I keep hearing people say, a major chord is 1st, 3rd and 5th. What does this mean ? This may be a silly question but i just don't understand what it means
Quote by davidskan1
Am i supposed to be looking at the major scale ?

All theory stems from the major scale, unless you have a decent understanding of it more theory will probably elude you.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
bascially, every note in a scale has a number, 1st being the root note, and 8th being the next octave up.

in the case of a major chord, 1 3 5, you take those notes of the the scale. e.g.

G major scale - G A B C D E F# G
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

a G major chord would be - G B D
1 3 5

i hope that helped
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
^Expansion:

The third is the most important note in the triad. It decides whether the chord is major, minor, augmented or diminished.

Using the major scale:
1 3 5 = Major
1 b3 5 = Minor
1 bb3 5 = Diminished (bb means double flat; down 2 semitones)
1 #3 5 = Augmented
Quote by bartdevil_metal
^Expansion:

The third is the most important note in the triad. It decides whether the chord is major, minor, augmented or diminished.

Using the major scale:
1 3 5 = Major
1 b3 5 = Minor
1 bb3 5 = Diminished (bb means double flat; down 2 semitones)
1 #3 5 = Augmented

Wrong. The term augmented actually refers to the fifth (and a set of stacked major thirds) and diminished refers to a set of intervals characterised by stacked minor thirds.

Half Diminished = 1 b3 b5
Diminished = 1 b3 b5 bb7
Augmented = 1 3 #5
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Wrong. The term augmented actually refers to the fifth (and a set of stacked major thirds) and diminished refers to a set of intervals characterised by stacked minor thirds.

Diminished = 1 b3 b5 bb7
Augmented = 1 3 #5

You are correct, sir!
Futher more, the two that the guy before posted:
1 bb3(M2) 5=Suspended 2nd Triad
1 #3(P4) 5=Suspended 4th Triad

Suspended chords aren't Major or Minor.
Stop whining and learn your theory!

Quote by oddhawk676
Yeah, some black guy with a yankees cap walks into the ice cream parlor, and I said "We dont serve your kind here," as in, yankee fans, i guess he thought something else and left.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Diminished = 1 b3 b5 bb7
Augmented = 1 3 #5

Yeah disregard that post - I don't know quite what I was thinking, was very tired

This is correct^

What I was describing with the diminshed and augmented ones were suspensions. Sorry!
They are just degrees of that scale that combine to form a major chord.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards