Page 1 of 2
I've got a Gibson Les Paul Standard, and i'm dissatisfied with the pickups that came with it. i play mostly metal, and im not really limited by budget. I've never really looked into pickups or anything like that, and i need some help. Thanks in advance.
Quote by mcrfobtai
What "Marshall Half Stck" do you have?

i'm not really sure. im fairly new to guitar, and it was my dad's in the 80's.
Is it MG? if not then your good to go , Id look for passives some high output symour duncans, or for actives, emgs
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

EMG 81 in bridge 85 in neck
Gear:

07 Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany
90-91 Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Strat
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Marshall TSL601 Combo
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Tu-2
Quote by (Metal)lica
Is it MG? if not then your good to go , Id look for passives some high output symour duncans, or for actives, emgs

my dad says its not and frankly, i have no clue what you said about passives and actives.
Quote by landerson
i'm not really sure. im fairly new to guitar, and it was my dad's in the 80's.

I'm curious about this amp

What does the front control panel look like (the gold panel)?

Does it say anything on it? Is it brushed metal or plexiglas? Just out of curiosity, I like to hear about older amps...
^ about $200
Ibanez VBT700 V-Blade
Ibanez RG220B
Dean Vendetta 1.0
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech XMM Metal Master
Digitech RP80 Multi Effects
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Can some1 describe passives/actives to him, I'll probably sound like a complete moron, I know someone could probably do better
Quote by Le_Bunny

Quote by (Metal)lica

Marshall didn't make MGs in the '80s.

TS, Look at the front of it. It should say some letters and numbers. Tell us what they are.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by (Metal)lica
Can some1 describe passives/actives to him, I'll probably sound like a complete moron, I know someone could probably do better

Actives have battery powered pre-amps built in.

Passives don't, thus actives generally have more punch and higher output.

They sound sterile as shit though.
Quote by Haha, Crackhead
Marshall didn't make MGs in the '80s.

TS, Look at the front of it. It should say some letters and numbers. Tell us what they are.

its at my dads house...
Check out:

Seymour Duncan

Dimarzio

Two very popular companies, listen to the sound samples
Amp/Effects:

Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Tc-Electronic G-system
Line6 DM4

Guitars:

EBMM JP6 BFR
EBMM JP7
Taylor 314ce
yay! it's a great amp, but even with high output pickups, i won't do modern metal (if that's what you're after).
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Nice!
Great amp.
What kind of metal do you play?
Thrash, power, death?
I think EMG's are overrated and from what I can tell, you are probably gonna need a tech to help you out, especially if your guitar needs to be routed to fit the battery. Look at some high output passives. X2N possibly?
Quote by landerson
he says jcm 800

DUDE I'm jelous, holy ****, GIVE ME NAO
Quote by Le_Bunny

Quote by UnsignedRecords
yay! it's a great amp, but even with high output pickups, i won't do modern metal (if that's what you're after).

yeah. but im still not sure what pickups would be best..
Well, you could always just get an overdrive/distortion pedal that will give you your specific metal sound, IMO, that will suit you better than new pickups
Quote by Le_Bunny

Quote by landerson
he says jcm 800

Sorry for being nosy but would it happen to be a 2 channel, or one channel, vertical or horizontal input? Haha, I can't help myself when it comes to older Marshalls, I always have to know details.
Quote by (Metal)lica
Well, you could always just get an overdrive/distortion pedal that will give you your specific metal sound, IMO, that will suit you better than new pickups

i think i might do this. pedal suggestions anyone?
Quote by al112987
Sorry for being nosy but would it happen to be a 2 channel, or one channel, vertical or horizontal input? Haha, I can't help myself when it comes to older Marshalls, I always have to know details.

you're just gunna make me call my dad over and over aren't you?
Quote by landerson
you're just gunna make me call my dad over and over aren't you?

, you don't have to, I'm just being nosy and curious. Too much talk about Bugeras, Peaveys, Mesas, etc. and too little Marshall on these boards, I couldn't resist.
Quote by mcrfobtai
Probably. I'm very interested too. Can he send you a picture or something?

i dunno... my dads not neccesarily a big computer guy.
DANG a vintage Gibson Les Paul and a vintage (I'm guessing) JCM 800. I'd probably keep it like that, but that's just me. You're already set for gear dude. That amps legendary. I want one.

But about the pickups. Hmm, I guess it's what kind of metal you're into. But if you keep playing for a while and get more experience then you'll figure out what kind of tone you'll want.
Quote by Mockingbird452
DANG a vintage Gibson Les Paul and a vintage (I'm guessing) JCM 800. I'd probably keep it like that, but that's just me. You're already set for gear dude. That amps legendary. I want one.

But about the pickups. Hmm, I guess it's what kind of metal you're into. But if you keep playing for a while and get more experience then you'll figure out what kind of tone you'll want.

thanks. i think i'll keep things how they are for now then. =]
Quote by mcrfobtai
Yeah, you must be crazzy trying to mod a setup like that. If you want more gain, try an od to boost it.

thanks. i've decided upon leaving them how they are, and i might get a pedal.
Quote by mcrfobtai
Yeah, you must be crazzy trying to mod a setup like that. If you want more gain, try an od to boost it.

I mean, its just a set of pickups.

TS: if the les paul is old, what year is it, do you know? or the serial number?
Quote by al112987
I mean, its just a set of pickups.

TS: if the les paul is old, what year is it, do you know? or the serial number?

i don't have the slightest clue what year it is actually.
Page 1 of 2