Page 1 of 2
I recently bought a Digitech RP500 and I've decided I'm going to return it and wait until I can afford a decent tube amp.

I currently own a MG 100 DFX, which isn't bad for a solid state, but I would much rather get that sweet tube tone.

So, I'm asking for some advice on good tube/ modeling amps that have effects and such and nice classic distortions and crunch.

I can probably afford an amp in the range of $400-700. (Maybe higher if I keep saving.)

Thanks in advance for the help.
A)MG is HORRIBLE for SS. It's just bad.
B)Peavey Vypyr Tube 60: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Peavey-Vypyr-Tube-60-60W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-482912-i1413609.gc
-Best for low budget and what you want.
C)Spider Valve 112: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Spider-Valve-112-40W-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104616750-i1323853.gc
-If you're brave, you can try it. I wasn't impressed, but its better than the SS Spider IIIs.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Standard Questions:
Budget? covered.
Playing Styles?
Where are you from? US, UK, Europe?

also, do you WANT a modelling tube amp, or just a tube amp or a modelling amp?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
traynor ycv40 or ycv50
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by LaidBack

Playing Styles?

Need to know
Quote by LaidBack
Standard Questions:
Budget? covered.
Playing Styles?

also, do you WANT a modelling tube amp, or just a tube amp or a modelling amp?

I play classic rock, blues, jazz, some southern rock... 60's, 70's and 80's... Anything from AC/DC to ZZ Top

I'm in the USA

And since I'm kind of new to tube amps, I'm guessing I want a tube modeling amp... Whatever you call a tube amp that has built in effects and settings.
Quote by Highwaytohell
Styles to be played?
What FX do you ACTUALLY think you will use?
Are you willing to sell your MG ?

Styles: classic Zeppelin rock, Jimi Hendrix and SRV blues, Slash 80's rock, some jazz...

I think I will need at least a chorus, flanger, maybe a delay... just some standard effects that will do the everyday job. (but if going effect-less is cheaper, I can eventually buy the separate effects...)

And yes, hopefully I can sell the MG on craigslist so I can pull off a better amp.
If you are new to tube amps, the great thing about them is that they AREN'T fouled up by effects built in. You should go for something with an effects loop and add pedals. For those genres, an AC30 would be great, as would a Classic 30
Quote by electrictone
I play classic rock, blues, jazz, some southern rock... 60's, 70's and 80's... Anything from AC/DC to ZZ Top

I'm in the USA

And since I'm kind of new to tube amps, I'm guessing I want a tube modeling amp... Whatever you call a tube amp that has built in effects and settings.

For that, you don't want a modeler.

The best thing for you would be an EL-34 amp, but the Peavey Windsor is the only one within that range AFAIK. Unless you keep saving, in which case you can get something used.

A nice Bassman based amp is another option, though SF bassman's can be found in your range.

Crate V series is a cheaper option that can cover what you want, though they sound kinda Voxy.
hmmmm...i dont wanna seem like a bandwagon jumper, but the Crate V series might be great for you. or maybe a used peavey classic 30. then buy youre effects later. i just prefer seperate effects. you may not. try out amps and see what you like.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I know what would work perfect for the amount you can spend.

Bugera 333xl. all tube, El34s, good cleans and good gain. FX loop noise gate... Handbuilt for 700$

Thats what you need.
You could also look into
Used Peavey XXX combos
Used Peavey Ultra

EDIT: and the only REALLY good amps with built in FX IMHO are Hughes and Kettner amps.
I also want to add that I'll be using this for some small gigs and practice... So I know tubes can get loud, but I just want to make sure mine will be loud enough, lol. Thanks for all of the replies so far.
that doesnt sound like a bad idea Highway.

but still, before you settle for anything, TRY TRY TRY!!!

i almost settled for a VK until i found a brand new F-50 in stock near me!
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Highwaytohell

Bugera 333xl. all tube, El34s, good cleans and good gain. FX loop noise gate... Handbuilt for 700$

Thats what you need.
You could also look into
Used Peavey XXX combos
Used Peavey Ultra

EDIT: and the only REALLY good amps with built in FX IMHO are Hughes and Kettner amps.

Those are pretty metal oriented amps though
i still say stick with the Crate V series. 18 or 33 should be perfect.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
i still say stick with the Crate V series. 18 or 33 should be perfect.

Would that be for practice only? I guess it could be mic'd but I'm not sure if all these places I'm going to perform at are going to have a PA for instruments. :/
99% of the time you will be mic'ed at a show. for good measure I would go with the 33 for good measure for when you play with a drummer.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I guess basically I'm looking for an amp that can sound like a classic Marshall (Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, Clapton, SRV, Slash...) but for only a chunk of the price. I'd prefer the $500 range if that's possible... And a nice watt range too, not just for practice, but possible to do some small gigs...

