Can someone please point me in a genre of music that is a older classical type of music music that sounds very creepy and sinister. I am looking for some new insiration to incorperate into my music.

Artist names would be appreciated
well maybe u can give me some ideas of some odd genres of music and or how to make evil sounding music
i mean liike guitar riffs i don't have trouble coming up with evil sounding chords its the riffs i am having trouble with
First thing that came to mind was Opeth. Check out Death Metal, Black Metal (Symphonic can sound very evil) and things of that nature.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Check out Amorphis - anything from Karellian Isthmus to Tuonela. Even their pretty stuff has this extreme underlying darkness to my ears, which is of course totally rocks. One of my favorite bands of all time.
Quote by Idiosyncracy
Locrian mode for sinister sounds for the win.

Locrian is borderline non-existent outside of jazz, and doesn't really sound "sinister".
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Try the Cramps. But dont go for the obvious stuff.. Or THe Stranglers, Again, not the obvious stuff, Try men in black by The Stranglers. And Maybe Goo goo muck by the Cramps.
I'm assuming you mean riffs for metal, right?

If so try adding the flat fifth in riffs.

Also, many death,black and thrash metal bands use the Phrygian mode for riffs.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Locrian is borderline non-existent outside of jazz, and doesn't really sound "sinister".

That really depends on what key you're playing it in. The locrian mode of a flatted key sounds pretty badass for metal riffs IMHO.
Quote by Idiosyncracy
That really depends on what key you're playing it in. The locrian mode of a flatted key sounds pretty badass for metal riffs IMHO.

The key you're playing in has no bearing on the sound of locrian.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
The key you're playing in has no bearing on the sound of locrian.

Form-wise, no. But try it sometime.

And just for the record, I'm not going to get into an argument, because I just learned about this in my theory class, so please don't test me and my pain killers.
Whilst performing, Dead would often cut himself with hunting knives and broken glass. He carried around a dead crow in a jar, which he would smell in order to sing "with the stench of death in his nostrils."[6] Additionally, the band often had pig or sheep heads impaled on stakes and planted at the front of their stage.[6]

Try that
Quote by Idiosyncracy
Form-wise, no. But try it sometime.

And just for the record, I'm not going to get into an argument, because I just learned about this in my theory class, so please don't test me and my pain killers.

Guitar utilizes equal temperament. Changing keys isn't going to make locrian more or less "menacing".
Quote by Archeo Avis
Guitar utilizes equal temperament. Changing keys isn't going to make locrian more or less "menacing".

Whatever, you're opinion versus mine, I don't really care. I was just trying to be helpful and not be "holier than thou" as you clearly are trying to be.
Quote by Idiosyncracy
Whatever, you're opinion versus mine, I don't really care. I was just trying to be helpful and not be "holier than thou" as you clearly are trying to be.

Oh, Jesus Christ. You made a statement that was incorrect, and you were corrected. Get off your Goddamn cross. Opinion has nothing to do with this.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Oh, Jesus Christ. You made a statement that was incorrect, and you were corrected. Get off your Goddamn cross. Opinion has nothing to do with this.

Are you retarded? I stated my opinion, you proceeded to dismiss my opinion as wrong, which technically is illogical, because it was a damned opinion. Please die now. Reported.
Quote by Idiosyncracy
Unless the listener has perfect pitch, Arch is right.

And for wishing death upon my good friend Archeo Avis, you are *reported.*
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Unless the listener has perfect pitch, Arch is right.

And for wishing death upon my good friend Archeo Avis, you are *reported.*

Okay then! Let's just all report each other on a ****ing opinion!

Don't even start BGC, and will someone close this?
Quote by Idiosyncracy
Okay then! Let's just all report each other on a ****ing opinion!

Don't even start BGC, and will someone close this?

What in the blue **** are you talking about? Where did anyone report you because of your opinion?
Quote by Archeo Avis
What in the blue **** are you talking about? Where did anyone report you because of your opinion?

That's not quite what I meant, I was trying to say that the reports started when we both started disagreeing differed. I pushed enter too early while I was trying to finish that thought.

Then BGC jumped in and tried to play the role of Jesus, and failed, only because self-appointed forum police are really just annoying.

I am sorry that I told you to die, and even on pain killers, typed words slip.

But I maintain my position on the Locrian mode, partially because of what I've learned in my music theory class, and what I read a while back on the "Learning Music Theory. The Beginning" Lesson:
Locrian - C Db Eb F Gb Ab Bb C. Very dark and evil sounding, this is a DIMINISHED scale. Pronounce (LOW-CREE-IN)
I apologize to threadstarter for closing this, since this is an interesting question. You've received a couple of answers fortunately.

I have to close this however, its just becoming a ridiculous argument.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??