Hello everyone, let me provide some backstory before I start asking questions. I own a Spector Performer 4, in holoflash finish. It was discontinued about a year ago, and the finish ran for only the last few months of production. It sold new for $400, used for $250. Mine is in great condition. I have been attempting to sell it for $400 despite being used because of its rareness. I am sure that lowering its price will not help sales, all offers for the bass have been either scams or lowballs. All offers I have made to other people for trades have been answered with either "i am looking for cash only" or "I would like to but I don't play bass." Business has been sterile at best.

Why am I plugging the instrument I am selling into the story? Well, I found someone who is willing to swap. She is offering me an Epiphone Standard Les Paul (not plus top) in cherry sunburst. The issue is that it had a broken headstock (shipping incident). She repaired it using the methods mentioned here.

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/crack.htm

She said that "a luthier friend monitered the repair." She said that it broke above the nut, so no trussrod issues. I am going to look at the guitar tomorrow.

Questions

#1: Should I worry about the headstock?
#2: What should I look for when I play the guitar considering the structural damage?
#3: Is this a good trade?

Now for something slightly related.

If I do get the les paul, I intend to mod it considerably. I am thinking of changing the pickups and adding a bigsby, any other mods I can do to customize it?

Thanks a bundle in advance.

Edit: wrong link
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Last edited by kranoscorp at Sep 14, 2008,
don't do it
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
hmmm there have been alot of probloms with the head stocks latley.i own the ebony standard and love it. i am think about changeing the pick ups too.
So thats it? Just refuse the offer?
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
i would say no because of how major the damage was, just wait and youll find someone wanting to trade for something you want
GUITAR: Gibson Les Paul Special
AMP:Fender Vibro Champ XD
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
USMC
Ok, I told the buyer I was not interested. My last question has yet to be answered, though.

If I do get the les paul, I intend to mod it considerably. I am thinking of changing the pickups and adding a bigsby, any other mods I can do to customize it?

I know I am not getting this les paul, but I will get one eventualy.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
change the pots and switch, maybe tuners, then the rest would just be cosmetic besides on board effects
GUITAR: Gibson Les Paul Special
AMP:Fender Vibro Champ XD
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
USMC
A lot of people seem to complain about the tuners, good locking tuners never hurt.