Hi, I know hardly anything about how electric guitars work. I got a Hagstrom Swede and it's been bothering me because the volume knobs are terrible. 0 is no volume, 3 is max volume, and everything between 3 and 10 on the knob are all the same.

What can I do to improve the volume pot so that the volume changes more accordingly to how far i turn the knob? Do I have to buy new parts and will I need tools to do it?

I'm really a beginner completely, so please try to make answers as simple as possible!
You'll probably need new pots. I'm fairly certain that those aren't going to be adjustable. I'm not sure what k pots you'll need, somebody else might. But you'll need a soldering gun and a basic understanding of how to do it. Chances are, you're better off paying somebody to do it, and watching, so that you'll know how to do it next time.

EDIT: you need 500K pots. Where do you live?
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Last edited by theoreticmusic at Sep 14, 2008,
ok thanks for your advice. I'll probably bring it to a repair shop.
oh wow, those are cheaper than i expected. how much is a soldering gun?
Also is this problem almost definitely related to the pots or is there a chance that i could do this and it wouldnt fix it
^ like $10 or maybe a little more. and you'll need rosin-core electrical solder, which is like $2.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
so in brief if i were to attempt this myself i would have to
1: Buy a soldering gun, rosin-core solder, and the new pots
2: Remove the old pots from my guitar (do i snip the wire or rip it off?)
3: Put in the new pot and solder each wire onto the same place they were on on the old pot
exaclty, except use the soldering gun to loosen the solder and the remove the wires, dont rip them or cut them off.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
ok thanks everyone, i think i might try this. it sounds like if i screw up it can be easily fixed
^unless u manage to destroy the wires, yeah screw-ups can be fixed. except burning urself with the soldering gun. that one u have to deal with if u burn urself....
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
ALSO - will changing the pots definitely fix this problem or oculd it be something else with the guitar?
Quote by russt17
ALSO - will changing the pots definitely fix this problem or oculd it be something else with the guitar?

a decent quality 500K pot SHOULD solve the problem

also, just a tip i picked up with pots, if ever the pot is acting in reverse (ie going down in volume when it should be going up) it means you mixed up the outer two terminals, so just switch them and you'll be fine.

random tip
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Ok, and thanks for the tip, I kind of experienced that today. I unscrewed one of the pots just to take a look at the front side, and then screwed it back in. When I plugged my guitar in no sound came out! Then I toggled the pickup selector and it came out, and the volume knob was working backwards. I reopened the guitar and found that an uninsulated wire was touching a bit of metal it wasn't supposed to and i fixed the problem and it all worked.
Anyway the Hagstrom Swede has complicated wiring, it has a pickup selector with three options, a polarity selector with three options, 2 volume knobs, and 2 tone knobs. Each pot has about 8 wires attached to it. After my scare today I'm not sure I'm going to do this. Also I've never worked with a soldering gun, but I watched a tutorial on youtube.
Quote by russt17
Hi, I know hardly anything about how electric guitars work. I got a Hagstrom Swede and it's been bothering me because the volume knobs are terrible. 0 is no volume, 3 is max volume, and everything between 3 and 10 on the knob are all the same.

What can I do to improve the volume pot so that the volume changes more accordingly to how far i turn the knob? Do I have to buy new parts and will I need tools to do it?

I'm really a beginner completely, so please try to make answers as simple as possible!

Is this an original run or newer reissue Swede? Did you buy it new or used? Blem or Factory 2nd? I have a few original and reissues "08' Select Super Swede" is my latest and don't have the same unresponsive Volume Pot issues you seem to be? Anyway good luck.
I got it at the start of 2007, it's a regular swede new. I've decided not to replace the pots because im inexperienced with working on guitars, and it might change the nice tone of the guitar. It just sucks adjusting my volume midsong because the range on the guitar isnt that good and it changes from quiet to loud very suddenly at about 4 or 5 on the dial.
How's the select super swede i've never heard one?
^hes changin pots cause their borken, not for tone. reap the OP.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
^ah...didnt catch that...but why not replace broken pots, even if they would change tone???

and for the record, only changin the pot values will change tone...if he uses 500k, it will be the same....so basically, yeah ur right....
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking