My buddie's say active PUs are better than passive, but wouldn't it sound too metal if i want to get a rock tone? (ex. old GnR)
If you only have one axe, go for JBs.

Actually, let me put it this way. If you don't HAVE an axe with JBs, get them. This goes to everyone and anyone.
Lost interest.
I've grown tired of the actives in my Hellraiser. I think i'm gunna go with a 59/Custom or Custom 5 in the bridge. EMGs offer a really insane sound, but only if you do straight up rock or metal, and dont use cleans or roll off your volume knob constantly. For cleans...yea, they're clean, but almost too clean; like they're being run through a processor or something...I like having a little bit of dirt in my cleans when beating up on my guitar with the bridge pickup, and having it be a lot cleaner and smoother in the neck, not just REALLY clean all over.

I AM thinking of doing a 59/JB set in my RG. BTW, what guitar do you have? and what amp? EMGs will only sound really good through tube amps since they hit the front end so hard.
why would you want 2X the JB's? go for a '59 or a Jazz in the neck position.
Ibanez VBT700 V-Blade
Ibanez RG220B
Dean Vendetta 1.0
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech XMM Metal Master
Digitech RP80 Multi Effects
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
JB!

The JB thats in the bridge of my 006 screammms
Amp/Effects:

Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Tc-Electronic G-system
Line6 DM4

Guitars:

EBMM JP6 BFR
EBMM JP7
Taylor 314ce
EMG is good but it's only made for metal so if you only play heavy stuffs it's the winner.
JB is much more versatile minus the hassles of switching pots and batteries of the EMG.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 at Sep 14, 2008,
Definitely do not get 2 JB's. 1 is bad enough. It is a really thin and trebly pickup, with a rather dismal, lifeless clean tone. It's alright if you have enough gain on it, or for a trebly, punk/ska tone but that's about it. If you like the sound of it, only put one in the bridge. You'll need something with a warm, full tone to balance it out in the neck. A '59 would be great.

Also the JB will not do GnR well, seeing as you'd need a warm, P.AF. type humbucker. The JB is just way too trebly for it.

In my opinion it is a very over rated pickup.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Last edited by Checker at Sep 14, 2008,
i would definitely get the JBs.
EMGs just get this one type of sound, JBs are much more versatile.
plus i can pull off the metallica sound with samarium cobalt noiseless pickups(single coil)through a fender blues junior and a metal master. so JBs will do just fine
I have a Hellraiser with EMG's and they are great for pure rock and metal, as stated. For versatility i'd go with the SD. But if you've got tons of extra cash lying around, get both
For the guitar,
Im choosing between the LTD EC-400VF ( which comes with JB's and '59s) and the LTD EC-500 (which comes with EMG 81/60's).

My amp is probably something you never heard of, its a Practice MRW SED-15R (15 watt).

To clear stuff up, I'm talking about a pickup for my bridge, which I will mostly use.
Quote by Checker
Definitely do not get 2 JB's. 1 is bad enough. It is a really thin and trebly pickup, with a rather dismal, lifeless clean tone. It's alright if you have enough gain on it, or for a trebly, punk/ska tone but that's about it. If you like the sound of it, only put one in the bridge. You'll need something with a warm, full tone to balance it out in the neck. A '59 would be great.

Also the JB will not do GnR well, seeing as you'd need a warm, P.AF. type humbucker. The JB is just way too trebly for it.

In my opinion it is a very over rated pickup.

This.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Marx_rain
For the guitar,
Im choosing between the LTD EC-400VF ( which comes with JB's and '59s) and the LTD EC-500 (which comes with EMG 81/60's).

My amp is probably something you never heard of, its a Practice MRW SED-15R (15 watt).

To clear stuff up, I'm talking about a pickup for my bridge, which I will mostly use.

Don't even bother with a pickup swap.
It's not going to make a big difference, not with your amp. You may not even notice a difference.

Save up for a new amp.
Go with the JB's for the tone that u r going for lol I mean i love EMG's but for the tone u want go with the JBs all the way
buy sd blackouts if you want non-metal but high gain pickups. great for hard rock. passives are more versatile though.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by nido
Its personal preference Ive heard some good tone for guns n roses stuff done with EMG pickups http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlSeFhYUX0g

Excuse me but that tone was not a good tone by my book. Still full of the typical EMG dull tone and there's no dynamic about it.

I tried to pull off GnR tones out of my ESP/LTD with EMG. I failed. Could do it with my old Edwards with Seymour Duncans, though.

ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by forsaknazrael
Don't even bother with a pickup swap.
It's not going to make a big difference, not with your amp. You may not even notice a difference.

Save up for a new amp.

