I'm sick of feedback! Every 5 seconds I hear very loud squeals. I have a good noise gate (ISP Decimator) and I'm not using too much gain (it's at about 6/10 usually). Is there any way to get rid of unwanted feedback? Even when I'm muting the strings it happens and while I'm playing. When I used a distortion pedal for my distortion this never happened but now that I've switched to my amp distortion it happens constantly. And it's 10x as bad when I have my wah on. If I turn my noise gate up super high it goes away but it also cuts out notes and sucks tone then. Any suggestions? I understand a little feedback is going to be there but this is ridiculous... Thanks all!
Do you have the noise gate in your effects loop? Also, make sure your guitar is shielded properly. Your pickups or tubes may have gone microphonic - try a different guitar in your amp, then your guitar in a different amp... it could be pretty much anything.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
it could be something wrong with the amp. you said that with the distortion pedal it never happened, so maybe there's something wrong with the wiring or something in the amp head that makes it feed back like crazy. but i have no idea. just a thought.

your amp could just suck too. what amp do you have?
dst127 wrote:
Soundwash22 wrote:
Fred Durst is the Tom Green of music

No, some people actually like Tom Green.

dancesisidance wrote:
Shiroshu wrote:
I can't see Jimi approving of this.

Me neither, due to him not being alive and all.
what amp and what guitar do you own? It could either be the input jack on your guitar needs to be replaced, or if you have a tube amp its gone microphonic- a test for this is tapping the tubes and seeing if the tapping can be heard through the amp, if so replace the tubes.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
What equipment do you have?

Give us a rundown, sometimes your pedal formation does this. Also, check that your pups are grounded properly.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
I have a Schecter C-1 Blackjack and a Randall RX120DHS (it's a solid state half stack). And no, there is no feedback at low volumes.
Quote by Colgate Total

Give us a rundown, sometimes your pedal formation does this. Also, check that your pups are grounded properly.

I have my Schecter C-1 Blackjack going into a BBE Sonic Maximizer going into an Ibanez Weeping Demon wah pedal going into my H2O chorus/delay pedal which goes into my Randall RX120DHS solid state half stack. It doesn't squeal at low volumes so I don't think there is anything wrong with it. And my ISP Decimator (noise gate) is in the effects loop.
Are you playing close to your amp? This is the easiest way to get feedback, especially if your playing using a single coil pickup.

If so, back up, simple as that.

Im sure this isn't it though, so check out the jacks? Try a different guitar and see if the amp still does it.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by Colgate Total

What do you mean pickups grounded properly?
also try removing all pedals and just plug your guitar in.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
Are you playing close to your amp? This is the easiest way to get feedback, especially if your playing using a single coil pickup.

If so, back up, simple as that.

Im sure this isn't it though, so check out the jacks? Try a different guitar and see if the amp still does it.

I am close to my amp and moving away helps but I still get that annoying squeal sometimes. Also, I like being close to my amp because my pedalboard is there and I can't move the pedalboard because the adaptor powering it won't go too far.
Quote by kirkhammett09
What do you mean pickups grounded properly?

The wiring has a problem. I really have no idea about the technicalities of it all, but my Les Paul had this problem a few months back, where the bridge would feedback when playing at loud volumes, and no other guitars would, even with hotter pups like EMGs. So, I took it into a tech, and he said I had a grounding issue. So he fixed it, and I haven't had the problem since. Shouldn't cost much if at all to get that fixed.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Is your Decimator on?

You could try it in front instead of in the loop, see if it makes a difference

Or if you know anyone/any shops with a decimator Gstring noise gate,
you can use that in the loop and in front
My Gear:
Jackson RR3 + Bill Lawrence L500XL

Sennheiser EW500 Wireless
T-bone EWS wireless
IbanezTS9
MXR 6Band EQ
Ibanez WD7
Decimator

Peavey VK100
Epiphone ValveJunior
Kustom Quad100DFX 2x12
MicroCube!
Marshall 1960A 4 x 12
like i said, if you havent tried already, remove all pedals and only plug your guitar into the amp.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
noise suppressor, that is all you need. Don't need to screw with anything else.
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
Quote by Colgate Total
The wiring has a problem. I really have no idea about the technicalities of it all, but my Les Paul had this problem a few months back, where the bridge would feedback when playing at loud volumes, and no other guitars would, even with hotter pups like EMGs. So, I took it into a tech, and he said I had a grounding issue. So he fixed it, and I haven't had the problem since. Shouldn't cost much if at all to get that fixed.

this is most likely the problem, if you have a bit of know-how it's a super easy fix.
.|......|....|
=--
.............|

an unsaturated fattylolcid.
If you play a lot of metal anyways, scooping the mids seems to reduce a lot of feedback on my amp. But if you don't play metal, you're probably going to want your mids.
Quote by sppunk1991
If you play a lot of metal anyways, scooping the mids seems to reduce a lot of feedback on my amp. But if you don't play metal, you're probably going to want your mids.

Yeah, you want mids for metal too.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.