I've played the B-52 and I got a good chug out of it and an almost spot on Master of Puppets tone. But then I heard a bunch of great things about the V3 and I was wondering if that would be better suited to get the 80s/early 90s metal tone I want for Prog/Thrash metal. So would a V3 with a Celestion 30s cab/combo or the ST-6012 be a better choice for my playing needs?
I would go with the Carvin.
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
well, V3 has 3 channels, so you can set one up for real nice thrash tones it gets, and one for a medium more mellow drive, and then clean. The V3 is voiced for chugging power chords so with the right speakers it would be better yes. I'm not sure about the V30s as I have 65s, but the V30s are the number 1 hard rock/metal speakers, so they should work great.
Quote by bass-man9712
after i clicked all i could think was "please don't be goatse, please dont be goatse"

PSN: Effigyoferebus (feel free to add it)
The Carvin has EL34s in it which have more of a mid range, and the B-52 has the 6L6s in it which are better for that low end I'm looking for though.
Quote by SCopeland24
The Carvin has EL34s in it which have more of a mid range, and the B-52 has the 6L6s in it which are better for that low end I'm looking for though.

then get the b-52. why are you asking here if you already know you want the b-52 and not the carvin?
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by SCopeland24

The Carvin can use either EL34s or 6L6s actually.
I'm actually looking at upgrading to a V3 in the near future (maybe).
I think the Carvin wins hands down, it is more expensive though.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Carvin V3 is EL34/6L6 switchable, and a better amp too.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
The V3 can give you a pretty nice Metallica tone, the V3 with 6L6GC tubes can give you an even better one. I've been learning a lot of Death Magnetic and that's also inspired me to play some of my favorites off ...And Justice For All and Master of Puppets so I can tell you with confidence that a V3 will not disappoint you if it's Metallica you're after.

Even though, my V3 hasn't disappointed me no matter what I was after.
Guitars:
Carvin DC145
Epiphone Explorer with Seymour Duncan JB and '59
Ibanez RGT42FXQM with Dimarzio Evo 2 and PAF Joe
Amp:
Carvin V3 2x12 combo with JJ 6L6GC tubes

Bass:
Ibanez SR300IPT
Amp:
Carvin BX600 2x10 half stack
Quote by Remonster
The V3 can give you a pretty nice Metallica tone, the V3 with 6L6GC tubes can give you an even better one. I've been learning a lot of Death Magnetic and that's also inspired me to play some of my favorites off ...And Justice For All and Master of Puppets so I can tell you with confidence that a V3 will not disappoint you if it's Metallica you're after.

Even though, my V3 hasn't disappointed me no matter what I was after.

So can you dial in a tight, thick death metal rythym tone on one channel than switch to a nice smooth warm lead tone on the next?
Is the V3 very fizzy?

I'm deciding between it and an Engl e530, and im stuck
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Carvin, if you've got the money. Carvin > Mesa...
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
Before i bought my amp i tried the V3 and the B-52, just to explore all my possibilities. I liked the B-52 but it wasnt heavy enough. I tried a freind's V3 and fell in love.

I still have it, but am trying to sell it to get the 2x12 version V3. Its a terriffic amp and i would highly recommend it.

Is it fizzy? Kinda, but its easy to dial out. I mean, you almost gotta go looking for a fizzy tone on order to get it out of there. BTW, tubes are negligable for me; i get the sound i want and im happy.
Quote by dogismycopilot
Before i bought my amp i tried the V3 and the B-52, just to explore all my possibilities. I liked the B-52 but it wasnt heavy enough. I tried a freind's V3 and fell in love.

I still have it, but am trying to sell it to get the 2x12 version V3. Its a terriffic amp and i would highly recommend it.

Is it fizzy? Kinda, but its easy to dial out. I mean, you almost gotta go looking for a fizzy tone on order to get it out of there. BTW, tubes are negligable for me; i get the sound i want and im happy.

How is it for playing at really low volumes?
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Quote by yM.Samurai
Carvin, if you've got the money. Carvin > Mesa...

Strongly disagree.

There are some Mesas I'd say the V3 is better than, but most definitely not ALL of them.

Besides Master of Puppets, what other kind of tones are you looking for? 80s/90s thrash can be a little broad, but just from the word "trash," I want to recommend a JCM800 instead, but maybe I'm wrong on what you're looking for. Metallica uses/used Mesas, so I'd definitely check into them if you can afford one.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
my v3 was fizzy until i put 6l6s in it. great all round amp best thing under your framus cobras etc.
I'm deciding between it and an Engl e530, and im stuck

For me it came down to Carvin V3 vs Rack system with Engl 530 preamp... i went with the rack, but that's not to say that the V3 isn't an awesome amp :x
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Well I have an RR3 with Mustaine Livewires and an ESP LTD JH-600 with EMGs, and I am looking for a Ibanez RG2550Z so my pup option is wide. I guess the tones I want to answer an earlier question would be a Metallica (as in their whole career) tone, Megadeth, Testament, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Dream Theater, Queensryche, Alice in Chains, Death, tone. Something that has a thick deep natural punch to its distortion and has a chug to it. Also bring, crystal clear cleans, and a nice high gain selection for leads and some overdrive/bright tones ala Def Leppard. So basically an all around amp.
Quote by kayman121
For me it came down to Carvin V3 vs Rack system with Engl 530 preamp... i went with the rack, but that's not to say that the V3 isn't an awesome amp :x

Yeah and the way you described the Engls tone was exactly what i wanted to hear.
Plus i know the Engl will be good at low volumes.
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball