I was thinking about this today... is it just the wood? But, if that was it, wouldn't a mahogany strat(w/ humbuckers) sound like a les paul?

Does the shape contribute to the sound?

Any input on this subject is greatly appreciated, seeing as i'm confused at the moment. Lol.
O O

___
Nice pickups. AND It's not Just the wood. It's the fact that their so solid. Which is why they are so heavy (atleast older ones.) Also I think the Maple Veneer top adds to the sound a tad.
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Ibanez Rg440 Roadster II Series
Gibson Flying V
SE Custom Paul Allender edition
Frankenstrat Replica (that I made)
Guild Madeira Nylon acoustic.
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
the combination of all the pieces. the fact that the head slants down gives it better sustain, the type of wood, the shape, the pickups, the fact that its not chambered, etc.
Mostly the weight and girth of it. This is why the new chambered ones that GIbson's putting out suck.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Body wood, pickups, finish, neck.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
the pure weight and density of it. plus really hot pickups.
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
The big parts in the classic Les Paul tone:
Thick mahogany body and maple top- Ever played an SG? Has almost the same amout of mahogany as a Les Paul, but it doesn't sound like a Les Paul. The thick maple top is a big part of the tone.
2. Pickups- Some nice PAF pickups is a big part in the tone. My Les Paul didn't really capture that classic Les Paul tone until I put my Bareknuckles on it.
3. Solid body- Les Paul don't have tremolos and the classic tone is from a solid body Les Paul.
4. Neck- The Les Paul has a shorter scale and a set mahogany neck, which does contribute to the tone.

But yeah a Strat with humbuckers and a mahogany/maple body will sound pretty close!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Checker
Mostly the weight and girth of it. This is why the new chambered ones that GIbson's putting out suck.

agreed
Quote by monkeysintheday
I have trained a live tarantula to calm and sit on my guitar due to the awesome powers of my rocking. When I am not playing it angrily bounces about my room hitting everything that isn't me.

Quote by stef123

rageagainst64 you are a legend!
and they get sustain from having their necks set in rather than bolted on
Peace , Love , Death Metal

Quote by Super_Duper_Guy
It probably started at $55 but then he thought "You know what? F&*$ them. 1 dollar extra. pwned noobs."
That bastard...
The type of wood used in the body and neck.

The shape to a degree because the body resonates and standing waves will form in it where they can.

the pickups - amount of turns and the shape, weight, and magnetism of the core.

everything effects sound. a strat with humbuckers and mahogany body probably wouldn't sound the same, but it's hard to say.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
The boatload of money you spend to buy it makes you think it sounds like jesus. Also, Gibson has been upgrading the same sound for a pretty long time, so that makes it better than say a new company that isnt popular.
The 18 tons it weights
Because people that buy LPs have nice amps
Because it's a les paul, if it were a strat it would be a strat tone, but since it is a les paul it's a les paul tone
Burstbuckers. Nuff said.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by tsukoyomimoon
Because it's a les paul, if it were a strat it would be a strat tone, but since it is a les paul it's a les paul tone
But, it's the wood that gives the 'strat' and 'LP' tones... but if a strat was made out of Mahogany... it wouldn't have too much 'strat' tone now would it?
O O

___
Quote by TheBax
But, it's the wood that gives the 'strat' and 'LP' tones... but if a strat was made out of Mahogany... it wouldn't have too much 'strat' tone now would it?

Yeah it would, cos it'd still be called a Strat. I could build a guitar right now, and it'd be made to Les Paul specs, and it'd have a Cody Grey made guitar tone.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by TheBax

What if Gibson would have made a basswood Les Paul?
It would be a Les Paul sound, because, what's the name of the guitar?
That's right
Quote by Checker

yep. Solid LP >>>>>> chambered LP. I like the Epi LP ultra/ultra II, but gibson should have just left them solid except for a certain model.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by tsukoyomimoon
What if Gibson would have made a basswood Les Paul?
It would be a Les Paul sound, because, what's the name of the guitar?
That's right

*grabs sandpaper and my Squier's headstock* Quickly, fetch me a crayon. We must test this theory.
Quote by Kikral
*grabs sandpaper and my Squier's headstock* Quickly, fetch me a crayon. We must test this theory.

O O

___
Quote by Kikral

Lmao
A squier is a squier and it will always sound squier-ish
Quote by Kikral

LOL! wow, that is one of the funniest things i've read in here for a while.

I hearby award you the 'Funny Comment of The Day' award!
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Quote by ToxicConfusion
Strings. without them, there's no sound

a human, without them the strings wont make a sound
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15