Oh, problem is, I'm only renting an Epiphone Standard, it needs to be returned by Oct. 3 so I need opinions on what guitar to get. (I'm just stating the pick-ups since the only difference between ec 400/500 are the colors/PUs)

As for the amp, my school has a couple of Peavey's/Marshall's/MesaBoogie's so I'm not using my generic amp most of the time. Sorry if I forgot to add this earlier.
Last edited by Marx_rain at Sep 14, 2008,
Even then, those school amps aren't going to be the basis of your tone. Ideally, you'll buy an amp suited for you. So don't worry about changing pickups to tweak your tone. (That's right, tweak. Changing pickups isn't just for straight up improving it, it's for make slight alterations to your "ideal" tone.)

Get the passive LTD, anyway. It'll work better with some of the solid state amps you'll be using.
Quote by tsukoyomimoon
You guys are confusing me, by JB don't we mean the 59'/Jazz set?

No, we mean the Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB Model.

'59/Jazz is a completely different animal
Quote by hminh87
Excuse me but that tone was not a good tone by my book. Still full of the typical EMG dull tone and there's no dynamic about it.

I tried to pull off GnR tones out of my ESP/LTD with EMG. I failed. Could do it with my old Edwards with Seymour Duncans, though.

The EMG isnt vintage voiced or open sounding Ill agree on that.That video has a kickass full tone tho it shows that tweaking can take you a long way, you seem to be in a emg generalization hatred group and its only limiting your vision dude.
Last edited by nido at Sep 15, 2008,
Quote by Marx_rain
My buddie's say active PUs are better than passive, but wouldn't it sound too metal if i want to get a rock tone? (ex. old GnR)

yes. your buddies are 'tards. EDIT: if you ask me, even the jb is way too hot for rock like g n r. but it'd be better than the emg, if those are your only two options.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I had EMG's in my Eclipse and I didnt care for them to much. I replaced them with 59/JB.

Now Im
Why do people keep going on about "JBs"??? It's doing my head in, the JB is primarily a bridge pickup, you buy ONE of them...singular..."a JB" or "the JB".

Can I just point out that I have no idea why it pisses me off so much, but it does

TS, what kind of tone are you looking for - you've picked two pretty different pickups there, no doubt out of thin air. What kind of tone are you looking to get from your guitar, bearing in mind all the stuff that's already been bandied around about amps.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by tsukoyomimoon
Get the JBs
Especially if your guitar has coil tap

If not, fit one. Not too hard, switch, two wires, a hole, soldering iron, solder. Done.
Ug's Stupidest Member of the Year - 2005
Quote by Idiosyncracy
No, we mean the Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB Model.

'59/Jazz is a completely different animal

Thank you I was confused.
Now that's cleared up I still agree you should get the JB
The 59'/Jazz is awesome too
Quote by steven seagull
Why do people keep going on about "JBs"??? It's doing my head in, the JB is primarily a bridge pickup, you buy ONE of them...singular..."a JB" or "the JB".

Can I just point out that I have no idea why it pisses me off so much, but it does

TS, what kind of tone are you looking for - you've picked two pretty different pickups there, no doubt out of thin air. What kind of tone are you looking to get from your guitar, bearing in mind all the stuff that's already been bandied around about amps.

Oh sorry, I was generalizing on the type of Pickup, not that I'm putting two of them on the guitar.

I'm looking for a basic Classic Rock tone. I know JB's are high output but the guitars I'm probably going to get comes with the pickups installed.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-EC400VF?sku=512884
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-EC500-With-EMG-Pickups?sku=512885

Should I get either one of these or get another guitar?
Quote by nido
The EMG isnt vintage voiced or open sounding Ill agree on that.That video has a kickass full tone tho it shows that tweaking can take you a long way, you seem to be in a emg generalization hatred group and its only limiting your vision dude.

Dude... I own a frigging guitar with a pair of ZW EMG. I know what i'm talking about.
You have to know one thing that EMG is WAY overrated in UG. They're perfect for heavy type of music but only decent so-so on everything else.

And I don't hate or dislike EMG ...

ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by hminh87

tone is fine, his playing lacks the dynamics u speak of
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Quote by Marx_rain
Oh sorry, I was generalizing on the type of Pickup, not that I'm putting two of them on the guitar.

I'm looking for a basic Classic Rock tone. I know JB's are high output but the guitars I'm probably going to get comes with the pickups installed.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-EC400VF?sku=512884
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-EC500-With-EMG-Pickups?sku=512885

Should I get either one of these or get another guitar?

if it comes stock, there's not much you can do, if that's the guitar you want. problem is, most guitars with duncans do have a JB. some have a custom custom (some washburns) which might be worth considering, the CC is a little more vintage-sounding. EDIT: get the guitar you like though, pickups can be changed.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?