Thanks guys for all of the replies so far, I'm looking for sound demos on Utube right now cause Guitar Center doesn't have any.
Quote by Highwaytohell

Thats what you need.
You could also look into
Used Peavey XXX combos
Used Peavey Ultra

None of those are really good for vintage sounds, fwiw. Very good amps, though.
Quote by electrictone
I guess basically I'm looking for an amp that can sound like a classic Marshall (Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, Clapton, SRV, Slash...) but for only a chunk of the price. I'd prefer the $500 range if that's possible... And a nice watt range too, not just for practice, but possible to do some small gigs...

Thanks guys for all of the replies so far, I'm looking for sound demos on Utube right now cause Guitar Center doesn't have any.

The closest you are going to get is a Peavey Windsor (for that price).
Quote by imgooley
The closest you are going to get is a Peavey Windsor (for that price).

That amp sounds/looks really nice. The only thing is the combo is only 20W. The stack looks kick A though. Would you recommend this over any other tube amp in this price range?
I've got the Windsor 100 watt head. All I can say is you get what you pay for. Got mine new for $280 and frankly that's the only reason I got it. It's a poor mans 800.... A very, very poor man.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by electrictone
That amp sounds/looks really nice. The only thing is the combo is only 20W. The stack looks kick A though. Would you recommend this over any other tube amp in this price range?

For what you want, it is probably the best. There is also the Epiphone So Cal 50, which is another great amp, though it's discontinued.

Keep in mind, though, that it is a single channel amp. But then again, so were the Marshalls that you are trying to emulate.
Mg ftw
JK,
If you want to keep it under 500, Crate V's and Classic 30's are probably the best Marshally sounding amps. Oh, and if you want that Marshall sound, the V50 runs on 6l6's so it is more american sounding than the 18 and 33. Just a heads up
Quote by mcrfobtai
Mg ftw
JK,
If you want to keep it under 500, Crate V's and Classic 30's are probably the best Marshally sounding amps. Oh, and if you want that Marshall sound, the V50 runs on 6l6's so it is more american sounding than the 18 and 33. Just a heads up

Those amps sound more Voxy than Marshally to me.
Quote by UnsignedRecords
traynor ycv40 or ycv50

quoted for emphasis.

you want marshall tone? get one of these. used.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by imgooley
Those amps sound more Voxy than Marshally to me.

Yeah, I guess.
Maybe the YCV5 really is your best choice
Quote by mcrfobtai
Yeah, I guess.
Maybe the YCV5 really is your best choice

Yeah but that's outside of my budget...

I have a question about those crate amps though. It looks like the 33 watt costs more than the 50w? I guess I don't get that, is it because the 33w has the double speaker?
Quote by electrictone
Yeah but that's outside of my budget...

I have a question about those crate amps though. It looks like the 33 watt costs more than the 50w? I guess I don't get that, is it because the 33w has the double speaker?

The 33w is Class A EL84 (4xEL84). The V50 is Class A/B 6L6 (2x6L6)
Quote by imgooley
The 33w is Class A EL84 (4xEL84). The V50 is Class A/B 6L6 (2x6L6)

(lol sorry) and in english that means...
(which one is better?)
neither is really 'better.' the v33 has a chimey-er dark voicing to it, while the v50 has a brighter american voice to it. i think the v33 would be better for marshally tones.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by electrictone
(lol sorry) and in english that means...
(which one is better?)

Ask your ears.

Also, the 2x12 vs 1x12 configuration factors in.
Quote by UnsignedRecords
neither is really 'better.' the v33 has a chimey-er dark voicing to it, while the v50 has a brighter american voice to it. i think the v33 would be better for marshally tones.

Well I am kind of liking the cheaper prices (compared to the Peavey's and Vox's, etc...) and as long as I can get a good Marshall crunch, I'm all for it. With the money I could save I could be some effect pedals and such...

What do you personally think of the unit?
i haven't tried the v33 or the new v50, but i've tried the new v5 and have a v50.

they're not bad for the price, but if you go for used traynor, it would do much better than these amps.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

I'm looking for an amp that can sound like a classic Marshall (Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, Clapton, SRV, Slash...) but for only a chunk of the price.

Found your problem. I just hope you realize that something has got to give when you are trying to get a 3000 dollar tone with a 500 dollar amp :P
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
Found your problem. I just hope you realize that something has got to give when you are trying to get a 3000 dollar tone with a 500 dollar amp :P

I understand I won't get that close of a tone... but I'm trying my best :P
Page 1 of 2