just got an mxr el grande fuzz pedal off ebay....

used it the other night at band practice and wasnt too happ with it. i was looking for more of a tighter fuzz sound, if that makes any sense.... it seems like the notes sound a bit sloppy at times. also it gave a shitload of feedback.

anyone have experience with this pedal? or is there another fuzz you can recommend? or a bass OD or distortion that is good. would like to keep the price around $80 or less.

im looking for something like the intro of hysteria by muse. i know they use a lot of processed sounds so i might not get it with just a pedal.
Quote by dubstar123

im looking for something like the intro of hysteria by muse. i know they use a lot of processed sounds so i might not get it with just a pedal.

yeah unfortunatley thats done with synth. although the pedal below the el grande, the m-181 blowtorch, is rather good for muse stuff and is rarely mentioned. its got a real synthy vibe to it. theres a 10 minute or so demo on youtube that gives you a good idea, the first sound he uses is similar to what i like to use
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
I think Chris used a russian big muff on Hysteria.. Sounds pretty good either way
Quote by Potski
I think Chris used a russian big muff on Hysteria.. Sounds pretty good either way

He uses a Russian Big Muff and an Akai Deep Impact in a biamped rig.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
i really want something to give me a good solid distortion sound. even if its not exact for muse. that was just a reference point. i play mostly heavy rock.... i like the synthier stuff, but not sure how much use i would get out of it with the style i play mostly.

what about the ODB-3? or the digitech bass driver? im using a solid state amp.

anyone had experience with the el grande? seems like it doesnt track too well. and when im playing with guitar you cant even tell the damn thing is turned on.
Are you sure it's not the settings that are your problem? I have an el grande and I find that It sounds best with the tone knob at about three o clock. If you want a tighter sound try using the tone at 3 oclock with the fuzz at like 9. If its still not to your liking try the digitech b ass driver I hear its great for a nice overdrive to a very heavy distortion.
Rickenbacker 4003
Carvin 210 Neo
Ampeg V4BH
You won't be happy with any effect you buy if you don't take the time to get to know it and tweak it to suit you (and tweak your amp EQ etc)
Quote by bluntfoot
Are you sure it's not the settings that are your problem? I have an el grande and I find that It sounds best with the tone knob at about three o clock. If you want a tighter sound try using the tone at 3 oclock with the fuzz at like 9. If its still not to your liking try the digitech b ass driver I hear its great for a nice overdrive to a very heavy distortion.

ill give that a try, i only used it the one time and wasnt too impressed..... i will mess around with it a bit more tuesday at practice. do you have trouble hearing it with guitar and drums? you couldnt tell the difference of it being on or off with guitar and drums over it.
Quote by smb
You won't be happy with any effect you buy if you don't take the time to get to know it and tweak it to suit you (and tweak your amp EQ etc)

this.

i hated my odb-3 the first few days i had it, but now i can get some pretty good tones from it. i have little girl by dfa almost exactly haha
the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
It all depends on how much distortion or fuzz your guitarist uses when you use the pedal. If has it on then your two distorted signals kind of mix and it just sounds like a mash of fuzz. Also check your EQing if your mids are scooped you'll be screwed.
Rickenbacker 4003
Carvin 210 Neo
Ampeg V4BH
Quote by bluntfoot
It all depends on how much distortion or fuzz your guitarist uses when you use the pedal. If has it on then your two distorted signals kind of mix and it just sounds like a mash of fuzz. Also check your EQing if your mids are scooped you'll be screwed.

good point on them both mixing

as far as the EQ on the amp, i havent quite gotten it the way i want it. ive only been playing bass now for weeks(6 times total with the band) after playing guitar for many years.

its a graphic EQ, you have any recommendations on settings for playing hard rock? once i get around the 9th - 13th fret on the A string things sound louder or punchier than other notes. havent figured out how to curb that.
Big Bass Muff, they're cheap, have lots of room for adjustment and aren't too hard to find (if you know where to look.)
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Quote by smb

+1. It took me a few hours of trial and error to figure out how to make a Morley PWB not sound like ass when used with bass, and all I had to work with was the one gain knob on the morley and the 3 band eqs on my bass and amp. But after a lot of fiddling, it sounds great. Just give it some time
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
I'm looking at getting a Russian Big Muff,
anyone know where i could get one in UK? been looking about but have no luck. I live in Manchester and none of the surrounding guitar shops stock it.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean V Dave Mustaine
VOX VT15
ESP LTD B-50
Peavey MicroBass 20w
Quote by Edgey_15
I'm looking at getting a Russian Big Muff,
anyone know where i could get one in UK? been looking about but have no luck. I live in Manchester and none of the surrounding guitar shops stock it.

I would advise against getting one, because they do cut the low end enough that with it engaged, a bass will drop out of the mix unless you are playing right at the top of the basses register.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
its rare-ish now, ebay is only option pretty much
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
The PMT website used to stock russain muffs, and may still do, if so, it comes in a cool wooden box, a word or two of caution however, mine arrived broken (the curcuitry in bits), which was not good on christmas day with all your family around and when depressed...was a VERY bad day, and it does suck low end, however PMT swapped it, no hassle for a boss ODB-3, which was a much better day than that christmas day

but why not get a bass big muff, its new, shiny, green and has much better low end
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by skippy_moogoose

but why not get a bass big muff, its new, shiny, green and has much better low end

it does have all those things, unfortunately its not that great
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by CaptainJack666
it does have all those things, unfortunately its not that great

Exactly. When I played through my guitar player's muff once, the lack of low end didn't bother me (though I didn't play it in a band). It just didn't sound good. I assume they kept the circuitry the same, just increased the bass, which still won't sound good.
Quote by IndianRockStar
Exactly. When I played through my guitar player's muff once, the lack of low end didn't bother me (though I didn't play it in a band). It just didn't sound good. I assume they kept the circuitry the same, just increased the bass, which still won't sound good.

compared to a big muff its infinately better, but ive plaed with the likes of mxr blowtorches and zvex woolly mammoths and it just doesnt compare in quality
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Hmm, I’m unsure on whether to go for a Russian Big Muff now, as thinking about it, as i play bass I wouldn’t want to loose the low end but i want a fuzz similar to what is used in hysteria by muse, could I get this effect with a bass big muff which keeps the low end better than the russian? I’m also assuming they are both around the same price range
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean V Dave Mustaine
VOX VT15
ESP LTD B-50
Peavey MicroBass 20w
Quote by Edgey_15
Hmm, I’m unsure on whether to go for a Russian Big Muff now, as thinking about it, as i play bass I wouldn’t want to loose the low end but i want a fuzz similar to what is used in hysteria by muse, could I get this effect with a bass big muff which keeps the low end better than the russian? I’m also assuming they are both around the same price range

ive said this a few times, hope im spreading the word. the closest ive come to muse with a single effect is a little mentioned pedal called the mxr blowtorch, becoz of its synthy background tone. theres a 10 min or so demo on youtube of it, check it out
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by forstringwonder
this.

i hated my odb-3 the first few days i had it, but now i can get some pretty good tones from it. i have little girl by dfa almost exactly haha

This is almost EXACTLY what I was going to say.

Quote SMB, say I agree with him, and then use my ODB-3 as an both an example and to answer his question about the ODB-3. Just sans the DFA. For the record, I LOVE the ODB-3.

Forstringwonder, you have fulfilled everything I have taught you and more. There is no more reason for me to stay here now. Here, take this torch. [heads off to Olympus]
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.