I found a basic drum track I like to jam along to in GP5 and I want to open it in Audacity. I've deleted all the other instruments from Guitar Pro so it's only a drum track at the moment. But Audacity gives me an error, whether I do "import midi" "import raw data" or just "import." Is there an easy way to do this without just recording the drums?

Thanks
Well that sucks. I have a cheap mic and the drums sound like total garbage after being recorded. Really wish there was a way I could just open up the original file with audacity instead of losing 95% of the sound quality
Quote by saphrax
Fixed.

I'd say it's better to have all your source files in the same format.

No, the person you quoted was correct.

Quote by drewfromutah
Well that sucks. I have a cheap mic and the drums sound like total garbage after being recorded. Really wish there was a way I could just open up the original file with audacity instead of losing 95% of the sound quality

Export the MIDI.

Do it!

If you have a decent instrument playing the MIDI track, you'll GAIN sound quality!
Quote by sargasm
Export the MIDI.

Do it!

If you have a decent instrument playing the MIDI track, you'll GAIN sound quality!

I actually did export the midi, but like I said above, audacity won't actually play midi files.
you could get blaze media pro and convert the MIDI to a mp3.

i can't say how to get it the program though.
The best thing about life is knowing you put it together
Quote by drewfromutah
I actually did export the midi, but like I said above, audacity won't actually play midi files.

Woah, I never knew that.

My suggestion in that case would be to get better software.
Quote by drewfromutah
Thanks

no problem
The best thing about life is knowing you put it together
Quote by sargasm
Woah, I never knew that.

My suggestion in that case would be to get better software.

There must be a way of getting Audacity to output MIDI to speakers. By default it wants to control a MIDI device (which would make the claim of improving sound quality very much true). Somewhere there must be some sort of addon to do this.
Yeah. It's very frustrating. I found a free program to convert MIDI to MP3 -- however the MP3 file is completely silent. There's no way it should be this much of a hassle.
Do this:
Go to the volume control of windows, options, properties, recording. Now pick "Wave Out Mix".
Now go to audacity, hit record, and play the file in GP5. Audacity will record whatever your PC plays. Close all the programs that make noises, since they will be recorded to.
Now switch back to microphone, and you're set.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by urik
Do this:
Go to the volume control of windows, options, properties, recording. Now pick "Wave Out Mix".
Now go to audacity, hit record, and play the file in GP5. Audacity will record whatever your PC plays. Close all the programs that make noises, since they will be recorded to.

If this works, I will kiss you. I don't have a "Wave Out Mix," only "Stereo Mix" and "TAD in" "Auxiliary" "Microphone" and "Line In." Should I do Stereo Mix?
Quote by urik
Do this:

+1
two and a half men.
Quote by saphrax
There must be a way of getting Audacity to output MIDI to speakers. By default it wants to control a MIDI device (which would make the claim of improving sound quality very much true). Somewhere there must be some sort of addon to do this.

How would it output MIDI to speakers? A midi track has to drive an instrument. It isn't audio.
Quote by drewfromutah
If this works, I will kiss you. I don't have a "Wave Out Mix," only "Stereo Mix" and "TAD in" "Auxiliary" "Microphone" and "Line In." Should I do Stereo Mix?

Yup. I think that it depends on your soundcard. But it's Stereo Mix. It was in my previous one.

And it works .

It's also a great way to broadcast music. You open microphone talk on some chatting program, you pick stereo mix, and play the song. However, you have to mute the other man, since other wise he will hear back all the sounds that his PC sends (since your PC sends back whatever it hears).
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by urik
Yup. I think that it depends on your soundcard. But it's Stereo Mix. It was in my previous one.

And it works .

It's also a great way to broadcast music. You open microphone talk on some chatting program, you pick stereo mix, and play the song. However, you have to mute the other man, since other wise he will hear back all the sounds that his PC sends (since your PC sends back whatever it hears).

I did that, however Audacity won't record if my mic isn't plugged in. I've switched the input decide in Aud. to a few different things and no dice.
Quote by drewfromutah
I did that, however Audacity won't record if my mic isn't plugged in. I've switched the input decide in Aud. to a few different things and no dice.

Did you put "Stereo Mix" in Audacity? Weird. It works for me and all my friends .
Crap, I was already having my garlic dose for our kiss .
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

I did what urik suggested and it works fine, just had to unplug my mic. Learn something new everyday I guess, so thank you, urik.
This is my signature... And yes this is the most original thing... ever.
Gear:
Guitars
Epiphone Dot
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG2EX1

Amps
Roland Cube 30X

Pedals
DOD FX25-B Envelope Filter
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Big Muff Pi