

Has anybody ever tried a Mayones? They are a little more metal than what I usually aim for, but the specs look good otherwise:
http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/EUR/Mayones-Setius-GTM-Baritone-/art-GIT0013247-000
http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/EUR/Mayones-Setius-GTM-Mood-/art-GIT0013246-000

you're bound to be able to find vigiers in germany, they're made in france after all. http://www.vigierguitars.com/html/dist/distrib.htm there's a distributor anyway, you could try emailing them, i guess.

haven't tried mayones, they were reviewed in this month's guitar buyer though and looked quite nice (but obviously i'd need to play one to make any kind of judgement).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i'd have the framus panthera
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
I'd go Framus out of those choices.

And Either the Diablo Custom, Panthera Studio Custom or the Hollywood...I want them all. Not sure how P-90s would hold up for hard rock and metal, so I'd look into the other two first as more of a do it all guitars. Apparently the wiring in the Diablo's allow for a wide arrange of sounds.
Quote by DSOTM80
If I was going to spend that much on a guitar there would be no doubt as to what I would be looking for in terms of specs and know exactly without a doubt what I'm gonna buy. Otherwise if you don't know then get something like a Squier and save your money for something else if you know what I mean. Its not like owning a PS3 and wondering which new game you should buy in the video store

I know what you mean, I re-read my first post and it sounds pretty crazy... but what can I say? There are just too many guitars that I like! My musical interests change so quickly that I barely know what I want. But gladly I'm really picky so I'm bound to get something nice in the end - even though I have no clue what that will be. Might get a banjo or something.

Okay, thanks for the suggestions everybody. Cologne has more than one guitar store so I'll have to find a Parker, Caparison, Vigier and whatnot somewhere.

Thanks for the Link, Dave.

I'll let you guys know what I got at the end of the week. Later.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 15, 2008,
Page 1 of 2