Hey, i could get a squier strat from my friend for about $30-40 dollars, i was wondering if i should buy it and mod it, and would it sound good? Maybe some new pickups and paint job, or should i just wait for a fender strats (one of them $400 ones)? Thanks
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Crybaby Wah
it's something that differs a lot... some sounds ****ing awesome... but also, some of them sounds like shit.
DO IT.

They're great fun to mod, and you'll get a pretty decent guitar at the end of it. The price difference between the two isn't good enough for what you would get at the end. Id save the $300-ish and buy yourself a wife/whatever.
I are chav.
oh btw its one of them ones you get with the starter pack, and what other mods should i apply to it
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
Most likely, the things to upgrade would be the tuners and electronics and pickups.
Quote by KennySG
oh btw its one of them ones you get with the starter pack, and what other mods should i apply to it
I'd get a 2007 or later MIM Fender bridge (beefier trem block and has the same string spacing), new pots and switch, a bone or better, man-made nut. PUs would be optional unless you're going for something totally different and if you have a nice amp.

The tuners on most guitars are pretty reliable really ... you just need to re-string properly.

What kind of paint job are you planning?

All the electronics (including the pickups), tuners and bridge (if you really want to).

You could change the finish, but i wouldn't advise this - as 98% of the time the finish looks 100x worse than it did to begin with. Of course, if its a really shite colour, then you might as well give it a go.

Anyway, you won't have to spend much to get a pretty decent guitar. Pickups and Tuners would be the ones I suggest you replace first, though.
I are chav.
it has the original black finish and i dont really like the feel of the body, so im going to strip the paint off and decide on what to change it to, il prob get some texas special pups or something and a new fender neck, and some new tuners, but could someone give me a warmoth link to a neck i could use? and some electronics too
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
What's wrong with the neck? Usually, the Squier necks are more than decent. Warmoth will cost you an arm and a leg ... probably close to what you'll spend for a used MIM Strat.

As far as electronics, you can get Fender-branded ones from MF or GC. I'd go eBay, more options. If you want inexpensive, go GuitarFetish ... they have Wilkinson bridges and decent (better than Squier parts): http://store.guitarfetish.com/index.html

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=strat_vintagemodern

https://www.musikraft.com/index.php?CZSESSID=c94sdmnksa0fq9qbq93e535q74

Also, Google AllParts and USACG necks.

ok yeah scratch the warmoth necks.. but i dont really like the squier ones and its not that great, so i want to get a new one.
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
May I suggest Mighty mite?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Buy it, Upgrade all the electronics/hardware.
Keeping it real since '92