Poll: Which word is of a greater value?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which word is of a greater value?
Gigantuan
51 31%
Gargantuan
111 69%
Voters: 162.
Page 1 of 2
Okay, so me and my friend, whom I shall refer to as 'Idiot', have had this stupid argument going for a couple months now, and neither of us will sway. So I come to you peeps to settle it. Prepare yourselves, it's a really stupid argument.

I suppose I won't say which side either of us are on, because I know The Pit loves me and will just choose my side. Okay, so here we go:

The Question

We have three words:
1. Gigantic
2. Gargantuan
3. Gigantuan

Now obviously we arrive at 'gigantuan' by combining 'gigantic' and 'gargantuan' into one word. It is generally agreed that 'gargantuan' is a larger "value" than 'gigantic'. For example, if I had a gargantuan amount of tomatoes, and my friend had a gigantic amount of tomatoes, I would therefore have more tomatoes. Okay, now here is where the debate gets sticky: Is 'gigantuan' of a higher amount than 'gargantuan' ?

Side #1

It is argued that 'gigantuan' is of a larger value than 'gargantuan' because it retains the essence (key word) of both 'gargantuan' and 'gigantic'. It is like a spork...it has the best qualities of both a spoon and a fork, while being exponentially greater than just a spoon or a fork. So although both words are not visible, they are still there in essence, thus making gigantuan a greater value.

Gigantic < Gargantuan < Gigantuan

Side #2

It is argued that 'gigantuan' is not of a larger value than 'gargantuan'. There is a mathematical "proof" for this: let's give pretend numerical values for two of the words. Gargantuan is worth 2 points, and gigantic is worth 1 point. Because the words are combined into one word, it is argued that we are cutting each word in half, and sticking them together. So half of gargantuan is 1 point, and half of gigantic is 0.5 points, so gigantuan would be worth 1.5 points, therefore making its value between gigantic and gargantuan.

Gigantic < Gigantuan < Gargantuan

So, Pit, what is it? Side #1 or side #2?
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
seeing as this is the pit, I'm waiting for someone to make a joke about how big their penis is

edit: yo momma so fat jokes also apply
Last edited by seljer at Sep 14, 2008,
Gigantuan is a cool word
Quote by Rhythm__Guitar
You and your freind need to get laid.

... You took the words right out of my mouth, ooooh...
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Gigantuan is not a real word, therefore it is eliminated. Gigantic and gargantuan are words used to describe a large amount of something, but they do not have a definite value, so this argument can not be won or lost. Happy?
Quote by Rhythm__Guitar
You and your freind need to get laid.

+1

And I say side #2
My name is Danny. Call me that.
gargantuan, but ginormous is bigger
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
Quote by GiantRaven
'Nothing can be larger than something that is gigantuan.'

Well I think that settles it pretty well

Haha well perhaps. But that is just one person's definition.
Quote by GiantRaven
'Nothing can be larger than something that is gigantuan.'

Well I think that settles it pretty well

....thats not what I heard about your mother

couldn't resist
None of the words has a quanitfiable value and gigantuan isn't even a word, but technically it should be bigger because it's an amalgamation of two really big things. Also, Gigantuan sounds like a killer robot that's trying to destroy the universe.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
My English Professors post on Urban Dictionary all the time.
Patrick Star of The Jelly fishing Club PM darkstar2644 to Join
why does it matter?
you realise you have just wasted some of my valuable thinking power. and for that i dont like you
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
Quote by elliott FTW
why does it matter?
you realise you have just wasted some of my valuable thinking power. and for that i dont like you

Well, it matters because we were both drunk and somehow came to this subject, and now neither of us will back down.
Gigantuan isn't a ****ing word.

You're both dumb.

No, don't reference me to urban goddamn dictionary. No factual basis whatsoever is needed on that site for anything. "Gigantuan" doesn't appear in Webster.

/argument

/thread

Also sorry for sounding like a dick. Bad mood.
Quote by Th6r6a6sH
The Pit is a reliable source of information
Quote by imdeth
My penis is tough. My penis is elite.
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
I like Luigi.

His cock is maximum.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

OPETH RULES.

Member of Åkerfeldtism

My last.fm
Quote by seljer
seeing as this is the pit, I'm waiting for someone to make a joke about how big their penis is

edit: yo momma so fat jokes also apply

Gigantuan you say? Hmm well if i had a dollar for every time I have heard that as an adjective......

Better?
Quote by ACG
Haha well perhaps. But that is just one person's definition.

If there is only one person's definition then that limits the room for education and fairness in this debate. Thus, the opponent is untopical and therefore loses the debate!
Quote by uberphreak

You're both dumb.

No, don't reference me to urban goddamn dictionary. No factual basis whatsoever is needed on that site for anything. "Gigantuan" doesn't appear in Webster.

/argument

/thread

Well, what makes a word a word? I think it's silly to think that just because a word doesn't appear in Webster it's just considered not a word. Gigantuan is simply a word not recognized by many people, but is still a word.

Word: "A sound or a combination of sounds, or its representation in writing or printing, that symbolizes and communicates a meaning and may consist of a single morpheme or of a combination of morphemes."
Quote by ACG
Okay, so me and my friend, whom I shall refer to as 'Idiot', have had this stupid argument going for a couple months now, and neither of us will sway. So I come to you peeps to settle it. Prepare yourselves, it's a really stupid argument.

I suppose I won't say which side either of us are on, because I know The Pit loves me and will just choose my side. Okay, so here we go:

The Question

We have three words:
1. Gigantic
2. Gargantuan
3. Gigantuan

Now obviously we arrive at 'gigantuan' by combining 'gigantic' and 'gargantuan' into one word. It is generally agreed that 'gargantuan' is a larger "value" than 'gigantic'. For example, if I had a gargantuan amount of tomatoes, and my friend had a gigantic amount of tomatoes, I would therefore have more tomatoes. Okay, now here is where the debate gets sticky: Is 'gigantuan' of a higher amount than 'gargantuan' ?

Side #1

It is argued that 'gigantuan' is of a larger value than 'gargantuan' because it retains the essence (key word) of both 'gargantuan' and 'gigantic'. It is like a spork...it has the best qualities of both a spoon and a fork, while being exponentially greater than just a spoon or a fork. So although both words are not visible, they are still there in essence, thus making gigantuan a greater value.

Gigantic < Gargantuan < Gigantuan

Side #2

It is argued that 'gigantuan' is not of a larger value than 'gargantuan'. There is a mathematical "proof" for this: let's give pretend numerical values for two of the words. Gargantuan is worth 2 points, and gigantic is worth 1 point. Because the words are combined into one word, it is argued that we are cutting each word in half, and sticking them together. So half of gargantuan is 1 point, and half of gigantic is 0.5 points, so gigantuan would be worth 1.5 points, therefore making its value between gigantic and gargantuan.

Gigantic < Gigantuan < Gargantuan

So, Pit, what is it? Side #1 or side #2?

Foon > Spork.
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
I forgot a lot of words, but that's not the point
im going with #2.
Heres something else to think about:
gigantic<gigantuan<gargantic<gargantuan
gigantic<gargantic<gigantuan<gargantuan
(this goes by arguement 2)

Edit: dammit beaten to it
Is your name Mike? Do you want to be everyone's friend? Do you look similar to lots of other people? If so click here

Quote by LesPaulLeader08

Fucking win S&R!
Pft, c'mon, obviously the correct answer is #1. Damn you Pit =(
I wanna see what the night crew has to say :|
Quote by ACG

Urban Dictionary makes something a real word?

You just blew my ****ING mind.

Quote by uberphreak

You're both dumb.

/argument

/thread

Don't worry, I sound like I dick when I'm right, too.

Quote by ACG
I think it's silly to think that just because a word doesn't appear in Webster it's just considered not a word.

I think it's silly not to since that's what makes it a word.

Quote by ACG
Gigantuan is simply a word not recognized by many people, but is still a word.

Word: "A sound or a combination of sounds, or its representation in writing or printing, that symbolizes and communicates a meaning and may consist of a single morpheme or of a combination of morphemes."

You're right, most gibberish and made-up nonsense ISN'T recognized by many people.

All right, so, following your dumbass logic, from now on, zxlgbashpghbads4kjgbdsahg is a word because it's a combination of sounds. I'm going to throw this soda can against the wall and the combination of sounds it makes is now a word. Nevermind that "morpheme" implies "meaningful," and neither those random sounds nor "gigantuan" have any meaning. The sound my cat makes when he's licking his own ass is now a word.

Quote by nightraven
gargantuan sounds more like a word.

"Gargantuan" IS a word. What's funny is I highlighted these quotes to copy them and spell check came up like "did you mean 'gargantuan?'"
You're*
Last edited by Survivalism at Sep 14, 2008,
Page 1 of 2