Page 1 of 2
Specifications wanted:

Mahogany neck, preferably bound
Either Humbuckers or P-90's (passives only, preferably low-medium output/vintage output)
Black, dark brownish, dark sunburst, or natural.
Solid Body (no real wood preference)
22 frets
Preferably a non-floyd tremolo/vibrato/vibrola tailpiece.
Set neck or neck through.

Budget: Under $500 USD

Willing to look used.

Genre is Blues and Blues based music.

Forgot to specify: I do not want a LP or an LP clone at this point in time. My preference for this guitar is an SG shape or other, different shapes
Last edited by imgooley at Sep 14, 2008,
Quote by (Metal)lica
Look at Agile?

I have, but their SG clone looks deformed, and IIRC, they don't have a LP clone with a bigsby. Will keep in mind, though.

I don't really want a LP right now, because I want to snag an Edwards LPC later on down the line.
Hmmmmm, g-400 with a good pickup swap?

Used Gibson faded?
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

Quote by (Metal)lica

Too rich.

Matrixclaw is selling his Faded SG, but I don't have that much money. I'd want to spend around 3-400 for this axe, but 500 is the max that I would go, and for that I would have to play it first.

I was looking at the G-400, as well as a few Japanese copies, but IDK, I kinda need a vibrato tailpiece.

I might try and snag a used G-400 and throw a bigsby on it, though I'd prefer a bound neck.

Another option I'm considering is a Firebird studio.
id say try an epiphone dot or epiphone sheraton but you dont want a hollow body or semi hollow
GUITAR: Gibson Les Paul Special
AMP:Fender Vibro Champ XD
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
USMC
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
^The telecaster has a bolt on neck. Not what I want right now.

I don't really want another semi right now.

Right now, it looks like a Firebird Studio or a G-400. Are there any comparable alternatives to these?

Also, is it possible to get a Maestro Vibrola and if so, can you share a link?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
^Not looking for a Les Paul right now.

Thanks for the Maestro link, though.
No prob, I didn't know if the V was a blues guitar. And there's a $10 cheaper one on Ebay, I would reccomend buying it soon, there was only 2.
EDIT: Of the two, I prefer the Firebird, the SG is more suited for Classic Rock IMO.
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
No prob, I didn't know if the V was a blues guitar. And there's a $10 cheaper one on Ebay, I would reccomend buying it soon, there was only 2.
EDIT: Of the two, I prefer the Firebird, the SG is more suited for Classic Rock IMO.

I don't buy from ebay, so I'm not worried about that right now.

And Albert King used a Flying V. Sister Rosetta Tharpe used an SG Custom. Johnny Winter uses a Firebird.

Does anyone have any info on Japanese copies, specifically Tokai? I looked on their site, but they don't have any products up. Any other Japanese copies are also viable.
gretsch electromatic? those solid bodies
GUITAR: Gibson Les Paul Special
AMP:Fender Vibro Champ XD
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
USMC
Maybe look for a Greco or Hoshino one? I looked, and I found an '87 Greco that looked very nice, but it was sold, and they didn't put a price. I heard good things about the Bradley Firebird copy.
EDIT: Youre probably better off buying an Epi, the only place that MIGHT have one is Ebay.
Quote by chip46
Last edited by lespaul#1 at Sep 14, 2008,
Quote by lespaul#1
Maybe look for a Greco or Hoshino one? I looked, and I found an '87 Greco that looked very nice, but it was sold, and they didn't put a price. I heard good things about the Bradley Firebird copy.

Those aren't exactly readily available.
Quote by lespaul#1

I saw that earlier.

If I'm going used, I don't think I'm going to get a Faded SG. Most of the guitars mentioned so far are not to my specs, so I would have to compromise on things I don't want to compromise.

It's going to cost me anywhere from 40-120 to get a decent vibrato system, so that breaks my budget.
Youll have 2 w8 a while for your rig.
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
Youll have 2 w8 a while for your rig.

All I'm really looking for is in the OP.

I'm sure there are a few instruments that meet my specs, aside from the ones mentioned.
I know how you feel, I want my '57 Strat but it'll be a month(s) before I can get it. Power to the student workers!
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
I know how you feel, I want my '57 Strat but it'll be a month(s) before I can get it. Power to the student workers!

The difference being that I'm 5 years older than you are, and don't have the luxury of just letting my money sit like that. 500 is the limit, no room for movement.
^I'm seriously considering one of those. I wonder what it would look like with a bigsby.

Also, any thoughts on this http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gretsch-Guitars-G5135-Electromatic-Corvette?sku=513281
I'll let you know, coming from a WI64PL owner (Its like a DL but there is pearloid and apparently quite rare) Its the best guitar under $500. The craftsman ship is on par with a good USA made guitar, perfect intonation thanks to Buzz Feiten. Neck is very nice, plays better than any entry level Gibson. Weakpoint are the pickups though. I replaced mine and I wouldn't trade the guitar for the world
Try taking this to Gregs1020, he'll take care of you.
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1

I've read those reviews, thank you.

I was hoping for more first hand evaluations.
Quote by nido
a used EC1000 or 500 series
I think some of those come with SD pickups

Used EC1000's are about twice what I want to pay, and it's a LP shaped guitar.

I also think they have high output pu's which is not something I want, nor have I seen one with a Bigsby or non-floyd tremolo.

Nice try, though.

In other news: Does anyone have experience with Harmony, Danelectro, or Silvertone guitars?
I've heard that Silvertones were bad, and Danelectros were OK.
Quote by chip46
^Do you have any first hand experience as opposed to hearsay?
My good friend, i own a Dano single cutaway. Its quite nice for the price, but its a bit neck heavy, and the tone is kind of... Plinky. But hey, may be just the thing for you. Also, it isnt any of those specs. Its made of some kind of plywood.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
^Hmm... Plywood is a definite dealbreaker.

Do they have a website?
No experience, but someone told me he bought a Silvertone instead of a Fender or Mozrite, not sure, and he said he regretted it.
Quote by chip46
Page 1 of 2