Prior to the invention of the internet and not having access to websites such as this one to share tabs, video lessons, their own music etc learning guitar would have been a slower process... especially for people who dont take paid lessons without the net ??? Has the internet produced better guitarists plus considering some of our great guitarists (Hendrix, clapton, page, blackmore etc) learnt without the net ... the guitarist of today has so many resources at there feet its mind boggling the possibilities for learning for the cost of internet service provider... the web has connected us all and prior to it and wind the clock back many people on these websites would never be in contact ... its a great time to be a guitarist!

cheers
shaggs
There's a difference between "learning the guitar" and "learning to play covers".

Generally speaking, learning covers from tabs is the worst way to start guitar, and I blame the interwebs for all the idiot mates I have that think they can come along and jam because they can play the "Hey Joe" solo, only to be in over their depth when they DO jam.
I would say not. The people that had to learn without this sort of aid were the ones that were truly all about the guitar. Thus more serious. I can personally say that I suck. I can play, but I'm not all that into it, which makes the product I create not all that it could be. I believe it makes serious guitarists much better, much faster, but it also tricks hobbyists into thinking they're better, thus the over saturation of poor musicians.

Just my opinion.
the internet has made being a guitarist easy. if you read biographies of the great musicians, they spent eight hours a day going over records and figuring out songs on their own. thats how they learned and made their own style of guitar. that kind of ear training and hard work is something we dont have to do anymore, but it makes better guitarists. with the internet, we are all like overpriveleged kids who grow up rich and always have money. we dont have to work for it, and our guitar playing suffers.
I have no opinion on this matter.
I don't think the internet has had much an effect, all you really need are scales and chords to play the guitar which were easily available before the internet, it has helped with learning other peoples music but I would argue all the tab takes away from theory a lot as well.
Mr. Butlertron are you A handsome B smart C scrap metal or D all of the above
Scangrade thats easy I'm A and B but not C, so it can't be all of the above, but you can't fill in two ovals Nooo!
Mr. Butlertron the answer is C... you fuckwad
not really because instead of going on the pit all day they actually played gutiar, i woudl much rather learn in like the 80s or something than now with all the distractions
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Hm, that's true.

Without the interwebz I wouldn't have guitar skills or lulz

I was thinking today..
What if I had to choose 1 type of service. (ie. Internet, cable tv, phone)
I'd def. pick the internet.
It's all in one but times 10.

Quote by gallagher2006
There's a difference between "learning the guitar" and "learning to play covers".

Generally speaking, learning covers from tabs is the worst way to start guitar, and I blame the interwebs for all the idiot mates I have that think they can come along and jam because they can play the "Hey Joe" solo, only to be in over their depth when they DO jam.

Right, learning scales and boring-as-hell practices definitely makes a new guitarist want to keep playing.

You use tabs of covers to familiarize yourself with your instrument, and to teach you basic skills.

Playing scaled and chords is NOT the way anyone should have to start playing guitar.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
It is easier with internet. No way I could of done it without. But origionally learnt song off recordings and ty / radio by ear. That a diferent and possibly deeper skill.
Quote by Zugunruhe
the internet has made being a guitarist easy. if you read biographies of the great musicians, they spent eight hours a day going over records and figuring out songs on their own. thats how they learned and made their own style of guitar. that kind of ear training and hard work is something we dont have to do anymore, but it makes better guitarists. with the internet, we are all like overpriveleged kids who grow up rich and always have money. we dont have to work for it, and our guitar playing suffers.

speak for yourself. The internet gives a wide variety of songs to listen to for free (technically illegally but...) and you can also listen to live improvisations from guitarists and learn those as well. Anyone that uses tabs is probably doing it the hard way because learning by tabs is boring and it usually takes longer for me than learning by ear. Playing by ear can also be applicable to other instruments and allows you to learn songs that other people haven't tabbed and allows you to create your own music from stuff you imagine in your head. It's also useful to learn by ear for when you've got no internet (like when I was at uni).
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
The video leasons on the internet can help a beginner alot. I didn't have the internet back when I started and didn't have money for leasons. It took me a while to learn things that kids are playing after a couple months with the help of the net. The net can help you learn faster if you can stay out of the pit long enough to watch the videos and practice alot.
I began playing before the internet came along. The net can be a useful tool. However.........I do sometimes find myself reading about playing guitar more than actually playing. Kinda like right now.
i think the internet allows more people to be able to play more songs thus making them seem like better guitarists and technically yeah the internet helps more guitarists become more techinically more proficient, but it pretty much killed originality... it seems like almost everyone now learns songs other people wrote the easy way and how good someone is at guitar has become a challenge revolving around how many songs you can play...few people sit down and actually figure a song out anymore and few people just sit down and jam out to their own material anymore as well...i dunno, whatever floats your boat i guess, its all for fun anyway and as long as your having fun playing guitar its all good!
Member of UG's gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join.
I'm pretty sure the internet invented guitar. Gonna have to double check with wiki but I'm pretty sure.
Quote by Zugunruhe

i would say that regardless of how you learn, it does take hard work to become an accomplished guitarist. having the lessons online are probably the greatest thing to ever happen to guitarists. not only do you not have to pay for lessons anymore, but you can look up your favorite guitarists and see exactly how they play your favorite song or lick.

that kind of practice wasn't available to guitarists who learned before internet and i personally think that the internet generation of guitarists will be better than the previous generation because of this help.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Well, I learned two years without internet, and I find my playing improved tenfold once I connected. The multitude of advice, lessons and diagrams (most from this site, ironically), were invaluable.