Although this may sound like a beginner question (and it still kind of is), I've been playing over 2 years and I've changed my strings a whole lot of times. I know it makes a difference and you need to change them. But can it make a HUGE difference? The reason I ask is because I had my EQ set up perfect and I really enjoyed the tone I had. Then I didn't play on my amp for a while (or change strings) and it sounds horrible. I usually change my strings every week or so and it's been 5 or 6 weeks since I've changed them. Could this cause a drastic change in tone? Sort of pointless question since I'm changing them regardless but I was just wondering.
Definitely. Strings really start to lose their action after a few weeks, but changing strings once a week is insane. The only people that really do that are rockstars, just so they can keep their tone.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Epiphone SG w/EMG's

Amps:
Peavey Windsor Head w/ JSX Cab
MicroCube (for the sake of practice at college)

Pedals :
Fulltone Full Drive 2 Mosfet
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
are you mad? you must change your string once a month maybe 2, but changing strings each week? that's crazy, changing strings can make a big difference, but if you change them once a week the strings will neves get the right tone because the string have to asimilate the tension of the bridge to stay in tone
once a week is overkill.

they take time to get used in
First Emo of the Bass Militia PM DinkyDaisy to join
Quote by metaldud536
Did your know your son likes to fap?

Quote by Minkaro
I'd rather shove a Pidgeot up my arse than spend any time with Jimmy Page.

Quote by Table Salt
You win for making me really laugh.

add that:
Myspace
I change my strings once every 3-8 months on average (big difference, I know). Why on God's green Earth would you change them every week?! They're probably just getting settled in there. Imagine the guitar you could have bought if you had just saved the money on those strings...
yea agreed. you shouldnt have to change strings once a week unless you are doing a heavy amount of gigging. but as far as tone goes the string gauge will affect it, but thats new or old strings. but personally i wait to change mine when they get really gross from hand grease that naturally collects on the strings. i use dean markley blue steels and a set usually lasts me like 3-4 weeks. if you use coated strings like elixers or DR's you can get more life out of them. but as far as amp tone goes i wouldnt go as far to say old strings would drastically affect tone unless you got some bad corrosion on them...
I only change mine once every three, though your supposed to every month or two, im just lazy

Once a week though? You on tour or something?
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
my sweat's sooo like acidic... i need to change the strings alot especially if i'm gigging. There is no way my strings would last 3-8 months. I got strings all manky and dark after 2 gigs.. i know that sounds crazy but its true. Also if i'm practising alot my strings start looking and feeling bad within a week. I've only read of one other person who has this kinda problem, but if anyone else has it, let me know! dont make me feel so alone!

a bit of shinfo but i thought i'd say that.
MY DESIGN/PHOTOGRAPHY TUMBLR
Quote by SEALSniper1152

If you take a jar, and whisper what you want to hate into it, then close the jar, coat it in crunchy peanut butter, and shove it up your ass. I'm pretty sure you could hate everything after that.
On tour I believe they change them every day =S. But it's probably the lugging around will detune them.
Quote by PETERFKNPARKER
my sweat's sooo like acidic... i need to change the strings alot especially if i'm gigging. There is no way my strings would last 3-8 months. I got strings all manky and dark after 2 gigs.. i know that sounds crazy but its true. Also if i'm practising alot my strings start looking and feeling bad within a week. I've only read of one other person who has this kinda problem, but if anyone else has it, let me know! dont make me feel so alone!

a bit of shinfo but i thought i'd say that.

An old bandmate of mine years ago had the same problem. Sweaty hands and acid to boot. He also rarely wiped his guitar down after playing so his strings had dried crud on them, the back of the neck was grody and his gold plated HW looked like crap pretty quickly. Wipe your guiatr and strings down after each use to lengthen the life of your strings and keep you guiatr clean and the hardware nice.
Moving on.....
Quote by gtdude114
Definitely. Strings really start to lose their action after a few weeks, but changing strings once a week is insane. The only people that really do that are rockstars, just so they can keep their tone.

They change them every day/every gig to keep the tone

But there's no point changing them every week if you're a bedroom guitarist, mainly because of the cost of them. Strings can last up to 3 or 4 months if you clean your guitar right.
Cam Sampbell's my hero