On my usual guitar, the bridge is in just the right place that i often find the heel of my palm resting on it (not solidly anchored though)....

When i played a Strat recently, i found the bridge seemed much further back and my palm was resting on the strings a lot of the time, but not muting the string/s i was playing.

Is that how it is for you Strat guys?
My palm does not rest on the bridge nor the strings. But I'm a complete newbie so maybe I'm doing something wrong?
Well to play cleanly your supposed to mute the strings, i think, so yes I do.
i like to anchor my hand to something, whether it be the body or the strings. especially when im soloing, where your generally just playing the top 3 strings, i put my palm on the bottom 2
It doesn't, my palm rests lightly on the bridge just past the strings so I'm always ready to palm mute.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
You don't want to anchor, but you do want to be able to mute the strings. Muting the high strings with your fretting hand index finger and the low strings with your palm. But not anchoring to the body of the guitar that limits movement.

Ensure that you have the same pick angle on all strings, it shouldn't alter between high and low strings. If it is and your pick is switching directions this means you are anchoring and not moving your hand. Start off by not anchoring is the way to go. ALways movement to be a lot more fluid and free.

Read FreePowor's lessons. I believe they are stickied in the Advanced Technique forums. Lessons are great if you have never seen them.
MY GEAR:

ESP LTD MH-50 W/ TREMOLO
ROLAND CUBE 15X
BOSS DS-2 TURBO DISTORTION
Dunlop Ultrex Jazz III
NEW: Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
NEW: EHX: Small Clone Chorus Pedal
Really depends on the tone you're looking for, for me, i play gibsons, so i play just near the bridge for a treble tone, and for smooth lead i dont anchor and play up near my neck...
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It doesn't, my palm rests lightly on the bridge just past the strings so I'm always ready to palm mute.

Not a good habit to get into mate because when you go to play the bottom 2 in a song u decide to learn, you will have that mute/resting happen naturally.

When playing you should use your whole arm from shoulder down. Resting your palm unless in a solo will make things harder for you later in life. so Start moving your whole arm to stroke.
<|ĐÞŞ|>
Dead Puppy Society
=When the going gets tough, the tough get going=
I'm not very good but I rest my hand on the bridge sometimes, sometimes my hand is floating freely above the strings and other times it's touching the Body of the guitar... It depends on what I'm playing. It's easier to rest your hand on the bridge when you are going to palm mute. It sounds cleaner and it's less awkward...
Quote by toeinator
Not a good habit to get into mate because when you go to play the bottom 2 in a song u decide to learn, you will have that mute/resting happen naturally.

When playing you should use your whole arm from shoulder down. Resting your palm unless in a solo will make things harder for you later in life. so Start moving your whole arm to stroke.

My playing position works well in all situations because my hand isn't fixed to the bridge at all, I can play just as well with a completely floating hand but choose not to because it's quite uncomfortable. I haven't had any trouble with any song I've tried to learn yet and I've been playing for about 5-6 years so I think I'm all right.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by toeinator

That's some of the worse advice I have heard.....DEPENDING on what style you play. If you look at all the fastest players and even classical players you will see they don't use a floating hand and they just used their wrist to make the picking motion. Their hand is also positioned in an 'anchored' manner.
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
Quote by thriller4life
classical players you will see they don't use a floating hand and they just used their wrist to make the picking motion. Their hand is also positioned in an 'anchored' manner.

No. A classical teacher would sooner shoot you in the face than let you anchor your hand and also classical picking motion generally comes from the fingers, not the wrist.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
No. A classical teacher would sooner shoot you in the face than let you anchor your hand and also classical picking motion generally comes from the fingers, not the wrist.

Now this isn' about classical guitar is it? And you need to mute ringing strings, especially when using distortion.
Quote by matsp888
Now this isn' about classical guitar is it? And you need to mute ringing strings, especially when using distortion.

OK, sorry, I missed the statement that you were commenting.
I place my picking hand so that it is able to mute the string I'm picking with my palm right at the bridge. I end up striking the string just under the neck pickup.
I rest my palm on the bridge, lightly. It applies a light muting to the bass strings which works well with fingerstyle (learned it from Doc Watson!).
i suggest that wherever your palm is, 'rest' isn't the best word to use. i did it wrong for a long time, trying to force my palm to "rest" by using other muscles in the arm to pull my hand toward the body.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by matsp888

It might not be about classical guitar but it is about 8 years old.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
It might not be about classical guitar but it is about 8 years old.

if you read further down, you will notice that I missed the original posting. And I don't care how old the thread is,to be honest.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
My playing position works well in all situations because my hand isn't fixed to the bridge at all, I can play just as well with a completely floating hand but choose not to because it's quite uncomfortable. I haven't had any trouble with any song I've tried to learn yet and I've been playing for about 5-6 years so I think I'm all right.

No, you can't play "just as well with a completely floating hand", mister. That would mean having absolutely no point of reference, and I don't believe that you'll manage to do that while still maintaining some degree of precision. Even the people who say that they play "floating" have some sort of reference, like touching lower strings lightly with the palm.
Quote by matsp888
.... And I don't care how old the thread is,to be honest.

you should care as resurrecting old threads is against the rules.
Quote by kabadi.man
you should care as resurrecting old threads is against the rules.

Alright, point taken.