Page 1 of 2
I am debating between getting a MacBook with nice stuff for around $1,300. (4gb ram, 160 hard drive.)
Or a MacBook Pro for around $2,000. (4gb ram, 250 hard drive, and better processing speed.)

Should I get the Pro and spend all of my $2,000, or the standard and use the rest for a Fender Strat. Essentially, I am wondering if the MacBook Pro is actually $700 better than the standard MacBook.

Advise me pit monkeys.
Don't try engaging me
The vaguest of shrugs
The prescription drugs
You'll never find
A person inside

Quote by saphrax
I agree with This End Up
My personal advice from experience? Or advice you'll want to hear?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
My personal advice from experience? Or advice you'll want to hear?

Experience...
Don't try engaging me
The vaguest of shrugs
The prescription drugs
You'll never find
A person inside

Quote by saphrax
I agree with This End Up
Quote by Rocking-Rob
Get an actual laptop

or a desktop, unless you really want to lug a laptop to lectures.

Either way, I am getting an "actual laptop"...
Don't try engaging me
The vaguest of shrugs
The prescription drugs
You'll never find
A person inside

Quote by saphrax
I agree with This End Up
first off, good choice with going with Macs, they are AWESOME!!!!!!!! How concerned are you about screen size because the MacBook is a really nice buy and i know ALOT of people with it. They love it, yes the screen might be small but the picture and quality of it is extremely nice. Personally I would go with the MacBook and get a new guitar, kill two birds with one stone!!!
I got a 2.4, 2gb ram macbook, and it runs quickly. I wouldn't bother with the pro and buy the fender.

I'm typing on it right now in fact xD
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Hard drive space really isn't a factor when purchasing a computer anymore. 160GB will be sufficient to what a student needs.

Do you happen to know the processor speeds for each?
Quote by Grundy0
Never forget what really matters in life, friends and family.
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
macs kick aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by RizzoWashburn
Oh, and this is the internet. I have the right to be a douchebag. Fuck off.
Okay.
If you're going to NEED it in lectures and at college, then go portable. If you don't really NEED it there, a desktop would be far superior.
If you decide you do need a laptop, go for a laptop, rather than a MacBook. This is going to spark off a debate because of the way techies think, but for the same amount of money you can get a far superior windows machine. The best thing that happened to MacBooks imo is the ability to install windows on them.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by americablanco
Hard drive space really isn't a factor when purchasing a computer anymore. 160GB will be sufficient to what a student needs.

Do you happen to know the processor speeds for each?

MacBook - 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
MacBook Pro - 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Don't try engaging me
The vaguest of shrugs
The prescription drugs
You'll never find
A person inside

Quote by saphrax
I agree with This End Up
Get a norm. macbook
and spend rest on fender strat
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
Quote by This End Up
MacBook - 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
MacBook Pro - 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

You're kidding! Get the MacBook and not the Pro.
Quote by Grundy0
Never forget what really matters in life, friends and family.
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
Apple is supposed to be refreshing their line in either October or January. You might want to wait it our a bit.
But if you need it now, then i recommend the 1,500 black MacBook. It's what I have and it's amazing.
Removed because of damn rules.. >_>
it really depends on your major. a mac would suck for me because im in an IT school and i need to run alot of programs that arent supported on a mac. plus you get a better bang for your buck for a windows laptop; my dell laptop was 900 and i found a code online that reduced it by 200, so i paid 700 and my laptop is stronger then yours. not trying to convince you to change, but its something to think about.
2/17/08 Kosova's independence!!!
Quote by zbest
it really depends on your major. a mac would suck for me because im in an IT school and i need to run alot of programs that arent supported on a mac. plus you get a better bang for your buck for a windows laptop; my dell laptop was 900 and i found a code online that reduced it by 200, so i paid 700 and my laptop is stronger then yours. not trying to convince you to change, but its something to think about.

Music major.
Don't try engaging me
The vaguest of shrugs
The prescription drugs
You'll never find
A person inside

Quote by saphrax
I agree with This End Up
Professionnal uses = Macbook Pro.

I'm using the Pro right now, if you plan on using professionnal recording/mixing tools, get the Pro.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Apparently you're set on a MacBook of some sort, so I won't start off on a Pro-Windows rant.

Between the 2, I would personally go with the less expensive one and buy the guitar. The processing speed difference isn't much of anything, and as a music major you will be fine with the 2.4GHz. 160GB should be more than enough for movies and music. Plus, new effing guitar!
What do you need it for? Just general word processing?

