Many people on these forums (and others I've spoken with, including dealers) tend to think that the older Les Paul Studios are significantly better than the new ones. I've been thinking about going the used route as I do not want to spend 2 grand on a Standard but would still like a Les Paul of high quality.

Is it true the 90s Studios are pretty close to the Standards of the time, except without the bling? Is buying used the way to go in this regard?
Quote by jw99
Many people on these forums (and others I've spoken with, including dealers) tend to think that the older Les Paul Studios are significantly better than the new ones. I've been thinking about going the used route as I do not want to spend 2 grand on a Standard but would still like a Les Paul of high quality.

Is it true the 90s Studios are pretty close to the Standards of the time, except without the bling? Is buying used the way to go in this regard?

What's your budget? A used standard in good condition with the ohsc often goes for under $1100 USD on eBay.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
I've considered checking for the Les Paul Standard but most used ones I've seen are still a bit much. I was hoping the older Studios could measure up and save me some cash. I'm also considering going the SG Standard route. From personal experience, is the SG Standard superior to the Studio in most regards?

I've also considered the LTD EC1000 and the Epiphone Elitist but there are none anywhere in my area to test drive.