Well I'm trying to write a little instrumental, I'm writing it out in power tab. I'm kind of stuck as to how I should move this along, this is the very first piece of music I have ever put together. I'm proud of it, so please don't bash me if you think it's horrible, just give me some suggestions, I'd appreciate that. Now I'm not too good on music theory, at all actually, so is the first note or chord I play is what key the song is in? If someone could take a look and tell me. Oh and while we're at it, if someone can suggest scales to use to make a solo for this song?

Oh and I only got like 45 sec into making it, so it's still a baby

edit: I'll just keep updating this as I go along..

Project Song
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
Last edited by RabbidWolf at Sep 15, 2008,
The first chord isn't nessesarly the key of the song, however, in this case it is. The key for this song is C Major. You could also make the key of the song A Minor (A is the relative minor key of C Major). The most obvious scale choises for soloing over this would be A Minor Pentatonic, C Major Pentatonic, A Natural Minor and C Major.

I really do like the song so far. It reminds me of some of the first instrumentals I wrote. A problem you often run into when writing instrumentals is not knowing where to go (in other songs, the variation can be in the vocals, which can allow you to play the same riffs over and over).

I could tell you a few things I think you could do with the song, but first you need to tell me a little more about where you plan to go with it.

Are you going to add an overdriven/distorted guitar or keep it clean/acoustic?

What kind of a solo will you be playing (shreddy, bluesy, etc.)

Answering questions like this will help me and other people guide you in a generall direction of where to take this song. However, remember that this is your song. Make sure your expressing yourself through the song and not someone else's idea. Use the advice you get as stepping stones for your own expression.

Once again I really like this track so far, and please let me know if you would like anymore help or feedback.
Quote by mccabe24
The first chord isn't nessesarly the key of the song, however, in this case it is. The key for this song is C Major. You could also make the key of the song A Minor (A is the relative minor key of C Major). The most obvious scale choises for soloing over this would be A Minor Pentatonic, C Major Pentatonic, A Natural Minor and C Major.

I really do like the song so far. It reminds me of some of the first instrumentals I wrote. A problem you often run into when writing instrumentals is not knowing where to go (in other songs, the variation can be in the vocals, which can allow you to play the same riffs over and over).

I could tell you a few things I think you could do with the song, but first you need to tell me a little more about where you plan to go with it.

Are you going to add an overdriven/distorted guitar or keep it clean/acoustic?

What kind of a solo will you be playing (shreddy, bluesy, etc.)

Answering questions like this will help me and other people guide you in a generall direction of where to take this song. However, remember that this is your song. Make sure your expressing yourself through the song and not someone else's idea. Use the advice you get as stepping stones for your own expression.

Once again I really like this track so far, and please let me know if you would like anymore help or feedback.

First off, thanks for the feedback so much!

As for where I wanna go, I'd like to keep it acoustic through most of it, with just like a couple bits of it with a distorted guitar, think of Fade to Black song structure. And then for the solos I want a mix of shred and blues.
I don't have Power Tab, so I didn't get to look at it, but you basically want the lead to be Kirk Hammett-esque? If you wanna do it kind of like that, then I'd strongly suggest a Dorian Mode... Hammett loved that mode until after the Black Album. When I first learned The Unforgiven, I didn't even know that he was using Dorian, but that's got it's place in a lot of Metallica songs. But you've gotta use modes in the right context. If you're song is in C, you're not gonna start playing C Phrygian (a minor scale).

Good luck with the song. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Quote by Page&HammettFan
I don't have Power Tab, so I didn't get to look at it, but you basically want the lead to be Kirk Hammett-esque? If you wanna do it kind of like that, then I'd strongly suggest a Dorian Mode... Hammett loved that mode until after the Black Album. When I first learned The Unforgiven, I didn't even know that he was using Dorian, but that's got it's place in a lot of Metallica songs. But you've gotta use modes in the right context. If you're song is in C, you're not gonna start playing C Phrygian (a minor scale).

Good luck with the song. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Kind of like post Black album Hammet I guess is the sound I'm looking for. Ya I'll definitely check that out.

You know Power Tab is free? and it's way awesome dude, or I just got TuxGuitar, it's a free version of guitar pro pretty much, I got it at download.com, plays power tab and guitar pro files.

well I just wrote a little solo to the song, having trouble ending the solo, here it is now. http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/10/1/1475545/Project%20Song.tg
^
If you can record it some kind of way so that I can hear, I'd love to comment. To be honest, though, my computer is really really slow, and I don't wanna add any files, free or not It's slow enough already. I'm just trying to replace it.

Congrats on coming up with more. If you're looking for post-Black album stuff, I'll get back and comment either in your profile or in this thread, or both. I'm not too familiar with any of that, so I'll need to listen to a few of those songs to give any kind of educated opinion on where to go with it.

A cool thing might be blending some of the styles, though. Take something like the intro to the Call of Ktulu (how the hell do you pronounce that?) and blend it with something like the volume swells that they did later on. Swell solos are cool as hell, but you can't overdo it too much. It eventually gets a bit too repetitive (which means you've gotta make the ones that you do really good!). But do something like those arpeggios that they did on Ktulu and mix it with something like Fade to Black. Try ascending/descending lines. The easiest way to do that is to come up with a main melody, and then come up with the harmony to that first line, and maybe another melody an octave lower. That the easiest way for me, anyway. Also try moving one shape around combining open strings with that movement. That can create some cool ideas.

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Last edited by Page&HammettFan at Sep 16, 2008,
^ Have you got guitar pro?

You can import PT files into GP without having PT...(Sorry if that's stupid and you already know...)

Cheers,

Dan
Gear List;

Laney VH100R with Matching Cab
Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
BC Rich Neck Thru Warlock
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
^
Nah. I've never gotten around to really getting anything like that because, frankly, I don't look at TABs all that much. So I've always figured that I didn't really need to do that.