If you need special software, try and find out what it is and see if you need Windows or Mac to run the software.

As for the MacBook vs. MacBook Pro, I'd say MacBook and the strat. The MacBook doesn't seem to be worth $700 more than the MacBook
Do NOT get a macbook or macbook pro. They are horrible laptops. If you decide you absolutely must get one, get the macbook, not the pro. If you get the pro you might as well just set fire to a pile of money.
The Kovenant of Terror, Marshal of the Legion of Metal.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)
Br00tal, Terror Kovenant=metal's king

Quote by Yngwi3
If you decide you do need a laptop, go for a laptop, rather than a MacBook.

Unless you feel like overpaying for the "bicycle with training wheels" of computers.
fck.
Pros are not worth the $700 extra. For $700 you get:

-Backlit keyboard
- .1 ghz faster processor
-Gloss screen option
-Bigger Screen
-Better video card

Not worth it. I'm happy with my Blackbook.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Quote by Funkbass796
Pros are not worth the $700 extra. For $700 you get:

-Backlit keyboard
- .1 ghz faster processor
-Gloss screen option
-Bigger Screen
-Better video card

Not worth it. I'm happy with my Blackbook.

Plus:

- Firewire 800 port
- Option of a 7,200rpm HDD

Both useful in recording.
Quote by Terror Kovenant
Do NOT get a macbook or macbook pro. They are horrible laptops. If you decide you absolutely must get one, get the macbook, not the pro. If you get the pro you might as well just set fire to a pile of money.

You are misinformed.
www.youtube.com/jordan123x
Quote by zbest

You can install Windows on Macbooks. I know because I'm sat with it next to me with it on, with Win XP media centre running =D

My 2.4GHz 2GB RAM Macbook Running WinXP SP3.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Last edited by druggietoad2k5 at Sep 15, 2008,
The Pros have a video card...the plain-old macbook doesn't...its just shared memory.
my macbook could barely run WoW on the lowest settings and resolution.
Looking back I wish I got the Pro...bigger screen and better sounding speakers also.
Quote by JordantheAxe
You are misinformed.

Not at all. I've used Macbooks and Macbook Pros extensively in college because all the Tech classes use them. I have also used a variety of PC laptops including Gateways, Lenovos, Toshibas, HPs, and a Clevo. The Macbooks were garbage in everyway. They are like using training wheels on a bicycle with your dad pushing you because you're too afraid to do something on your own. a PC is like using a sports motorcycle. Sure you might wreck it and destroy things if you're not careful, but you're able to do more and see more with it.

The macbooks are overpriced, underpowered, less customizable, have weak storage, and are very limited. A Clevo on the other hand.... now those are the king of laptops.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)

Quote by Terror Kovenant
Not at all. I've used Macbooks and Macbook Pros extensively in college because all the Tech classes use them. I have also used a variety of PC laptops including Gateways, Lenovos, Toshibas, HPs, and a Clevo. The Macbooks were garbage in everyway. They are like using training wheels on a bicycle with your dad pushing you because you're too afraid to do something on your own. a PC is like using a sports motorcycle. Sure you might wreck it and destroy things if you're not careful, but you're able to do more and see more with it.

The macbooks are overpriced, underpowered, less customizable, have weak storage, and are very limited. A Clevo on the other hand.... now those are the king of laptops.

wtf kind of tech classes use macs exclusively
Quote by seljer
wtf kind of tech classes use macs exclusively

Let me rephrase and be clear, I just realized that tech is a very general term. All the computer tech classes at my school used macs exclusively. anything involving IT, programming, CS, etc. all mac.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)

Quote by Terror Kovenant
Let me rephrase and be clear, I just realized that tech is a very general term. All the computer tech classes at my school used macs exclusively. anything involving IT, programming, CS, etc. all mac.

yeah, thats exactly what made me go wtf

we've got more or less PCs everywhere with the curriculum covering both Linux and Windows stuff
I went through this last year. I ended up bying a Macbook but with I had of gone Macbook Pro because of the better video card. (the macbooks don't have much in terms of video cards and u can't really throw one in there like a pc). Just my two cents.

I have ALL the XPS accessories...Screwdrivers, poster, beanie hat, Turtle Beach Earforce headphones etc... but I don't have an XPS
RULE BRITANNIA
Page 1 of 2