Okay, so this thread will be a "work in progress" for quite awhile. Anywho, I picked up a really cheap strat copy on Craigslist and want to use this opportunity to make it a really awesome beast (isn't that what everyone wants?). Anywho, here is what we are currently working with. I just took this picture and as we speak im getting ready to take the hardware/electronics out and get to sanding the paint.

I have been thinking for at least a week about what kind of paint I want to put on it. I thought lime green/blue but nothing really just stuck in my mind. Finally, it hit me....one of my good girl friends is an art student, so im giving it to her to paint something contemporary on it and to make it truly one of a kind.

Heres what we've got right now.

I want to put a new tremelo on it, probably try to find a washburn "wonder bar" so I don't have to do any routing. Any other good tremelos that I don't have to rout?

As far as pickups, i'm looking at a pair of Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates.....any tips/help is appreciated.
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
Last edited by Paith at Sep 25, 2008,
whats a super vee?
Guitars
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
I had one of my friends who's an art student do the pickguard on my Gibson SG. She put my initials on it and did some work around the pickups.

-Rudy

Quote by blackthought
Sometimes it's best to prepare for the worst possible eventuality... sex with Bill Murray.
Quote by DukeDeRox
I'm as shallow as a dry lake bed.
the pearly gates are amazing pups.

and as far as trems, look for wilkenson (sp?) trems...there great replacements for the standard strat trem...also look at new tuners, and ur set.

EDIT: @therudycometh: is that an sg faded with EMG's???? nice
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by munkyRobb
EVH much?

I paid $45 for the guitar......AND it works!!!
Guitars
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
Quote by Paith
whats a super vee?

Google it. It's vibrato that you don't need to route for.
Quote by MoleMania
Google it. It's vibrato that you don't need to route for.

awesome....I like that....I didn't see on there, but its floating right?
Guitars
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
Quote by Paith
awesome....I like that....I didn't see on there, but its floating right?

Yes I beleive you can set it to floating or flat.
get a vintage style wilkinson, i love mine, lovely fat block too, better than a fender IMO
GEAR

customised westfield strat soon to be HH
MIJ 68'reissue strat from 1996

bunch of boss pedals
btw, i'm going to lose the two single coils and just add one extra humbucker. Nothing I play uses singles.

Or do you think its better to have the versatility of having both since 90% of the time I use the bridge anyway?
Guitars
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
Updates: The guitar is all primed and I just got it finished painted. Clearcoating here in about 10 minutes.....it looks freaking amazing. Don't want to spoil what it looks like, but i'll have some pics very soon. Ill post the primered pictures in a second. Time to order the FR
Guitars
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
UPDATES WITH PICS

Okay, so here are the primered pictures!!

now if you notice, i didn't sand all the paint off underneath.....I wanted it like this because those white strips are at a slightly different height and this would provide the new paint with some awesome looks!!

So I spent forever trying to decide on what to paint it......I mean forever. First it was EVH, then I changed, then back to EVH, and changed, and finally decided on EVH.....then I said I want something more my own.....so I bought some of that paint that changes colors!!

I had trouble getting the photos right and my camera died....so its charging, but it goes from a deep purple, to a dark blue, to red......it looks amazing in my opinon. Then i'll strap a chrome tremelo (FR or might just go american strat one and be done with it) throw in some pups, and im going to do a white tortoise shell pickguard and i have some orange/yellow reflectors to stick on the back!! I can't wait to get some more updates, im really excited about it.
Guitars
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
chameleon paint? sexy.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
So while i'm waiting for my FR to come in (monday!!!), I went ahead and added some effects to the back. I really like the look of these!

but then I wanted more.........but what else? So as I was browsing through a store, I found these awesome concave mirrors, and thought, what the hell, so I added them too.

So thats the current state, as soon as the floyd gets here, i'll update pics showing my routering work and various comments on the installation.
Guitars
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
I really need to find a way to capture the paint, seeing it change colors is awesome.
Guitars
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
The floyd has arrived. Routing will start tomorrow morning. I'm being honest, it doesn't look that complicated, the nut is going to be my only issue. I also forgot (im an idiot) to order a retainer bar, so i've got to pick one of those up. I'm goign to post a lot of pictures and ways im doing the FR install, as i'm sure alot of you will want to see if its too difficult. new pics coming soon!!
Guitars
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
Are you seriously leaving those mirrors and reflectors on it?

and why didnt you wait to route it before applying the finish?

chameleon paint is awesome though, hope you can get some good pics.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
hell yes the reflectors and mirrors are staying. They are special mirrors, they're angled so nothing looks normal....the reflectors on the paint are perfect.

As to why i didn't route before I did the finish.......there are some things you don't think about ahead of time....that was one of them! Hopefully though, it'll be ok, i'm going to mask the area, and am pretty talented with a router.

will try to get some better pics in sunlight tomorrow.
Guitars
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
Well, in my opinion that bicycle and funhouse shit ruins it, but hey, at least you can scare children, and be visible while gigging in the dark.

Anyway good luck man.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
ive played some venues with some pretty awesome lights, thats why I really wanted it. This guitar is a reflection of my personality....never the same. The colors change just like moods, its got a chrome FR (flashy), and it kicks ass, the reflectors/mirrors are there as a surprise, as to not something you'd have everyday, which is what i show in my guitar playing.....I try to make each song unique, not different, just I play a solo with some extra, or give a little tremelo, perhaps as little as a fill. I am doing this guitar, the way I want to have the guitar. Its built to suit me, not steve vai, SRV, or Joe Perry. This is my signature guitar, built the way I enjoy it. My pups, my settings and everything.....

I know the reflectors/mirrors aren't for everyone, but its just something that makes it different.
Guitars
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
a pickguard made out of a reflector would be pretty awesome. it'd be a bit thick too but awesome nonetheless.
have you thought about a HSH pup configuration?
Quote by RU Experienced?
See the FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU- thread, he's a God amongst men.

^^ about me

Confucius once say: "Women is like jazz music, 3/4 jazz time, 1/4 ragtime."

This is my sig, get over it. ಠ_ಠ
i was going to do HH, but is there a good reason as to why I should do HSH?? Let me hear!!
Guitars
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
so you can put a series of push pull pots and mini toggles into it and make it so confusing that you'll only use the neck and bridge humbuckers but still have bragging rights of 1432189714321741289 sound configurations
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology