Page 1 of 2
So I've pretty much decided between two amps. The VK 112 and a used 5150, probably gonna come from ebay. With the VK I could get an OD and an EQ pedal, both of which could be used in the future. With the 5150 I pretty much won't have any money left for anything else. And I can only try out a 6505 so it wouldn't be completely the same, but I could get the VK and stuff locally. I'm also gonna try out the Bugera 6260 sometime as well.

Used for?- Thrash, Classic Rock, some Metalcore
Where?- Bedroom. Can turn it up on weekends though
Budget?- 600$ MAX
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
Ok i have a vk 212, basically same thing sept louder so can tell you what its like,
Good amp with a reasonable sound sturdy as ****. you can get a really good classic rock sound but thrash and metalcore you aint a chance, i use a pedal for most time im playing with it cus its got a decent tone ( if you can use the controls) for blue, rock, and the cleans okay, but nothing amazing.

If you get a decent pedal though that works with that amp it does sound very good for the metal kind of stuff and my 212 is more than loud enough to gig with ( as i have) and i would imagine the 112 wouldnt be too much less in wattage.

that being said the 5150 would be from what ive heard of them live a very good amp for thrash and metal without needing extras if it is a decent condition one.

So really its up too you, but just warning you if you dont have a decent pedal with it, the vk will never do metal or thrash justice in my opinion, but with a pedal will sound gold.

Hope that helps somewhat, though im probs rambling on now.

Personally id go with the 5150 just cus if there your main styles it should suit straight up.
Peavey 5150 or a Bugera 6XXX all the way. A valveking is a total waste of money IMHO. You'd be better off with a Peavey Classic even. You'll just end up upgrading it in the future anyway. So why not just do it better the first time?
1. Used 5150
2. Bugera
For those styles, you'd be better off with a JCM800 or a clone.
Quote by imgooley
For those styles, you'd be better off with a JCM800 or a clone.

You cannot use a Marshall in a bedroom. Well, let me say you CAN, but it's silly. A Marshall doesn't start to really come alive unless you can crank the master volume to 11 or 12 o'clock. You'd need an attenuator for SURE. Those are like $300 dollars alone. He only has $600.
5150 any day

decent amp in the first place>turd polishing

you can get an EQ/reverb in the future and itll sound better than the VK

^ thats true of all valve amps, and all the ones being discussed in this thread are >50w anyway
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Last edited by stevo_epi_SG_wo at Sep 14, 2008,
Quote by TheEsupremacy
You cannot use a Marshall in a bedroom. Well, let me say you CAN, but it's silly. A Marshall doesn't start to really come alive unless you can crank the master volume to 11 or 12 o'clock. You'd need an attenuator for SURE. Those are like $300 dollars alone. He only has $600.

On that same hand, a 5150 doesn't sound great at bedroom levels and a VK won't get to thrash or metalcore at what I'd call bedroom levels
Quote by TheEsupremacy

And with that we look at the amps he is considering- a 100w 2x12 and 2 120w-ers.

You can get a Windsor Studio and a boost, or a Windsor 1/2stack and be good. Classic rock on a Bugera or a 5150 makes me want to cry.
Quote by guitar/bass76
On that same hand, a 5150 doesn't sound great at bedroom levels and a VK won't get to thrash or metalcore at what I'd call bedroom levels

WRONG. I have a 6505 combo. With a tube change, a boost, and new speakers I get SOLID non fizzed out tones at volume 1. Sound great at bedroom levels. Sounds even better loud, yes, or course. Marshalls are different, it's not about the wattage at all. It's about how they are built. I'll get a PRO to come in here and tell you the same thing I did. Marshalls MUST be cranked to get them to "do what they do". MORE SO than a LOT of other vavle amps. It's just a fact. Try it out sometime and come back and post when you HEAR what I'm talking about. I won't disagree with what you said about valvekings.
Quote by imgooley
And with that we look at the amps he is considering- a 100w 2x12 and 2 120w-ers.

You can get a Windsor Studio and a boost, or a Windsor 1/2stack and be good. Classic rock on a Bugera or a 5150 makes me want to cry.

A Windsor half stack is a great idea. Get a nice and dirty overdrive to go with it and it's only about $100 or so (maybe 200) over his budget. That would be worth saving for though. I actually like Windsors. They sound nice and Marshall like at a much lower volume.
Quote by TheEsupremacy
A Windsor half stack is a great idea. Get a nice and dirty overdrive to go with it and it's only about $100 or so (maybe 200) over his budget. That would be worth saving for though. I actually like Windsors. They sound nice and Marshall like at a much lower volume.

Yes

That was actually what I had in mind when I said JCM.
imo

used 5150/6505 is prolly best bet.
VK can do thrash at lower volumes with an OD.
VK owners that have swapped their speaker say it is a 10 fold upgrade.
There seem to be more construction issues in the Bugera thread then the VK thread.
I hear the Bugera is teh bomb for metal on budget.
VK will never do metalcore as far as I can see.
VKs don't sound as bad as people make them out to be

have we done the craigslist.org exercise yet Pinky?

*puts up all flame shields*
Quote by imgooley
Yes

That was actually what I had in mind when I said JCM.

Right on. Didn't mean to come off high and mighty or anything I just learned the hard way that a Marshall half stack and a bedroom don't work. Marshall's are gig amps (unless you get a combo that doesn't say "MG" on it) there's just no way around it. You have to crank those suckers up to get into what it does so good. Some can say that's every amp though, which is true to an extent, but Marshalls really need to breath to sound "great". A JCM 800 in a room is what I had once and it was a HUGE abysmal failure. I've lost hearing because of it. A Windsor can pull that Marshall crunch off at a MUCH lower volume. Anyway, sorry, thanks for being cool about what I said.
I think the Windsor won't do very convincing metalcore tones, even with an OD.

Or, well, metalcore at all.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
I think the Windsor won't do very convincing metalcore tones, even with an OD.

Or, well, metalcore at all.

I'm not too studied on Metalcore, but do many use JCM's? If so, I think it would work out well. It most definitely can do the other two.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
5150 any day

decent amp in the first place>turd polishing

you can get an EQ/reverb in the future and itll sound better than the VK

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by imgooley
I'm not too studied on Metalcore, but do many use JCM's? If so, I think it would work out well. It most definitely can do the other two.

I don't think so, metalcore is stuff like Trivium and Killswitch Engage. Basically it needs that low end thump and huge powerchords.
Quote by Lunchbox362
and the br00talz pinches
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, something like that. Doesn't sound too bad, actually - better than most people say the VK can do. I'd like to hear that live.
Quote by Lunchbox362
I'd rather have the Windsor than the VK, honestly. That's just me, though.
Well right now my problem is that I don't want a halfstack. At all. To large. And I don't want to spend a bunch on an amp at the moment, just enough to get something good enough. That clip of the VK is pretty close to what I'm talking about, but to be fair http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oed50EAD_hg I really like that. Not the best quality, but meh.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
so was that a 5150 Pinky? Can't go wrong there. I didn't care for that particular player's tone but a great amp. Good luck.

Have you checked your local craigslist already?

http://charlestonwv.craigslist.org/msg/

-_- Don't mock me

Quote by imgooley

I'm the other way, I dislike the Windsor and it's lack of cleans...at least when I tried it at LIMS.
Quote by Pinky19

^

I wasn't mocking you. Sorry if it came across that way. I was only trying to help and was actually laughing at myself because i bring up craigslist in just about every thread now. I do remember you and I talking about this as I recognize west virginia and didn't see much when I checked that local last time. No offense, and good luck.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^

I wasn't mocking you. Sorry if it came across that way. I was only trying to help and was actually laughing at myself because i bring up craigslist in just about every thread now. I do remember you and I talking about this as I recognize west virginia and didn't see much when I checked that local last time. No offense, and good luck.

I was just joking too. But I guess it doesn't matter because my father doesn't seem like he will make an ebay account for me. I think I might get a Visa giftcard type thing and add the money to it, then the paypal account, then get what I want.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^no worries, and good luck on payment options.

your link was a 5150 right?

That it was. I kinda like the palm muted tones, not so much everything else but those palm mutes are beastly.

Quote by imgooley

We agree on a lot Goolz, just not that. I'm with Bart on that one. The Windsor I tried was flat and lifeless. The VK I liked tho. Dunno - it's a preference thing.

TS - Get a 5150 and call it a day.
If they're just for bedroom use, a 5150 or a valveking will be FAR too loud. Even if you can turn them up at weekends. And there's no way that you'd get the chance to play them cranked even then. Power-wise, they're both gigging amps.

I'd reccomend a line 6 pod (of some sort), a Roland cube, Boss GT10, Vox tonelab/ Valvetronix, or some form of software (amplitube? Line 6 toneport etc), or if you want to go down the all tube route, You could get a cheap-ish rack preamp, or a small combo.

As the crate palominos are going so cheap in the States, you could get a 5/8 watt combo and something like a metal muff to boost it. That would still be pretty damn loud, and be well under budget.

Peavey have a few offerings in the way of the Windsor studio, the valveking royal 8,
and this :http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=480777X
I've played this, and it is still VERY loud. I honestly reckon you could gig it if you wanted to.

I reckon that or a modeller/software is your best bet. Take my word, I have a 50 watt tube amp, and it simply isn't a bedroom amp.

Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by jimbob78
A LOT OF WORDS

I'm gonna check out how loud the 6505 and the VK is before hand. And I will eventually get an attenuator I'd say.

Well I wrote a lot because there are many things to consider, and I'd rather you get something that will sound better and be better for your purposes than an alluring monster wattage valve combo.
Try them out though - it should put things in perspective for you.

Good luck matey
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by jimbob78
Well I wrote a lot because there are many things to consider, and I'd rather you get something that will sound better and be better for your purposes than an alluring monster wattage valve combo.
Try them out though - it should put things in perspective for you.

Good luck matey

I'm happy you took the time to write all of that, just there was no need to repeat it all and take up that much space. Hopefully by Friday I can try out that 6505.

Jimbob78 - Metal amps are high wattage for a reason. You don't want power tube satch for metal, preamp tube satch yes. Power tube satch = classic rock.
jimbob makes some great points.

there are other options.

VK112 50 wattr can be played at lower volumes and achieve metal'ish tones if tweaked right. Just above bedroom levels. It is not a bedroom amp. Heck, for all we know you would be better off with a Cube or a Vypyr or the blow out priced Crates.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
jimbob makes some great points.

there are other options.

VK112 50 wattr can be played at lower volumes and achieve metal'ish tones if tweaked right. Just above bedroom levels. It is not a bedroom amp. Heck, for all we know you would be better off with a Cube or a Vypyr or the blow out priced Crates.

=( Thanks making me confused again.

Quote by Pinky19
=( Thanks making me confused again.

ha

sorry...i certainly didn't mean to do that.

do you gig?
what is the closest major city to you and how far?

cl.org takes cash only usually but you may have to drive.

the 6505 is a lot of amp if your not gigging and i'm just saying maybe there is something else that would work that is more reasonable (without an attenuator as you mentioned).

Sorry but:

budget
new or used
home or gig
music styles

kinda joking, but let's get real.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
ha

sorry...i certainly didn't mean to do that.

do you gig?
what is the closest major city to you and how far?- Charleston or Huntington, West Virginia

cl.org takes cash only usually but you may have to drive.

the 6505 is a lot of amp if your not gigging and i'm just saying maybe there is something else that would work that is more reasonable (without an attenuator as you mentioned).

Sorry but:

budget-600$
new or used-either
home or gig-home/eventually gigged
music styles-thrash classic rock, metalcore

kinda joking, but let's get real.

Sorry for replying so late, I went to the doctor.
but answered in quote.

Page 1 of 2